Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Alloneword
Punch Card
Views: 161
Message 1 of 4

Question about SDCard and moving to another phone

I know the offical answer is NO, but is there anyway i can have an SD Card in my 3rd gen to use as a space to store and run apps as well as keeping jpg's and pdf's etc on it then if the phone dies remove it and place it in another NON Motorola phone and gain access to the pdf & jpg's or can that only be done via a computer.

All1

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 151
Message 2 of 4

Re: Question about SDCard and moving to another phone

@Alloneword wrote:

I know the offical answer is NO, but is there anyway i can have an SD Card in my 3rd gen to use as a space to store and run apps as well as keeping jpg's and pdf's etc on it then if the phone dies remove it and place it in another NON Motorola phone and gain access to the pdf & jpg's or can that only be done via a computer.

All1

If you use the card as Internal storage under Android M, then you can't move it to another phone. Brand of phone doesn't matter. The card is encrypted with a protected key, stored on the phone. You can't move the card to a computer either. It is only readable by the phone that has the key. If you reset the phone, the key is lost, and the card becomes unreadable. This is Android M, not Motorola, so even moving the card to a Motorola phone will not work. 

The best solution - don't use the card for internal storage. Format the card as portable, use it for Music, Movies, Pics. Keep apps on phone. If you don't have enough room  for apps on phone, then get rid of some apps, or make sure all your data on SD card is backed up somewhere else (but you should do this anyway). 

Google has provided no way to backup or access the encryption key used to encrypt/decrypt the SD card. 

Even if you found a way to get to the key (hacking things we can't mention) you would still need to be able to decrypt the entire SD card to get to the data. The card is formatted as EXT3/4 and windows can't read that, so you would need a machine running linux or a mac. And you would kneed to be familiar with encryption tools to decrypt the sd card. You wouldn't be able to install the key on another phone unless you hacked that phone, and some phones are not that hackable -

So counting on getting to the key and using it is not a good strategy today. Also, if you can get the key, so can others. So your data is now exposed. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Alloneword
Punch Card
Views: 135
Message 3 of 4

Thanks for the very detailed & informative reply AlphaDog, that being the case i will reformat the card and use it as internal space and bluetooth over some of the important pdf as well as uploading them to the cloud somewhere, once again many tahnsk

All1

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 133
Message 4 of 4

@Alloneword wrote:

Thanks for the very detailed & informative reply AlphaDog, that being the case i will reformat the card and use it as internal space and bluetooth over some of the important pdf as well as uploading them to the cloud somewhere, once again many tahnsk

All1

If you don't need the space for apps, i strongly recommend using the card as external. the failure rate of cards being used for internal (fully encrypted) is much higher then using them for standard external means. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum