cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
What's DOS?
Views: 7,943
Message 31 of 47

Re: Moto G 3rd gen stopped recognizing SD card

Media storage issue on marshmallow  .When we disabled media storage the SD card not auto eject but then we enable it or switch off Moto g turbo this issue start again media storage disabled but over ringtones are not set our phone ...

.So this is media storage problem ask Motorola company to give this bug fix update

laconis
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 5,507
Message 32 of 47

zamdan
What's DOS?
Views: 4,793
Message 33 of 47

This happened to me today too. Loads of photos on the card that were not backed up. Tried reinserting the card in the phone. No good. The storage settings showed "Checking..." for a while and then went back to "No card inserted". Couldn't use an sd reader directly into my PC - said it didn't have a recognised format - I guess because it was formatted for internal storage, and wanted me to reformat and lose everything.

What I did, with the back off the phone the whole time, was keep on and on slipping the sd card in and out of it's port. Same result ("Checking..." then "No Card Inserted" about the first 30 times). Then, on the 31st try or thereabouts, eureka, the phone found it and I could see all my photos in the gallery again.

I quickly tried to copy the files via my PC onto a hard disk but got a message saying there was an IO problem. So I whatsapped all my non-backed photos to a friend, which took ages, but worked. Then I tried copying the files via my PC again and this time it worked. 

I have had several USB sticks before that have done a similar thing, and only worked after lots of attempts of plugging it in.

Don't know if that will help anyone. Hope so.

zamdan
What's DOS?
Views: 4,787
Message 34 of 47

...spoke too soon! In the middle of copying the content of the card to backup on my external hard drive, there was a message saying "Catastrophic Failure" and looking at the "Storage & USB" setting on the phone, again it was saying "card not inserted".

This time it took precisely 12 attempts of reinserting the SD card before it was recognised by the phone. I think the SD port on the phone is dodgy.

VicSu
What's DOS?
Views: 4,225
Message 35 of 47

Thanks for all the answers to this question.
I contacted Motorola support with this problem on a Sandisk 64Gb Extreme micro SD.  Although these cards are working satisfactorily on various other phones, cameras and camcorders I was told I needed to get a card for the Moto G of no more than 32Gb.

The 32Gb card has been read and formatted and dedicated to the phone.  It is not now recognised as being inserted or available by either the Sandisk memory app or any other sources of info on this smartphone.

The various posts here lead me to contemplate returning the phone as not fit for purpose as it was purchased on-line.

What do others think?

noblejoble
What's DOS?
Views: 3,632
Message 36 of 47

Wondered if anybody has had any resolution on yhis problem. Fortunately my photos are backed up on google so data loss is less of an issue (although all data is still intact on SD card as sometimes after reinsertion and reboot it is recognised and works for a few seconds).  But my camera will not function wich is a major problem, espec for whatsapp etc.  Anyone had success in returning the phone to MOTO?

@VicSu wrote:

Thanks for all the answers to this question.
I contacted Motorola support with this problem on a Sandisk 64Gb Extreme micro SD.  Although these cards are working satisfactorily on various other phones, cameras and camcorders I was told I needed to get a card for the Moto G of no more than 32Gb.

The 32Gb card has been read and formatted and dedicated to the phone.  It is not now recognised as being inserted or available by either the Sandisk memory app or any other sources of info on this smartphone.

The various posts here lead me to contemplate returning the phone as not fit for purpose as it was purchased on-line.

What do others think?

MotoFlop
What's DOS?
Views: 2,930
Message 37 of 47

Time and again I've had the problem of my Moto G 3rd gen phone which stops recognising my SD card. I've tried every solution (including 3 different 32gb sd cards); sometimes switching off and on leads to a temporary recognition of the sd card but it doesn't last. I've spent hours trying every recommended fix I could find - and still no solution.

At last I've found the solution. I've got a Samsung J5 and given up on my Moto G. I really can't carry on wondering when my phone would stop working properly. At first I thought it was a great phone but I've lost all confidence in it. For a moment I considered a Moto G5S but, in view of my experience, I wasn't prepared to risk using  the Moto brand again. No more Motorola phones for me!

Gilsworth
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,913
Message 38 of 47

I am still using my G 3 with external card. I bought the G 3 for the 2 Sims. Australia has phased out 2g networks which makes it useless for that! It has trashed at least 5 internal cards. I too am very unlikely to buy another Motorola. Also had to have it repaired under warranty because it stopped charging. Was left without phone for 2 weeks. Apart from all the problems it's a great phone a bit like the Titanic was a great ship! 

crankypants99
Paper Tape
Views: 2,244
Message 39 of 47

Moto X Force has the same problem. This has now happened twice for me, a few months apart.

SanDisk 32 Gb card worked perfectly in the phone for many months (as external storage card, not formatted as internal storage), then suddenly the phone stopped reading it (in the middle of playing a song).  The only thing that worked to get the card readable again was to take the card out and put it back again. Just doing a phone reboot didn't work.  Then the phone would read it OK for a few minutes, then stop again.  Repeat these steps, ad infinitum.  I could plug my phone into a PC to retrieve files off the SD card, but only for a few minutes at a time until the card was not recognised by the phone again.  

I have now reformatted the SD card while in the phone.  It's working now, but I don't know when the next time will be that the phone will decide not to recognise the SD card.  I will only be using the external SD storage for emergencies from now on.  Twice bitten....

johnqqqqqqqqq
What's DOS?
Views: 2,104
Message 40 of 47

Why doesn't anyone from Lenovo offer any solutions in this thread? I will never buy a Lenovo phone again. My wife and I are having the same problems: the SD card works for a few weeks and then suddenly is no longer recognized. 

Top Kudoed Authors