Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Glpa
What's DOS?
Views: 14,021
Message 21 of 47

Re: Moto G 3rd gen stopped recognizing SD card

Here's my experience. I've owned this phone for a year now. Had SD card mounted as internal, and all was working fine until 5-10-16 when out of the blue the sd card failed to be recognized. The power cycling method continued to work for about a month until that didn't help anymore. Figuring the 32GB Ultra Sandisk card must be the problem, I contacted Sandisk. They sent a new card out, and this time I decided to format the card as "external" in order to maybe eliminate any issues that was causing by having apps installed on the SD. I also did a factory reset to start over.  Fast forward to today, and I am again having the SD not recognized error.  So, I'm back to power cycling. Is it a marshmallow thing, or SD card thing? Shall I try different brand? I tend to think it is a software (Android) thing, not a SD card thing.   

dzulu
What's DOS?
Views: 13,260
Message 22 of 47

I'm in about the exact same position as you with my Moto 3g phone. My SD card was not being recognized by phone, I was getting the message, 'SD card missing', 'reinsert SD card' or something of that sort. Whereas my SD card was in the phone all the while! I was hoping I could salvage the files in it with a card reader, but alas my computer is asking me to format the card!

Something seems to be wrong with motorola phones. I recently updated the OS a few days prior to this happening. I initially did not want  the update, but was bludgeoned into doing it by the annoying persistent message to update by motorola. I was reluctant about the update because of my bad experience the last time I did an update - my phone would not make or receive calls, the internet stopped working etc. I was only able to fix it after I found out that there were others with a similar experience who solved it by reverting to the previous OS. I then made up my mind never to do an update again, but was 'forced' to do this one by motorola! 

By the way, a few days before this SD card failure crap, after the update, my phone would not come on (again a problem experienced by others after an update!), and this was solved by doing a 'hard restart ' or so. I'm really disappointed with this phone. 

Funningly, my wife has the exact same phone, but has never experienced any of the numerous woes I've had!

69bertie
Paper Tape
Views: 12,786
Message 23 of 47

Interesting thread. Wife has the same problem whereas I do not. Both Moto G 3rd Gen. Hers and my phone both have 16Gb SD cards installed. Her phone is the 8Gb version whereas mine is the 16Gb. Her SD card is installed as internal memory, mine is external. Both are running the latest OS and latest updates for all apps. However this problem comes up every so often on her phone only. I suspect it's more to do with running out of installed internal phone memory than memory per se. She likes to take lots of photos and videos hence the decision to install the SD as internal. Installing it as internal, means the card gets encrypted - its mentioned in the blurb. An SD card installed as external doesn't, which is why a computer can read it.

What happens when her phone plays up. I reboot it and get her to move her photos etc to another location off the phone. This happened as recently as a couple of weeks ago. Doing that, the SD card has been recognised ever since. It was the same problem back a few months before that - solution was the same then. Free up internal phone memory.

My phone has never had this problem. But then I don't take lots of photos etc to clog up the phone memory. I usually have them set to be saved on the SD card.

fredcpp
What's DOS?
Views: 11,713
Message 24 of 47

Motorola Moto G3 owner over here. Currently having this problem, the SD Card stops working when used; file transfers or music reading. Happens daily, sooner or later. a good quality Sandisk card I got from a trusted retailer, and another I got with my local supplier.

This is a problem in The Android SD management or The Phone. Good to know Lenovo is not interested on releasing a fix for this. Is It actually that hard to push an update for the phone? 

Too bad Motorola has become this in a short time. I guess we will have to move out to something else. 

BlackCountryBob
Paper Tape
Views: 11,616
Message 25 of 47

I also have the same problem, mine is a 16GB version.  It has a 32GB SanDisk Ultra card.  One morning on turning it on, it said either SD card not reconised, insert SD card.  My memory card was also installed as an internal card and as a result of the formatting, it can't be read by another device.  I've inserted a new memory card but it won't save to it.  Not very impressed at all as phone is only 10 months old, have had the problem for a few weeks.

We bought a Moto X Player for my daughter and that's been horrendous from the start. Think I'm sensing a pattern here?

William509
Paper Tape
Views: 11,355
Message 26 of 47

I had this problem with my Moto G3 and 32GB SD card after upgrading from 6.0.0 to 6.0.1, but as I could not find a solution online and the drop outs were very frequent I decided to do a factory reset. I had made sure all was backed up and it took some time to reinstall it all, but since then it has been fine - and quicker.

I see that all the previous complaints were almost a year old. Why has Lenovo not corrected it yet?

Gilsworth
Fanfold Paper
Views: 11,348
Message 27 of 47

Great question!!!!!

doug63026
Paper Tape
Views: 11,098
Message 28 of 47

Mine just started with this issue. Thanks for the heads up on Instagram app. I removed it , rebooted and the card is reconized. Let's see if it holds up this time. A reboot cleared it temporaraly in the past but didn't hold.

What's DOS?
Views: 10,180
Message 29 of 47

This is the media storage issueon marshmallow  .When we disabled media storage the SD card not auto eject but then we enable it or switch off Moto g turbo this issue start again media storage disabled but over ringtones are not set our phone ...

.So this is media storage problem ask Motorola company to give this bug fix update

What's DOS?
Views: 10,180
Message 30 of 47

@Glpa wrote:

Here's my experience. I've owned this phone for a year now. Had SD card mounted as internal, and all was working fine until 5-10-16 when out of the blue the sd card failed to be recognized. The power cycling method continued to work for about a month until that didn't help anymore. Figuring the 32GB Ultra Sandisk card must be the problem, I contacted Sandisk. They sent a new card out, and this time I decided to format the card as "external" in order to maybe eliminate any issues that was causing by having apps installed on the SD. I also did a factory reset to start over.  Fast forward to today, and I am again having the SD not recognized error.  So, I'm back to power cycling. Is it a marshmallow thing, or SD card thing? Shall I try different brand? I tend to think it is a software (Android) thing, not a SD card thing.   

edia storage issueon marshmallow .When we disabled media storage the SD card not auto eject but then we enable it or switch off Moto g turbo this issue start again media storage disabled but over ringtones are not set our phone ... .So this is media storage problem ask Motorola company to give this bug fix update

Top Kudoed Authors