Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JD_in_dc
Paper Tape
Views: 960
Message 1 of 8

Moto G Turbo Dual Sim loses data connection

I'd had a problem with my dual sim Moto G Turbo (unlocked) I can't figure out. Android 6.0.1.

Sim card A = NZ mobile carrier, 4G network

Sim card B = USA T Mobile

By design, the T Mobile sim should revert to 2G data connection when I'm outside of the USA. All of the things I've tried below were tested when outside of the USA.

Problem:
When either sim card A or sim card B is in either sim slot 1 or sim slot 2 on the phone alone, they both work correctly, able to get calls and send data. When the NZ sim card is in the phone alone, it easily and quickly obtains a 4G connection.

When both sim cards are in the phone at the same time, neither sim card can send or get data connection. Both of these sim cards used to work fine in this phone at the same time. Then one day, when the NZ sim stopped getting data connection, I switched slots, and that fixed it for about a day. A day after that, neither slot would provide data connection, no matter how many times restarted or swapped slots.

What I have tried to solve the problem:
- With both sim cards in the phone, swap slots. Still no data connection for either.

- Went to Settings->Apps->Settings->Storage->cleared data and cleared cache. Still no data connection.

- Both sim cards in the phone, then turn off Tmobile sim via the sim card toggle. Data on the NZ sim takes a very long time (up to an hour) to register as data capable (and never gets 4G, only 2G). No data is available through the TMobile sim.

- Rebooted the phone many many times. Still no data connection.

- Used the dailer and dailed (Removed) to turn off radio and turn it back on. Still no data connection.

Thoughts?

Posted edited to remove the dial code. Sharing of hidden menus are against the rules: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Forum-Feedback/Moto-Owners-Forum-Site-Rules/td-p/3269704 

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 938
Message 2 of 8

Re: Moto G Turbo Dual Sim loses data connection

@JD_in_dc wrote:

I'd had a problem with my dual sim Moto G Turbo (unlocked) I can't figure out. Android 6.0.1.

By design, the T Mobile sim should revert to 2G data connection when I'm outside of the USA. All of the things I've tried below were tested when outside of the USA.

Problem:
When either sim card A or sim card B is in either sim slot 1 or sim slot 2 on the phone alone, they both work correctly, able to get calls and send data. When the NZ sim card is in the phone alone, it easily and quickly obtains a 4G connection.

When both sim cards are in the phone at the same time, neither sim card can send or get data connection. Both of these sim cards used to work fine in this phone at the same time. Then one day, when the NZ sim stopped getting data connection, I switched slots, and that fixed it for about a day. A day after that, neither slot would provide data connection, no matter how many times restarted or swapped slots.

- With both sim cards in the phone, swap slots. Still no data connection for either.

- Went to Settings->Apps->Settings->Storage->cleared data and cleared cache. Still no data connection.

- Both sim cards in the phone, then turn off Tmobile sim via the sim card toggle. Data on the NZ sim takes a very long time (up to an hour) to register as data capable (and never gets 4G, only 2G). No data is available through the TMobile sim.

- Used the dailer and dailed (Removed) to turn off radio and turn it back on. Still no data connection.

Thoughts?

Posted edited to remove the dial code. Sharing of hidden menus are against the rules: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Forum-Feedback/Moto-Owners-Forum-Site-Rules/td-p/3269704 

Reset network under backup and restore is worth trying. Factory reset also and test before adding or restoring apps. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
JD_in_dc
Paper Tape
Views: 934
Message 3 of 8

I forgot to that I did in fact try the network reset and that didn't help the situation.

Full phone reset is possible. Trying to avoid this unless someone else has a better answer. I would like to hear if this is a hardware or software problem. Thoughts?

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 909
Message 4 of 8

@JD_in_dc wrote:

Problem:

- Used the dailer and dailed (Removed) to turn off radio and turn it back on. Still no data connection.

Thoughts?

Hi JD_in_dc,

Thanks for sharing this with us. Would you please update your profile with the serial/IMEI/MEID number of your phone? This will help us investigate. Make sure that your Motorola Privacy is enabled.

Update your profile here.

Regards,
Anne
Motorola Support

JD_in_dc
Paper Tape
Views: 901
Message 5 of 8

My Moto G Turbo is a dual sim version, and the profile doesn't allow me to put two imei numbers in the preferences field, so I've only put in the imei of the second sim slot.

Motorola Admin Motorola Admin
Motorola Admin
Views: 887
Message 6 of 8

@JD_in_dc wrote:

I forgot to that I did in fact try the network reset and that didn't help the situation.

Full phone reset is possible. Trying to avoid this unless someone else has a better answer. I would like to hear if this is a hardware or software problem. Thoughts?

We're looking into this. One thought we have is that it could be related to band changes on the NZ carrier. But we're not sure yet. Thanks for your patience as we investigate.

Please do not PM me - if you have issues, search the forums for threads on your topic and post there, or start a new thread. Thanks!
JD_in_dc
Paper Tape
Views: 832
Message 7 of 8

I have some additional information which may or may not help. I was able to obtain a new sim for my tmobile carrier, thinking that maybe it was a problem with the sim card. At first I put both sim cards in the phone at the same time. Both sim cards worked fine, with the Spark sim in sim slot 1 and that sim being the sim selected as the main sim for data, and the Tmobile sim in sim slot 2. I then turned on wifi. That is when both sim cards showed an exclamation symbol in the signal icon. Data was obtained fine through the wifi signal.

I then turned off wifi. The icons continued to show the exclamation symbol in the signal icon, and never returned to a normal signal symbol. I tried to go into setting and search for the carrier for each sim (search for Spark network on sim 1). It would find the network and register, but the exclamation point would continue to appear and no data could be obtained through the phone. The TMobile sim in sim slot 2 continued to show the exclamation symbol in the signal icon.

I rebooted the phone, and now both Sims symbols are normal, and data can be received through the Spark sim.

I repeated the action of turning on the wifi - and the same result occurs: exclamation points in both sim symbols. When Wifi is then turned off, both exclamation symbols remain and no data can be obtained, no matter if I search for networks and connect or not. Only a reboot seems to allow the phone to again recieve data through the sim.

My analysis: Turning on wifi on the phone seems to disrupt the ability of the phone to regain sim data connection when the wifi is later turned off. Reboots seem to be the only solution to regaining data through either of the sim cards. 

Any thoughts on the cause?

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 808
Message 8 of 8

@JD_in_dc wrote:

I have some additional information which may or may not help. I was able to obtain a new sim for my tmobile carrier, thinking that maybe it was a problem with the sim card. At first I put both sim cards in the phone at the same time. Both sim cards worked fine, with the Spark sim in sim slot 1 and that sim being the sim selected as the main sim for data, and the Tmobile sim in sim slot 2. I then turned on wifi. That is when both sim cards showed an exclamation symbol in the signal icon. Data was obtained fine through the wifi signal.

I then turned off wifi. The icons continued to show the exclamation symbol in the signal icon, and never returned to a normal signal symbol. I tried to go into setting and search for the carrier for each sim (search for Spark network on sim 1). It would find the network and register, but the exclamation point would continue to appear and no data could be obtained through the phone. The TMobile sim in sim slot 2 continued to show the exclamation symbol in the signal icon.

I rebooted the phone, and now both Sims symbols are normal, and data can be received through the Spark sim.

I repeated the action of turning on the wifi - and the same result occurs: exclamation points in both sim symbols. When Wifi is then turned off, both exclamation symbols remain and no data can be obtained, no matter if I search for networks and connect or not. Only a reboot seems to allow the phone to again recieve data through the sim.

My analysis: Turning on wifi on the phone seems to disrupt the ability of the phone to regain sim data connection when the wifi is later turned off. Reboots seem to be the only solution to regaining data through either of the sim cards. 

Any thoughts on the cause?

Hi JD_in_dc,

Let's see if we can figure out what's causing the disconnect. I'd like to get a Bugreport over to our Bluetooth Engineers.

1. Go to Settings -> About Phone -> Tap on Build number 7 times on the build number to go into the developer options mode]
2. After the above steps, Developer options will be enabled.
3. Go to Settings ->Developer options -> Enable USB debugging > Toggle On
4. Enable Settings -> Developer options -> Enable Bug Report shortcut > Toggle On
5. Enable Settings -> Developer options -> Enable Enable Bluetooth HCI snoop log > Toggle On
6. Once the issue is reproduced, Go to Settings -> Developer options -> Click on take bug report or Press Power button and then choose Bug Report from the Power down menu.
7. Wait for some time until the bug report is collected. It takes around 3 to 4 minutes to collect the Bug Report.
8. Then upload the BugReport to your personal Google Drive and then share the link to the BugReport on the forums in a reply or via a private message.
9. Provide observations of what you saw happen right before the bug report was taken. Please indicate the time that you observed the behavior in local time.

Thanks.

Regards,
Anne
Motorola Support