Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PJ7
What's DOS?
Views: 1,230
Message 1 of 10

Poor Mobile Data Access

Got my Moto G3 on 2nd August from flipkart. But facing issue of poor mobile data access My carrier is Airtel which had been providing awesome data connectivity with my Sony xperia C. Contacted flipkart support for exchange. they said to certify from service center. now service center said to change the sim when they checked the sim in their moto g1 and found slower connection. Changed the sim but no effect, Now i have a doubt is my phone deffective or Moto has a flawed modem? or Sony has a exceptional modem?? Please help.

Dbisel
What's DOS?
Views: 1,216
Message 2 of 10

Re: Poor Mobile Data Access

I also just received my Moto g and transferred my sim to the phone and have no data connectivity. The phone connection works fine but no data. I took the phone to Metro PCS to try to resolve the issue, they replaced the sim card and went through the settings again to make sure there was no set up mistake, to no avail. Still no data. When I go to the about phone / Status / Sim status under service state it says Voice: In service / Data: In Service. Then under Cellular network state it says Disconnected. Metro PCS says it is a problem with the phone that it should be working. Any ideas?

nbell31b
What's DOS?
Message 3 of 10

It always says disconnected when WiFi is on.  FYI. Maybe a silly question but have you tried with WiFi off? Mine works great on AT&T.  No issues with LTE or HSPA+, stronger signal than my 2nd gen Moto X.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 4 of 10

@pj7:

Have you compared the APN settings in the Sony to the what shows in the Motorola?

Comment in the spirit of COMMUNITY: "Share experiences / expertise, engage in the discussions, and offer advice and suggestions."
Dbisel
What's DOS?
Message 5 of 10

Update: I found out that I needed to manually enter the APN for my carrier then deleted the older one and it is now working.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 6 of 10

Dbisel said:

Update: I found out that I needed to manually enter the APN for my carrier then deleted the older one and it is now working.

View original

Good to know, and glad to hear that you are back in business! Smiley Happy

Comment in the spirit of COMMUNITY: "Share experiences / expertise, engage in the discussions, and offer advice and suggestions."
cdw202x
Punch Card
Message 7 of 10

I am having the same issues as Dbisel.  After confirming with Metro PCS the new IMEI number and the SIM number, I can easily send/receive SMS numbers and make/receive phone calls.  However, I cannot send/receive MMS messages and cannot do anything at all with cellular data.

APN:

I tried using the default APNs, which did not work.  I then modified one of the default APNs-- again to no avail.  I then deleted every APN and entered them manually, but nothing.  I received the APN info from Metro PCS online support and also by calling the 611 number.

My info is the same as the one pictured above, except I make sure to disconnect from Wifi.  (BTW, Wifi works wonderfully well on this phone-- better than even the Moto X 1st Gen)  I have essentially just unboxed the phone; no new apps from the play store or anything else-- I plugged it into the wall to charge.

There is nothing wrong with the network; I am using/testing it under the same open sky as the moto x 1st, which I would always get 4G/4GLTE here in downtown DC.

The only odd thing I've noticed is that when I was speaking on the phone, the network indicator showed 3G, but the moment the call disconnected, it immediately went back to the triangle with the exclaimation mark.

I'll head to a Metro PCS store tomorrow to try a new micro SIM card, but don't have many expectations for that.  I would head there now, but after fiddling with this for the last four hours, I realized all the Metro PCS stores are closed now!

I have no real attachment to the number and so am considering switching to Cricket from Metro PCS.  Does anyone have any feedback this company with a Moto G 3rd gen?

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 8 of 10

cdw202x said:

I am having the same issues as Dbisel.  After confirming with Metro PCS the new IMEI number and the SIM number, I can easily send/receive SMS numbers and make/receive phone calls.  However, I cannot send/receive MMS messages and cannot do anything at all with cellular data.

APN:

I tried using the default APNs, which did not work.  I then modified one of the default APNs-- again to no avail.  I then deleted every APN and entered them manually, but nothing.  I received the APN info from Metro PCS online support and also by calling the 611 number.

My info is the same as the one pictured above, except I make sure to disconnect from Wifi.  (BTW, Wifi works wonderfully well on this phone-- better than even the Moto X 1st Gen)  I have essentially just unboxed the phone; no new apps from the play store or anything else-- I plugged it into the wall to charge.

There is nothing wrong with the network; I am using/testing it under the same open sky as the moto x 1st, which I would always get 4G/4GLTE here in downtown DC.

The only odd thing I've noticed is that when I was speaking on the phone, the network indicator showed 3G, but the moment the call disconnected, it immediately went back to the triangle with the exclaimation mark.

I'll head to a Metro PCS store tomorrow to try a new micro SIM card, but don't have many expectations for that.  I would head there now, but after fiddling with this for the last four hours, I realized all the Metro PCS stores are closed now!

I have no real attachment to the number and so am considering switching to Cricket from Metro PCS.  Does anyone have any feedback this company with a Moto G 3rd gen?

View original

Please keep us posted on if you find out anything illuminating Smiley Happy

cdw202x
Punch Card
Message 9 of 10

Okay, as promised, here is my update:

Since writing last night, I decided to minimize my frustrations and turn off the phone and put it away until I was able to get to a store.  

After I finished work, I booked it to the nearest Metro PCS store.  I asked for a new micro SIM and received one.  The agent with whom I interacted seemed really confused that I was bringing my own device-- apparently that isn't common here.

The IMEI number was in the computer from my debacle last night; all that needed updating was the SIM number.  The agent put the sim card in the phone; and attempted to get on the internet, which didn't work.  He then looked all around for the APN settings-- I ended up taking the phone and entering the info.  Before doing so, however, I made sure to reset the APN options to default and then entered a 'NEW' APN setting:

Name MetroPCS
APN fast.metropcs.com
MMSC http://metropcs.mmsmvno.com/mms/wapenc
APN Type default,mms,supl

All other fields I left either blank or whatever value was there already when starting a NEW profile.

I then saved it and selected it as the active profile.  Immediately, the SMS messages came cascading in (no voicemails-- I rarely get them anyway), but still the internet wasn't working and the networking indicator stilled showed the exclamation mark.  The agent double checked the APN settings and then turned off the phone.  We then waited about 20 seconds and then powered on the phone.  Once the phone came alive, the LTE indicator came on and and the triangle started to waiver.  The agent checked the internet connection by checking his numbers against the DC lottery and then a couple MMS messages I had requested my friends send me last night came in as well.  I paid for the SIM and then was on my way.

The phone seemed to be finding it's connection on my fifteen minute walk home.  By this, I mean the signal would lose and gain strength rapidly and by the time I arrived home, the status indicator had leveled out and was resting approximately in the same places as the moto x 1st that this phone replaced.

The last observation is that that both SMS and MMS messages seem to take longer to send and receive (I sent myself some messages), but by the time I am writing this a few, these seem to be back up to speeds I consider normal.

Aside from all that, here are a few things I have surmised from dealing with MetroPCS with unlocked moto phones.  I have used three unlocked phones- this Moto G 3rd; my last phone - Moto X 1st and a Samsung Galaxy s1.  I'd advise these bullet points for anyone changing phones--even though I can't make a scientific case from them.  These are patterns I've observed in each phone changeover.

• Do not reuse a SIM card.  Even if the SIM card will fit, do not use it again.  Do not use a SIM card adapter.  (You just spent money and time on a new phone-- spend another $10 and buy a new SIM!)

• Buy your [new] SIM card from MetroPCS store- not from Walmart/Kmart/Target/etc.  Aside from supporting the merchant who is making a living, you have a person in front of you helping you out.

• Until the phone is working properly, keep it as close as it was when it came out of the box.  Yes, I believe google now requires at at least one account on the phone for it to 'boot up', but refrain from adding your work email, facebook apps, friend finders and whatever else you enjoy on your phone.  The more things you add the more the phone is modified-- and you need the service to work before anything else-- or you just have an expensive limping brick! surprise

• Building on the point above- keep the wifi use to a minimum and turned off completely when trying to get the phone working properly.  (For example, since I am in downtown DC, had I turned on the wifi at the MPC store, the wifi signal may have picked up from any of the other buildings/offices/hotels/apartments, and then the internet may have worked, and we wouldn't have solved the problem.)

• Delete (or reset) the APN settings when starting a new SIM or service to the phone.

I know all of this has been more of a narrative than an instructional post, but I hope it can help someone else with the same frustrations I dealt with! angel

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 10 of 10

cdw202x said:

Okay, as promised, here is my update:

Since writing last night, I decided to minimize my frustrations and turn off the phone and put it away until I was able to get to a store.  

After I finished work, I booked it to the nearest Metro PCS store.  I asked for a new micro SIM and received one.  The agent with whom I interacted seemed really confused that I was bringing my own device-- apparently that isn't common here.

The IMEI number was in the computer from my debacle last night; all that needed updating was the SIM number.  The agent put the sim card in the phone; and attempted to get on the internet, which didn't work.  He then looked all around for the APN settings-- I ended up taking the phone and entering the info.  Before doing so, however, I made sure to reset the APN options to default and then entered a 'NEW' APN setting:

Name MetroPCS
APN fast.metropcs.com
MMSC http://metropcs.mmsmvno.com/mms/wapenc
APN Type default,mms,supl

All other fields I left either blank or whatever value was there already when starting a NEW profile.

I then saved it and selected it as the active profile.  Immediately, the SMS messages came cascading in (no voicemails-- I rarely get them anyway), but still the internet wasn't working and the networking indicator stilled showed the exclamation mark.  The agent double checked the APN settings and then turned off the phone.  We then waited about 20 seconds and then powered on the phone.  Once the phone came alive, the LTE indicator came on and and the triangle started to waiver.  The agent checked the internet connection by checking his numbers against the DC lottery and then a couple MMS messages I had requested my friends send me last night came in as well.  I paid for the SIM and then was on my way.

The phone seemed to be finding it's connection on my fifteen minute walk home.  By this, I mean the signal would lose and gain strength rapidly and by the time I arrived home, the status indicator had leveled out and was resting approximately in the same places as the moto x 1st that this phone replaced.

The last observation is that that both SMS and MMS messages seem to take longer to send and receive (I sent myself some messages), but by the time I am writing this a few, these seem to be back up to speeds I consider normal.

Aside from all that, here are a few things I have surmised from dealing with MetroPCS with unlocked moto phones.  I have used three unlocked phones- this Moto G 3rd; my last phone - Moto X 1st and a Samsung Galaxy s1.  I'd advise these bullet points for anyone changing phones--even though I can't make a scientific case from them.  These are patterns I've observed in each phone changeover.

• Do not reuse a SIM card.  Even if the SIM card will fit, do not use it again.  Do not use a SIM card adapter.  (You just spent money and time on a new phone-- spend another $10 and buy a new SIM!)

• Buy your [new] SIM card from MetroPCS store- not from Walmart/Kmart/Target/etc.  Aside from supporting the merchant who is making a living, you have a person in front of you helping you out.

• Until the phone is working properly, keep it as close as it was when it came out of the box.  Yes, I believe google now requires at at least one account on the phone for it to 'boot up', but refrain from adding your work email, facebook apps, friend finders and whatever else you enjoy on your phone.  The more things you add the more the phone is modified-- and you need the service to work before anything else-- or you just have an expensive limping brick! surprise

• Building on the point above- keep the wifi use to a minimum and turned off completely when trying to get the phone working properly.  (For example, since I am in downtown DC, had I turned on the wifi at the MPC store, the wifi signal may have picked up from any of the other buildings/offices/hotels/apartments, and then the internet may have worked, and we wouldn't have solved the problem.)

• Delete (or reset) the APN settings when starting a new SIM or service to the phone.

I know all of this has been more of a narrative than an instructional post, but I hope it can help someone else with the same frustrations I dealt with! angel

View original

Awesome post--thank you for the details as I am sure that these will be helpful to other MetroPCS users! Smiley Happy