Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Moto G PhonesMOTO G 3rd Gen
All Forum Topics
Options

10 Posts

12-09-2015

Australia

22 Signins

106 Page Views

• Views: 106
  • Message 31 of 53

Re: Moto G 3rd gen stopped recognizing SD card

2017-01-31, 23:30 PM

Great question!!!!!

Options

13 Posts

02-10-2016

United States of America

20 Signins

148 Page Views

• Views: 148
  • Message 32 of 53

2017-02-11, 15:57 PM

Mine just started with this issue. Thanks for the heads up on Instagram app. I removed it , rebooted and the card is reconized. Let's see if it holds up this time. A reboot cleared it temporaraly in the past but didn't hold.

Options

3 Posts

03-16-2017

India

1 Signins

11 Page Views

• Views: 11
  • Message 33 of 53

2017-03-16, 9:28 AM

This is the media storage issueon marshmallow  .When we disabled media storage the SD card not auto eject but then we enable it or switch off Moto g turbo this issue start again media storage disabled but over ringtones are not set our phone ...

.So this is media storage problem ask Motorola company to give this bug fix update

Options

3 Posts

03-16-2017

India

1 Signins

11 Page Views

• Message 34 of 53

2017-03-16, 9:30 AM

wrote:

Here's my experience. I've owned this phone for a year now. Had SD card mounted as internal, and all was working fine until 5-10-16 when out of the blue the sd card failed to be recognized. The power cycling method continued to work for about a month until that didn't help anymore. Figuring the 32GB Ultra Sandisk card must be the problem, I contacted Sandisk. They sent a new card out, and this time I decided to format the card as "external" in order to maybe eliminate any issues that was causing by having apps installed on the SD. I also did a factory reset to start over.  Fast forward to today, and I am again having the SD not recognized error.  So, I'm back to power cycling. Is it a marshmallow thing, or SD card thing? Shall I try different brand? I tend to think it is a software (Android) thing, not a SD card thing.   

edia storage issueon marshmallow .When we disabled media storage the SD card not auto eject but then we enable it or switch off Moto g turbo this issue start again media storage disabled but over ringtones are not set our phone ... .So this is media storage problem ask Motorola company to give this bug fix update

Options

3 Posts

03-16-2017

India

1 Signins

11 Page Views

• Message 35 of 53

2017-03-16, 9:35 AM

Media storage issue on marshmallow  .When we disabled media storage the SD card not auto eject but then we enable it or switch off Moto g turbo this issue start again media storage disabled but over ringtones are not set our phone ...

.So this is media storage problem ask Motorola company to give this bug fix update

Options

1 Posts

04-06-2017

India

1 Signins

9 Page Views

• Views: 9
  • Message 36 of 53

2017-04-06, 5:53 AM

i have formatted my SD card as internal and now it is not detecting 

I think is a software problem

because 2 of friends also are facing same problem since morning.

I have bought the SD card for 2000rs i want it back.

the data in it is even more important than the money i also do not have its backup.

Options

9 Posts

07-28-2017

Canada

11 Signins

190 Page Views

• Views: 190
  • Message 37 of 53

2017-07-28, 18:08 PM

I solved the problem with an improbable workaround. 100% safe and 100% result : SD card + data :)

2 steps :

1. I plugged the unrecognised SD card to the phone (Moto 3G) through an external SD Card reader and female to male Micro USB. The phone first recognised a new usb drive and started the process to mount the drive. It failed and the drive disappeared from the phone memory settings.
  2. Then I unplugged the SD card reader and simply put the SD card into its internal slot. The phone immediatly recognised it as the "lost" SD card. Got everything back to normal.

That's it. Don't ask me why I tried this procedure. I just did. My guess is that plugging a usb drive forced the mounting process to clean up potential mess..

I'll monitor to see whether the pb occurs again. Until now, the phone+card worked well for 2 years.

I'd be curious whether if this solution worked for you, and also whether if plugging a random SD card also fix the problem.

So sorry for all the folks who have lost their data so far. :smileysad:

I really hope my post puts an end to this hecatomb.

Options

9 Posts

07-28-2017

Canada

11 Signins

190 Page Views

• Views: 190
  • Message 38 of 53

2017-07-28, 20:00 PM

Solution inside !

I saved all my data and sd card : https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/MOTO-G-3rd-Gen/SD-Card-Missing-Please-Reinsert/m-p/3751841#M9407

Options

2 Posts

09-08-2017

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

2 Signins

23 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 23
  • Message 39 of 53

2017-09-08, 19:22 PM

This happened to me today too. Loads of photos on the card that were not backed up. Tried reinserting the card in the phone. No good. The storage settings showed "Checking..." for a while and then went back to "No card inserted". Couldn't use an sd reader directly into my PC - said it didn't have a recognised format - I guess because it was formatted for internal storage, and wanted me to reformat and lose everything.

What I did, with the back off the phone the whole time, was keep on and on slipping the sd card in and out of it's port. Same result ("Checking..." then "No Card Inserted" about the first 30 times). Then, on the 31st try or thereabouts, eureka, the phone found it and I could see all my photos in the gallery again.

I quickly tried to copy the files via my PC onto a hard disk but got a message saying there was an IO problem. So I whatsapped all my non-backed photos to a friend, which took ages, but worked. Then I tried copying the files via my PC again and this time it worked. 

I have had several USB sticks before that have done a similar thing, and only worked after lots of attempts of plugging it in.

Don't know if that will help anyone. Hope so.

Options

2 Posts

09-08-2017

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

2 Signins

23 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 23
  • Message 40 of 53

2017-09-08, 19:59 PM

...spoke too soon! In the middle of copying the content of the card to backup on my external hard drive, there was a message saying "Catastrophic Failure" and looking at the "Storage & USB" setting on the phone, again it was saying "card not inserted".

This time it took precisely 12 attempts of reinserting the SD card before it was recognised by the phone. I think the SD port on the phone is dodgy.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms