Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Shardlake
What's DOS?
Views: 5,971
Message 1 of 26

MotoG3 - No files show up on My Computer

Hi. I'm trying to fix my Dad's phone at the moment which is a Motorola G3. The problem is that no files show up on My Computer / Computer screen. It used to work but now it shows the G3 in Computer but no files / no SD card etc. I've tested it on a Windows 7 PC and a Windows 10 laptop. Here is a list of things I've tried without success. I'm trying to avoid doing a factory reset:

1. Cleared all app caches using an app cache clearing app

2. Updated any apps

3. Opened the back and cleaned the contacts on the SD card and SIM card

4. Tried different computers (mentioned above). This means it has to be the phone itself causing the problem

5. Installed and updated motorola device manager

6. Enabled installation from unknown sources in Android

7. Ran an Android update in about section of Android

8. Restarted phone several times during all of the above

MotoG3 in Computer shows no files on USB

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 2 of 26

Re: MotoG3 - No files show up on My Computer

When you hook up the phone to the computer, and then pull down the notification bar, do you see a message that says the phone is in charge only mode?  If so, tap that message and put the phone into either MTP or PTP mode.  You should then see the files on the phone via the computer.

Let us know...

Shardlake
What's DOS?
Message 3 of 26

I'd forgotten about that option. Yes it partially fixed the issue. The internal memory and the SD card show up now. I can access the internal memory but there is still an issue on the SD card. It says 17.7gb free (32gb card) but no files are shown when clicking through.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 4 of 26

If the card is formatted as adoptable internal storage, then the computer will see the combined internal plus SD card as one "blob" of storage.  When using this method, you can only see the SD card's actual contents from the phone itself.

If the card is formatted as as external storage, it can be removed from the phone and read in another device or computer.  If it's adoptable internal storage, it can't be used by or seen by another device or computer.

Does this help at all?

Shardlake
What's DOS?
Message 5 of 26

crystallet said:

If the card is formatted as adoptable internal storage, then the computer will see the combined internal plus SD card as one "blob" of storage.  When using this method, you can only see the SD card's actual contents from the phone itself.

If the card is formatted as as external storage, it can be removed from the phone and read in another device or computer.  If it's adoptable internal storage, it can't be used by or seen by another device or computer.

Does this help at all?

View original

That seemed like a likely explanation but I just did a test. I removed the SD card and ran it separately in an adapter. The music and other files played from it just fine. So I'm guessing this rules out the blob explanation?

I'm just going to scan it for errors etc.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 6 of 26

Shardlake said:

crystallet said:

Does this help at all?

View original

That seemed like a likely explanation but I just did a test. I removed the SD card and ran it separately in an adapter. The music and other files played from it just fine. So I'm guessing this rules out the blob explanation?

I'm just going to scan it for errors etc.

View original

Yup.  No blob.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 7 of 26

If you have files on the card that are not showing up when phone is plugged into PC (card is formatted as external) - see this thread:

https://forums.motorola.com/posts/b1a0b4e72d#

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Shardlake
What's DOS?
Views: 5,972
Message 8 of 26

AlphaDog said:

If you have files on the card that are not showing up when phone is plugged into PC (card is formatted as external) - see this thread:

https://forums.motorola.com/posts/b1a0b4e72d#

View original

That is a very recent post and it seems he has exactly the same issue. This hapenned to the phone just after upgrading with the new update. My brother had the same issue as well (same phone). He just uses some software to access the files instead. BTW the phone can find the files just fine using Astro. This upgrade has a bug.

Shardlake
What's DOS?
Views: 5,997
Message 9 of 26

FIXED, SOLUTION FOLLOWS

To fix the issue if you have no blob as above:

1. Remove SD card and put it into your computer using an SD / USB adapter

2. Copy all files on SD card to pc C: drive for a backup (ensure the filesize is the same as on SD card)

3. Format SD card as Fat32 (default settings)

4. Copy all files back over

5. Put the SD card back in the phone

6. Turn phone off and on again

7. Access the pulldown menu. There should be settings asking you if you want to use the SD card for the phone only or other devices. Choose other devices.

8. Plug the phone back into the pc. You should now be able to access your SD card files again.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 5,972
Message 10 of 26

Yes, there are actually 2 solutions as mentioned in the other thread:

This appears limited to files already on a card - like the phone has an old index of the card, and is ignoring it.. This forces the phone to reindex. If you take out the new card and put in your oOne workaround that worked for my friend - take the card out, put a different card inld card, it should re-index and you should see your files.

Another option - format the card and start over. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum