Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Moto G PhonesMOTO G 3rd Gen
All Forum Topics
Options

1 Posts

10-12-2017

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

1 Signins

17 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 17
  • Message 41 of 53

Re: Moto G 3rd gen stopped recognizing SD card

2017-10-12, 10:04 AM

Thanks for all the answers to this question.
I contacted Motorola support with this problem on a Sandisk 64Gb Extreme micro SD.  Although these cards are working satisfactorily on various other phones, cameras and camcorders I was told I needed to get a card for the Moto G of no more than 32Gb.

The 32Gb card has been read and formatted and dedicated to the phone.  It is not now recognised as being inserted or available by either the Sandisk memory app or any other sources of info on this smartphone.

The various posts here lead me to contemplate returning the phone as not fit for purpose as it was purchased on-line.

What do others think?

Options

1 Posts

11-12-2017

3 Signins

30 Page Views

• Views: 30
  • Message 42 of 53

2017-11-12, 14:54 PM

Wondered if anybody has had any resolution on yhis problem. Fortunately my photos are backed up on google so data loss is less of an issue (although all data is still intact on SD card as sometimes after reinsertion and reboot it is recognised and works for a few seconds).  But my camera will not function wich is a major problem, espec for whatsapp etc.  Anyone had success in returning the phone to MOTO?

wrote:

Thanks for all the answers to this question.
I contacted Motorola support with this problem on a Sandisk 64Gb Extreme micro SD.  Although these cards are working satisfactorily on various other phones, cameras and camcorders I was told I needed to get a card for the Moto G of no more than 32Gb.

The 32Gb card has been read and formatted and dedicated to the phone.  It is not now recognised as being inserted or available by either the Sandisk memory app or any other sources of info on this smartphone.

The various posts here lead me to contemplate returning the phone as not fit for purpose as it was purchased on-line.

What do others think?

Options

1 Posts

12-14-2017

2 Signins

17 Page Views

• Views: 17
  • Message 43 of 53

2017-12-14, 15:58 PM

Time and again I've had the problem of my Moto G 3rd gen phone which stops recognising my SD card. I've tried every solution (including 3 different 32gb sd cards); sometimes switching off and on leads to a temporary recognition of the sd card but it doesn't last. I've spent hours trying every recommended fix I could find - and still no solution.

At last I've found the solution. I've got a Samsung J5 and given up on my Moto G. I really can't carry on wondering when my phone would stop working properly. At first I thought it was a great phone but I've lost all confidence in it. For a moment I considered a Moto G5S but, in view of my experience, I wasn't prepared to risk using  the Moto brand again. No more Motorola phones for me!

Options

10 Posts

12-09-2015

Australia

22 Signins

106 Page Views

• Views: 106
  • Message 44 of 53

2017-12-14, 22:06 PM

I am still using my G 3 with external card. I bought the G 3 for the 2 Sims. Australia has phased out 2g networks which makes it useless for that! It has trashed at least 5 internal cards. I too am very unlikely to buy another Motorola. Also had to have it repaired under warranty because it stopped charging. Was left without phone for 2 weeks. Apart from all the problems it's a great phone a bit like the Titanic was a great ship! 

Options

2 Posts

01-31-2018

Australia

3 Signins

28 Page Views

• Views: 28
  • Message 45 of 53

2018-01-31, 3:40 AM

Moto X Force has the same problem. This has now happened twice for me, a few months apart.

SanDisk 32 Gb card worked perfectly in the phone for many months (as external storage card, not formatted as internal storage), then suddenly the phone stopped reading it (in the middle of playing a song).  The only thing that worked to get the card readable again was to take the card out and put it back again. Just doing a phone reboot didn't work.  Then the phone would read it OK for a few minutes, then stop again.  Repeat these steps, ad infinitum.  I could plug my phone into a PC to retrieve files off the SD card, but only for a few minutes at a time until the card was not recognised by the phone again.  

I have now reformatted the SD card while in the phone.  It's working now, but I don't know when the next time will be that the phone will decide not to recognise the SD card.  I will only be using the external SD storage for emergencies from now on.  Twice bitten....

Options

1 Posts

02-10-2018

United States of America

2 Signins

12 Page Views

• Views: 12
  • Message 46 of 53

2018-02-10, 18:39 PM

Why doesn't anyone from Lenovo offer any solutions in this thread? I will never buy a Lenovo phone again. My wife and I are having the same problems: the SD card works for a few weeks and then suddenly is no longer recognized. 

Options

1 Posts

08-15-2018

1 Signins

79 Page Views

• Views: 79
  • Message 47 of 53

2018-08-15, 5:54 AM
I have had this happen to me 3 times with this phone, I make sure all important apps like banking and money sending apps are on my phone and not my card, and make sure you have automatic backup activated.
My phone is not reading my card again as of today so I will have to set to forget and try again.
Options

3 Posts

09-05-2018

United States of America

4 Signins

24 Page Views

• Views: 24
  • Message 48 of 53

2018-09-05, 3:20 AM
Spent $$ and hours trying to get sd cards to work.
No SD card solution yet!
Options

3 Posts

10-05-2018

10 Signins

52 Page Views

• Views: 52
  • Message 49 of 53

2018-10-30, 17:00 PM

Did you ever resolve this problem?

Options

3 Posts

09-05-2018

United States of America

4 Signins

24 Page Views

• Views: 24
  • Message 50 of 53

2018-10-30, 17:51 PM

I turn off the Moto every night.

That seems to solve reading the SD card most of the time.

I assume heat may be the issue?

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms