Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
andrelaplume
Blue Screen Again
Views: 4,182
Message 1 of 9

Playing Music on G4

I poked around the forum and found the g4 manual but it is fo no help. I never had music on any phone before. I managed to get a single song out of the evil itunes to my PC's hard drive and from ther was able to drag it to the MUSIC LIBRARY on the moto g4 after downloading some drivers....as a MP4 I think it said.

How the heck do I play the song...an App?  Which one , where.  I do not see how to find the song on Google Play...it just wants me to pay $10 a month for somethig....???

andrelaplume
Blue Screen Again
Views: 4,180
Message 2 of 9

Re: Playing Music on G4

btw, when I goto Play Music App and Settings then  Music Library where I copied the song..its asks me to subscribe...what does this mean, do I need to do  it...at what cost?

Guru
Views: 4,155
Message 3 of 9

I believe that iTunes locks or encrypts their music & so it can only be played with an iTunes app. I'm guessing that is why you can't play that song. You can do a Google search for ways around this, if there are any, I believe there are via using your PC as part of the solution. I did it a couple of years ago so I forget the exact process, but the web or YouTube will tell you what you need to know. Search transfer iTunes music to Android or something like that.

Otherwise the G4 User Guide from the Motorola website will tell you how to use the G4 for music transfers or just use the G4 Help App (look in the Apps list) & type in Music & you will get tutorials & help regarding music on your G4. The Help App requires an internet connection.

You do not need a subscription or to pay anything IF the music is on your device AND IF the songs are unlocked, meaning not encrypted or are DRM free. So you can put music you own rights to play, such as from a CD, or downloaded or from your PC & put onto your G4. You can use the Google or Moto G4 Music app or other Music Player apps from the Google Play Store with no problems & free & no log in.

You would only need to sign in & pay per song if you wanted to download music via say Google Music app or to stream it, but if you already have it (not from iTunes though), then transfer it to your G4 how you choose & use any player app to listen to it. I use free VLC app for music & Total Commander for a file manager, but these don't have features of true music apps, such as cover art, lyrics, or special effects.

Maybe search YouTube to look for visual how to tutorials & ideas.

Does that help?

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 4,132
Message 4 of 9

@andrelaplume wrote:

btw, when I goto Play Music App and Settings then  Music Library where I copied the song..its asks me to subscribe...what does this mean, do I need to do  it...at what cost?

When i first open google play music, I am asked to try unlimited, - a big button for upgrade now, another option for other plans, and "no thanks" in the bottom corner.  I pick no thanks, and get a pop up asking to allow google play to access media and click allow. 

But the trick, i think you are missing:

Tap the 3 bar menu top left. When the menu appears scroll below the "subscribe now"  (swipe that whole menu up) and you will see an option to turn on for "downloaded only". Then tap music library and you should see your music.

I prefer 3rd party players due to the way Google has turned this into a cloud player.

If you do a google search on "Android Music players" you can find many articles that compare the different music players. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
andrelaplume
Blue Screen Again
Views: 4,118
Message 5 of 9

I will try these things.  To eliminate Apple I'll download a CD to my PC and work from there. The issue I had was Google play did not even recognize the library.....

andrelaplume
Blue Screen Again
Views: 4,103
Message 6 of 9

Ok, it appears apple lets you export the songs but they are in m4a format which is not recognized by the phone. So...I had to convert the file to mp3 format and then the phone saw it and played it.  **bleep** apple.

1) are there rec setting comendations for converting ...is 128 bit sufficient?

2) can I assume if I insert an sd card it will be obvious how to put the newly convetred mp3s there?

3) how does playing music stored on the sd card affect the battery AND I can assume no data is used correct?

4) I'll assume the 3 dot menus will guide me to making play lists and such.

Thanks again!

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 4,100
Message 7 of 9

@andrelaplume wrote:

Ok, it appears apple lets you export the songs but they are in m4a format which is not recognized by the phone. So...I had to convert the file to mp3 format and then the phone saw it and played it.  **bleep** apple.

2) can I assume if I insert an sd card it will be obvious how to put the newly convetred mp3s there?

3) how does playing music stored on the sd card affect the battery AND I can assume no data is used correct?

Thanks again!

@andrelaplume wrote:

Thanks again!

You can tell iTunes to export as MP3 instead. It will then convert all CDs as MP3. It is under preferences.  

Encoding choices are personal preference.  If it sounds good to you, that is what matters. 

I I usually just create a folder on ad card called music, and put artist folders, albums, and files in there. The music player will index the second card. 

no data is used, unless some music app is doing album lookups. Using an sd card for music storage should not affect battery

playlists are a function of whatever music app you choose.  I don't use them, so I can't add more. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
JerrySmith1021
Paper Tape
Views: 354
Message 8 of 9

Music purchased from online streaming music store encoded with M4A files are encrypted FairPlay DRM technology. If you would like to convert DRM protected m4a files to MP3, you need to remove DRM protection from these protected music files.

Here, I highly recommend AudFree Apple Music Converter for Mac to remove DRM protection while converting DRM-ed M4P files to MP3 directly with this one-stop tool.

In addition, you can use this software to convert iTunes DRM M4P to MP3, AAC, FLAC, MAV, etc without touching original files, and then you can enjoy them on your Sony laptop.

Miles_Gonzalez
Paper Tape
Views: 213
Message 9 of 9

May I ask what kind of music do you want to play on G4? If they are Apple Music, it is normal that they are combined with DRM protection. In this case, you have to remove DRM protection. I use the DRmare Audio Converter, it works perfectly as expected. Maybe you can give it a try. 

Top Kudoed Authors