Message 11 of 19

Re: Moto x play not charging

After restart it was showing

Sonugill
Paper Tape
Views: 3,529
Message 12 of 19

After 2 hrs it somehow charged upto 82 percent then it is showing *find snapshot 

Sonugill
Paper Tape
Views: 3,529
Message 13 of 19

All time i have used original charger.

Lowlander1
Paper Tape
Views: 3,525
Message 14 of 19

They should replace it. Phone Motorola..which is Lenovo,  directly and ship it back to them.

yampilop
Paper Tape
Views: 2,766
Message 15 of 19

I have the same problem. Tried factory reset and other chargers. It only charges in recovery mode.

Please, we need a solution. There are a lot of similar cases.

AndyP00
Paper Tape
Views: 2,539
Message 16 of 19

A partial solution....

1/ The problem is almost certainly caused by a faulty connection or battery temperature sensor, so that the software  thinks the battery is too cold to be charged

2/ Starting your phone in factory mode overrides the software which stops the battery charging - at least to some degree - and usually allows the phone to charge to 80% ish..

3/ Sometimes restarting (normal mode) the phone will keep recharging.

Note - this seems to be a problem on many brands of phone.

The solution does NOT generally seem to be to replace the battery... 

I have not yet found a full solution.

yampilop
Paper Tape
Views: 2,527
Message 17 of 19

Same problem, described as follows:

• Moto X Play (XT1563) stopped charging, despite the charger icon shows the lightning symbol. In the configuration menu it says "Not charging".
  • Rebooting the device didn't work.
  • In fastboot mode, plugging the charger shows "(Charging)". To keep this status and avoid automatic reset, start Recovery mode.
  • Tried flashing stock ROM. Nothing changed.
  • Unlocked the phone, installed TWRP, flashed LinageOS and rooted the device (I know, I know, I voided my warrany. After all, here in Argentina this warranty is useless). Nothing changed. Same behaviour.
  • Starting the phone in fastboot mode and then enter recovery (TWRP) shows an invalid and very high CPU temperature value. This was the only way to charge it then.
  • Bought a replacement battery. I changed it (I know, I know, I voided my warranty again). Nothing changed.
  • I found in a forum that changing the value of /sys/class/power_supply/battery/charging_enabled to 1 forces the phone to charge. It works, but after some seconds it goes back to 0.
  • Make a script to permanently poll if USB charger is connected every 60 seconds, and then start to set the file value to 1. This allows me to charge my phone, despite is a horrible solution. The script is:
#!/bin/sh

echo "Starting script to force charge"

while :
do
	connected=`cat /sys/class/power_supply/usb/present`
	if [ "$connected" == "1" ]; then
		echo 1 > /sys/class/power_supply/battery/charging_enabled
		sleep 10
	else
		sleep 60
	fi
done

echo "Script finished"

As other users supose, I think there is a hardware issue with one temperature sensor in the main board, and that triggers a protect mechanism that avoids the charging process. I think it's not related with battery sensors because changing it does not solve the issue. Also it's not related to software, because flashing other ROMs didn't solve it either.

I hope Motorola Staff could give us a solution that allow us to keep using this phone. I was thinking they could provide a way to disable that "protect mechanism" safely.

Geofficus
What's DOS?
Views: 1,955
Message 18 of 19

Same thing happened to me after Nougat update, BUT the phone shut down because I updated without it being plugged in! Whilst charging, the battery icon doesn't show up - I left it for awhile 45 mins? then turned it on - it booted! so I think battery has to be at about 45% until it turns on, but because there's no icon, you don't know until you leave it, ....impatient....freaking out, etc.... just leave it for a bit

phil311
What's DOS?
Views: 153
Message 19 of 19

Hi,

Yes there is a problem with the battery temperature sensor on my phone also.

My phone runs Lineage OS 15.1 but as you noted this problem is hadware so using another rom does not help.

Using a 'Droid Info' application the Battery temperature sensor is showing -30 degrees and is therefore not charging.

About your script I saved it as 'charge.sh' in the phone internal memory. so in a Terminal emulator i did

'cd / sdcard' and then  'sh charge.sh' to run it but after the echo line 'Starting script to force charge' I get a:

'cat: /sys/class/power_supply/usb/present: Permission denied'

error message.

Any idea why I get this error ?

Should the script be place in a special directory or run in a special way?

Thanks in advance

Top Kudoed Authors