Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MrPhil
Paper Tape
Views: 2,608
Message 1 of 15

Offline Bluetooth Voice Dialing is Blocked

I have been using my Motorola Roadster 2 Bluetooth car speaker to initiate hands free telephone calls while driving. I have used this Roadster with an LG phone (OFFLINE), perfectly.  I used it OK with my current Moto G3 with Lollipop 5 OFFLINE (after struggling to try to stop Google synch).  Now, with Marshmallow 6, it is preventing me from using hands free OFFLINE Bluetooth voice dialing.

At all times, incoming calls are handled perfectly by the Roadster, hands free.  I do not use cellular data. Cellular data is turned off all the time, as it always was in the past with the Moto G3.  I am not connected to the Internet.  I normally only use Wi-Fi hot spots for Internet.  Or, I am driving around with no Internet connectivity because cellular data is turned off.  I have been doing this for a long time (sorry AT&T).

When you press the call button on the car speaker, Google tries and fails to contact Google servers to determine what I have said because I am offline. Depending on the Google settings, when I press the call button on the speaker, I get different Google errors.  When I pull over to the side of the road in the car to see what happened, the phone may say "Improve voice dialing", “Google failed”, or something else.  Only after answering or pressing a response to the error message, am I able to voice dial by pressing the speaker’s call button with the OLD Google dialer software ...., "Say call, followed by a name or number".  That is all I want to do.  Push the call button, say “call John, call Susan”, etc.  Why does this work only after I answer the error messages and not the first time?  I do not want to pull over while driving to make the first attempt at hands free calling by replying to the error message or dialing from the phone myself.  I think that I am being forced to use cellular data.  I do not want to use cellular data.

Does anyone know how to defeat Google here?  Can anyone recommend an APP that will send me straight to the OLD Google voice dialer or an APP that calls without being online?  OK Google cannot be used offline.  I do not want to use OK Google, Google Plus, Google, Google and Google.  All I want to do is press the button, say call somebody, anybody, with my Motorola Roadster 2 and my Motorola Moto G3.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 2 of 15

Re: Offline Bluetooth Voice Dialing is Blocked

Dragon and Utter appear to do what you want

http://www.pubinfotech.com/2014/06/top-10-voice-assistant-for-android-like.html

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nuance.balerion

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
MrPhil
Paper Tape
Message 3 of 15

Thanks Alf, I tried them when I was on Lollipop 5, didn't work.  But I was new to Android then.  I will try them again tonight with Marshmallow because I now know a lot more about the problem.  I'll try them with my current settings.

MrPhil
Paper Tape
Message 4 of 15

Dragon support said they do not support offline voice dialing.  I cannot get utter! to work.  "Voice recognition is busy" or with Bluetooth speaker, Ambient Noise Error".  I am going to uninstall utter! and try KLets Voice Control.

Running out of ways to go.  You would think that Motorola (who makes both devices) or Google would help out here.  I mean they can simulate the difficulties themselves.  Google is continuing to stop me from OFFLINE voice dialing through the Motorola Bluetooth car speaker. 

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 5 of 15

I think 99% of smartphone users have mobile data on, so your situation is uncommon. 

Have you tried turning on Moto voice? Google does have an offline mode:  app drawer-> Google->3 bars->settings->voice-> offline speech recognition 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
MrPhil
Paper Tape
Message 6 of 15

I may be uncommon.  The issue is not.  Throughout the history of all Android versions there have been Bluetooth problems and offline dialing problems.  The posts are all still out there.  Lollipop was said to have fixed this problem and I too figured out how to make this work with Android 5.  With Android 6, Google is preventing initial offline Bluetooth voice dialing when you press the device call button.  After I clear the failure notification, it works OK for a while.  I have all the offline speech recognition settings in order, thank you.  I even switched to English (UK) because utter! recommended that for older versions of Android.  No good.  KLets has the same problem that Google gives me without outside software.  Even state of the art autos with Bluetooth are experiencing problems with Bluetooth connectivity and commands.  I see all these issues.  If I am in a Wi-Fi hotspot connected to the Internet, everything works.  Google is blocking offline Bluetooth voice dialing because it cannot contact Google servers to recognize what I am about to say when I push that button.  Thank you for listening.

MrPhil
Paper Tape
Message 7 of 15

One morning, I was late for work and saw notification that there were 3 Google updates.  Offline Bluetooth Voice Dialing WORKED the last 10 times.  laugh  I changed my strategy.  I sent the error reports to Google telling them that they were blocking this.  The last time I sent them the error report, I told them that Google craps out because it cannot connect to Google servers to determine what I had spoken and synch.  Now, every time I speak any telephone contact name, the phone gets the name right every time and puts the call through, OFFLINE.  No cellular data is turned on and I am not in a Wi-Fi hotspot.  I hope that this solves the bluetooth speaker problem forever! 

MrPhil
Paper Tape
Views: 2,607
Message 8 of 15

OMG, my rejoicing from the previous post has been shattered. All of a sudden, Google made a change to my phone and the OFFLINE Bluetooth speaker button voice dialing is BLOCKED AGAIN. I am horrified. It worked flawlessly and accurately for a little over a week. I completed maybe 30 calls hands free, eyes on the road. You push the button on the Bluetooth car speaker, “Please say call followed by a name or number.” It worked perfectly. This is basic stuff. Now, this function has been wiped off my phone again. I have never seen anything like this. Somebody previously put a fix into my phone for this and it worked great, then after a week, they blew me away again. I was afraid to touch any settings in the phone after the fix was applied. Nothing changed from my end.

Now I know why sheep migrate to Apple IOS. This is tortuous. Is anybody out there??? Now I know why Apple stuff costs so much, it actually does things that should be simple, flawlessly.

When cellular data is turned off and you are not in a Wi-Fi hotspot, Google cannot connect to their servers to verify the voice command I spoke and it craps out. Then I have to find a place to pull over and look at the phone to see how Google is stumbling and blocking my call this time. Then I have to dial from the contacts on the phone. What happened to offline voice recognition? Why is the English US voice recognition on the phone if Google is no longer capable of using it? Correction, why is Google refusing to use offline voice recognition?

Motorola phone, Motorola Bluetooth, is now useless except for incoming calls.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 2,592
Message 9 of 15

What kind of fix was put on the phone?  Did something update to overwrite it?

MrPhil
Paper Tape
Views: 2,586
Message 10 of 15

I don't know what type of fix was put on the phone.  There has been no communication except when I send error reports to Google from the phone (when I am on line) and repeatedly try to communicate this problem.  This forum is the only other thing I have been doing.  I have no idea who is doing what.  One morning when I was in a hurry, I noticed that there were 3 Google updates.  Later that day, even though the offline dialing did not work, I tried it and it all of a sudden it worked perfectly for at least a week.  Then this Monday morning, Google took over the phone again and changed the voice recognition.  It looks like OK Google to me now.  When you say "Call John", it prints out call John on the screen and then dies because Google cannot connect to the servers.  I am always off line (cellular data is off).  I have been using the phone like this since Lollipop.  I got offline Bluetooth dialing to work with Lollipop, but with Marshmallow, it only worked for that week when somebody changed something.  The phone is no longer using offline voice recognition.  When dialing works, it looks like the original Google Voice Dialer to me.  I want you to understand that I am hoping that someone from Google or Motorola can let me know what is happening.

Perhaps someone can tell me who fixed this and why it has been taken away?