05-26-2016 03:12 PM - edited 05-26-2016 04:23 PM
Hello, I own a Moto G 3rd Gen Turbo Edition. I'm currently backpacking and have no way of returning this device so hoping someone has a clever idea to fix my problem.
Problem : Last night I charged the phone via USB on my laptop. This is the first time I have done this. Now, the phone will only charge whilst switched off and attached to the USB. If turned on nothing happens. If I use the wall charger whilst turned on, nothing happens. If turned off, the Motorola M appears and I see the chage symbol momentarily, but this whole process just cycles and I feel it vibrate as if it has been unplugged.
System : The phone is running marshmallow and is completely up to date (checked via System). I do not use the turbo adaptor as its for Colombia and currently in Chile (pin onfiguration on wall), but have had no problems using an apple charger or blackberry charger up until charging via computer
Problem Solving :
1. I have tried fully charging the phone and retesting with my usual cable and plug
2. I have tried different USB cables with both my usual adaptoprs and all USB cables work between laptop and phone
3. I have tried the phone in safe mode
4. I have gone into recovery mode (phone switched off, power button + vol down) and can see that Battery = OK
5. I have wiped the cache via the menu after recovery mode (power button and vol up)
6. I have factory reset the device via recovery menu
7. I have spoken to Motorola but would need to discuss with sources in Colombia as that is where I bought it. Thats not an option unfortunately as I'm backpacking.
To try still :
1. Wait till power is at 0% an try plugging in whilst pressing power button and vol down (suggestion by motorola but not convinced as not charging via wall socket, but will try)
2. get an adaptor for my colombian turbo charger so that it fits in Chile socket, although not seen any so far.
UPDATE : I have been testing Factory Mode via the bootloader. Then the CommServer starts. Via the CQA menu, I was watching the battery test and saw that the percentage went up. It's a temporary workaround but if I boot into this mode, it charges. It doesnt display its charging but the % is going up. Weird though that when turning off the phone in this mode, it sits permanently at powering off until I unplug it.
Any help wouid make my day. This is a usful tool for me travelling and really hope not to spend the rest of the trip charging it switched off on a laptop!! :-)
Solved! Go to Solution.
05-28-2016 11:05 AM
Problem is fixed :-)
just to add to the data incase someone else has the problem :-
1. I enabled developer mode so I could close processes (7 taps on Settings ---> About ----> Build Number). Adds Developer settings into the settings menu. This allowed me to shut everfything down that wasn't necessary. Didnt work
2. When powering off, I held down the power off option to go to safe mode. This allowed me to charge but no charging lightning bolt. Seemed to point to a voltage issue to the battery based on what i was reading.
3. I followed motorolas advice and drained the battery. then held power button and volume down for 3 minutes whilst plugged in and its now charging properly.
A relief for this backpacker and certainly have alot more knowledge on android!!
01-17-2017 09:35 AM
Hope it helps. It worked for awhile for me and I was back to square one. The only other solutions were trying a multitude of cheap adaptors where one worked. The other solution is to buy a cheap usb recharge pack to charge from which also works. The problem for me is an issue with voltage on the battery. As I have a moto g turbo which I bought in Colombia, Motorola's only solution is to return it to Colombia.