cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RGSchrader
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,072
Message 1 of 10

Moto G 3rd gen keeps rebooting when turn wifi on/off, starts after not pickign up wifi signals

This is the 4th or 5th time this has happened in last 6 months.  I've spent hours searching online and no solution, it just seems to randomly stop after causing major frustration for a day or so.

It starts when phone not connecting to wifi.  I know wifi is working because happens either at home or workplace, with other devices remaining connected without issue.   I notice no wifi on phone.  When go to wifi, it does not show ANY available networks and just the bar 'spins' as searching.  Turn off and on to see if pick up signal, then phone will just start rebooting.  It continues for hours or days.  Right now started last night when tried to send a message on Whatsapp, and noticed no wifi signal, tried to check signals and started turning on and off, still happening now after almost 24 hrs and have to make calls!!!

Have turned off & on, have rebooted in safe mode, as soon as go to wifi to turn on, it starts rebooting again.  I've rebooted my wifi router and several other devices all workign on wifi without issue, just the MotoG keeps rebooting.

Right now, for second time have turned off completely and letting sit.  That seems to be the only thing that stops it, but have a conference call in 1 hour and need the phone to actually work!

Any ideas.  I've read post with somewhat similar, but not exact situation, and all the so called solutions do not seem to work.

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 1,041
Message 2 of 10

Re: Moto G 3rd gen keeps rebooting when turn wifi on/off, starts after not pickign up wifi signals

Hi RGSchrader

I understand how frustrating it is but let me see how can I be of help. May I ask what steps have you tried so as not to repeat it? 

Have you tried rebooting both your router and phone? Have you tried these troubleshooting stepsYou may also go to Device Help > Fix > Hardware Tests > WiFi. Let me know how it goes. 

Would you also update your profile with the serial/IMEI/MEID number of your phone? This will help us investigate. Make sure that your Motorola Privacy is enabled under Settings. Need help updating your profile? Click on this link.

Regards,
Ella
Motorola Support

RGSchrader
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,029
Message 3 of 10

Re: Moto G 3rd gen keeps rebooting when turn wifi on/off, starts after not pickign up wifi signals

I have tried, multiple times all the steps outlined in the trouble shooting.  Various other answers I've seen suggest software, but phones shows upd to date with android  6.0.1.

I added the IMEI to profile but to make it easier for you it is: ****

The MEID HEX is ***

Sorry, but not sure where to find  "Device Help > Fix > Hardware Tests > WiFi"  I don't see that on the phone, or on this webpage, unless I'm missing it someplace.

Also, there is a local coffee shop I go to and for the last month or so, since the last time this happened, can not access the wifi there.  The network shows up but will not connect, using the correct password.  My wife has same phone and she has no issue.  They even rebooted the wifi for me and still didn't and doesn't work.

Let me know where to find Device Help and I'll try anythnig they have there as well.    Right now, have wifi turned off so can use the phone, when try to turn it back on, it reboots and keeps rebooting.  Same when I turned it off, when rebooted and checked, wifi was off, so left it off to take conference call I had scheduled.

Thank you for any additional insight or suggestions.

*** edited dure privacy policy

RGSchrader
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,028
Message 4 of 10

What about "Network Settings reset" in the phone.  Says it will reset all network settings including wifi, cellular data and bluetooth.  Right now have bluetooth turned off, just not sure what will happen if reset "Cellular Data"?

RGSchrader
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,009
Message 5 of 10

Sent back two additional updates, and here is the third.  I let phone battery go completely dead and recharged because one time that seemed to fixed problem.  But still happening.  My daughter is on study abroad and communicating with me via WhatsApp which I can not access since unable to access wifi for 3 days now. 

I appreciate the original fast response but it did not provide a solution and  still awaiting answer to question sent back shortly after answer askign for clarification - how to find something mentioned with no reference of where.

I have used Motorola products/phones since the first ones came out - incluing testing the Simon - but this is the worst phone I have ever owned and about to go in and exchange for a Samsung.

Please to avoid losing a 30+ year customer, tell me how to fix this problem!

RGSchrader
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,001
Message 6 of 10

Went to carrier, THEY were very helpful.  Wiped phone and and seemed to stop it so far, from rebooting constantly as it has for the last 3 days and was effectively useless.

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 992
Message 7 of 10

@RGSchrader wrote:

I have tried, multiple times all the steps outlined in the trouble shooting.  Various other answers I've seen suggest software, but phones shows upd to date with android  6.0.1.

I added the IMEI to profile but to make it easier for you it is: ****

The MEID HEX is ***

Sorry, but not sure where to find  "Device Help > Fix > Hardware Tests > WiFi"  I don't see that on the phone, or on this webpage, unless I'm missing it someplace.

Also, there is a local coffee shop I go to and for the last month or so, since the last time this happened, can not access the wifi there.  The network shows up but will not connect, using the correct password.  My wife has same phone and she has no issue.  They even rebooted the wifi for me and still didn't and doesn't work.

Let me know where to find Device Help and I'll try anythnig they have there as well.    Right now, have wifi turned off so can use the phone, when try to turn it back on, it reboots and keeps rebooting.  Same when I turned it off, when rebooted and checked, wifi was off, so left it off to take conference call I had scheduled.

Thank you for any additional insight or suggestions.

*** edited dure privacy policy

Device help that I'm referring to is the Question mark icon on your phone. Just click on that and go to Fix. 

There are factors to consider if you are trying to connect to a public wifi. It might be that it already has reached the number of devices that are connected to the router's network. 

Yes, I would suggest resetting network settings. Go to Settings> Backup and Reset> Network Settings Reset > Reset Settings. It is correct, it will reset all the information prior to data, wifi and Bluetooth. All you need to do is to enter the same info like password just like when you first set it up. 

Have you tried booting your phone into safe mode? This will help identify if there is a specific app that is causing the issue. Just to verify, does it only happen while you are using Whatsapp? How about other third-party apps? 

Well reset should work just make sure that automatic restore is disabled so as to not restore the apps and you will need to observe the phone for a while without third-party apps installed and see if the phone will reboot while trying to connect to Wifi. 

- Ella

Keaak
Blue Screen Again
Views: 771
Message 8 of 10

I have a Moto G6 that I just got and have the same problem. The phone keeps resetting when wifi is enabled. Has a definite fix been found?

IsaacDiaba
What's DOS?
Views: 457
Message 9 of 10

My name is Isaac and my device have the same problem but when i turn on the data i will wait like one minute and my phone will restart,it does not stop unless i reset the phone before it will stop but when i reset the phone and i still turn on the data that same problem occur

Keaak
Blue Screen Again
Views: 335
Message 10 of 10

I have finally made my Moto G6 stable when using WiFi. 

The trick:  My moto phone crashes, but only if it is connected to a router that has both 2.4 and 5.0 GHZ, has wifi settings saved for both, it tries to connect to both at the same time, or freaks out about it in some way.  I deleted the 2.4 entry, and my phone hasn't reset itself for a couple days.

This seems like a very, very, very big bug, and for it to continue from G3's all the way through G6's is hard to believe.  Designing the software/hardware to only establish and stick to one connection at a time sounds like a logical path to me.

Top Kudoed Authors