Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
duggo33
Fanfold Paper
Views: 8,203
Message 1 of 15

No internet even though successfully connected to WiFi on Moto G3

For the past few days I have been unable to connect to the internet with my Moto G 3rd generation.

Settings shows that the connection to my home WiFi is "on", but I cannot get email nor connect through a browser.  My wife's Moto G 1st gen phone uses the same connection and has no trouble sending or receiving email and she is able to browse the internet without any problem. Similarly my Samsung tablet has no problem connecting with the internet.

I have turned my WiFi connection off and then reconnected to my router complete with its security code.  No help.  I have uninstalled both Avast and Malwarebytes but that did not work either.  Unfortunately, because I cannot connect to the internet I cannot now get them back, but since no internet I guess I am safe from all malware................

Just looked at Sim Status > Mobile Network State >  "disconnected".  How to change that to "connected" is the question.

So there seems to be a block between my WiFi connection and access to the internet with my Moto G3. Any help getting this problem solved would be very much appreciated.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 8,157
Message 2 of 15

Re: No internet even though successfully connected to WiFi on Moto G3

Have you tested in safe mode?

To reboot into safe mode, tap the power button until you see power off on screen. Then tap and hold power off (on screen) and a new menu will appear to reboot into safe mode.

you can also try resetting network settings under backup and reset. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
duggo33
Fanfold Paper
Views: 8,154
Message 3 of 15

Thank you for the suggestions,  I did indeed reset the network settings twice during my initial seach for a solution, with no help to this strange situation where the WiFi is connected, but the mobile network state shows disconnected resulting in no internet.  I also tried your suggestion several times to reboot to safe mode but was unsuccessful.  I did not ever get a menu that allowed a reboot in safe mode. 

Do you think that my problem could have been caused by the latest update a few days ago that others have been concerned about?  

I will have access to another WiFi when I visit a friend next week. That should determine whether this problem is isolated to my WiFi or to my Moto.  

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 8,152
Message 4 of 15

@duggo33 wrote:

Thank you for the suggestions,  I did indeed reset the network settings twice during my initial seach for a solution, with no help to this strange situation where the WiFi is connected, but the mobile network state shows disconnected resulting in no internet.  I also tried your suggestion several times to reboot to safe mode but was unsuccessful.  I did not ever get a menu that allowed a reboot in safe mode. 

Do you think that my problem could have been caused by the latest update a few days ago that others have been concerned about?  

I will have access to another WiFi when I visit a friend next week. That should determine whether this problem is isolated to my WiFi or to my Moto.  

I doubt is  update related as i assume it was just a security update. If you cant bring up safe mode, then something more serious is going on. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
duggo33
Fanfold Paper
Views: 8,145
Message 5 of 15

Interesting that until a few days ago, the phone was working perfectly for the 2 months following receiving it from Amazon. I think it was on Sunday or Monday morning that after booting my cell phone I could not access the internet. 

Any suggestions as to where to go from here?

Motorola Admin Motorola Admin
Motorola Admin
Views: 8,134
Message 6 of 15

@duggo33 wrote:

Interesting that until a few days ago, the phone was working perfectly for the 2 months following receiving it from Amazon. I think it was on Sunday or Monday morning that after booting my cell phone I could not access the internet. 

Any suggestions as to where to go from here?

Can you get data through your mobile carrier network? (When you are connected to WiFi your SIM will show as disconnected.) 

Does your WiFi icon look normal or does it have an ! next to it? 

And it's not clear to me if you have "forgotten" the WiFi connection on your phone and re-added it. 

- Matt

Please do not PM me - if you have issues, search the forums for threads on your topic and post there, or start a new thread. Thanks!
duggo33
Fanfold Paper
Views: 8,131
Message 7 of 15

Hi Matt-

On my Moto 3 generation, my WiFi shows "connected", but my Sim status shows "disconected", and the WiFi icon has a ! inside of it. 

On my wifes 1st generation Moto G however, both the WiFi and the Sim status show Connected, and she is able to get both data and email.

In my attempts to solve this problem, I did indeed click on the "forget" WiFi button and re-enter all of the WiFi data, including the router PW. 

I turn my phone off at night and usually when booted in the morning, I get a bunch of emails as soon as the phone boots. Not the last few days, however, and I am stymied as to what has happened.

Highlighted
duggo33
Fanfold Paper
Views: 8,115
Message 8 of 15

Further to my last update, yesterday I had the opportunity to log into a different WiFi address instead of my own which was out of range.  Again the WiFi showed connected and this time the Mobile Network state showed connected.  However, I still was unable to connect to the internet. 

And just now I was finally successful in getting the phone to boot in safe mode by using the down button instead of the off.  The problem remains the same:  WiFi connected, Mobile Network state still disconnected, WiFi triangle icon still ha ! inside, and still unable to access the internet for email nor web sites.

So what does this mean in finding a solution?

In thinking about this problem, shouldn't one be able to connect to the internet via a smart phone via WiFi with or without a SIM ?

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 8,073
Message 9 of 15

@duggo33 wrote:

Further to my last update, yesterday I had the opportunity to log into a different WiFi address instead of my own which was out of range.  Again the WiFi showed connected and this time the Mobile Network state showed connected.  However, I still was unable to connect to the internet. 

And just now I was finally successful in getting the phone to boot in safe mode by using the down button instead of the off.  The problem remains the same:  WiFi connected, Mobile Network state still disconnected, WiFi triangle icon still ha ! inside, and still unable to access the internet for email nor web sites.

So what does this mean in finding a solution?

In thinking about this problem, shouldn't one be able to connect to the internet via a smart phone via WiFi with or without a SIM ?

Have you tried to go somewhere and connect to different wifi connections? Does your mobile network says disconnected when you're on a different place?

Regards,
Jess
Motorola Support

duggo33
Fanfold Paper
Views: 8,008
Message 10 of 15

Firstly, my sincere apologies for not getting back to the forum sooner.  I have been on the road for the past 3 weeks and about to leave again until mid-May.  In the meantime, I did succeed with booting in safe mode, but I was still not able to connect to the internet via my phone even though I have had no problem accessing WiFi in many areas while travelling. 

Before leaving on my trip I consulted with Motorola Technical Support who walked me through several different approaches with no luck at all.  The technician finally concluded that my phone would need a factory reset and has given me step-by-step instructions on how to do that.  This process will erase everything on the phone.  However since it still works as a simple cell phone even without an internet connection I will wait to carry out these steps when I return in May.

I will check in with the forum again then.

Top Kudoed Authors