09-19-2016

US

7 Signins

148 Page Views

• Views: 148
  • Message 111 of 155

Re: SD Card Missing Please Reinsert

2017-03-10, 18:04 PM

This is a known problem.  Apparently there is no solution.  I returned my phone and they sent me a new one.  A lot of people seem to think it's related to the Marshmallow OS.  So far, I have resisted upgrading the phone they sent back from Lolipop 5.1.1 and the problem has yet to re-occur.  Not saying that's the real problem, but it MIGHT be.  

Options

1 Posts

03-23-2017

CA

1 Signins

21 Page Views

• Views: 21
  • Message 112 of 155

2017-03-23, 16:59 PM

I had the same problem. After spending a couple of hours reading all the possible fixes, here is what worked for me. My Moto g3 is 15 months old now and I was losing the sd card almost daily. My temporary fix was to power down and power up. This would bring the card back for a while. There are dozens of other fixes on the forum from cleaning the card to installing a faster card. But, what really worked for me was to reset my phone to factory install. This is a drastic move and I was hesitant at first.  I made sure I had a solid backup of all important files to me. I also wrote down all apps I had installed as those would have to be re-installed.

So, I perform the reset. It takes about 30 to 40 minutes. And, it takes another hour to install your missing apps.

It has been two weeks now and the phone still works great with the sd card always being present.

Options

79 Posts

02-17-2016

IT

102 Signins

665 Page Views

• Views: 665
  • Message 113 of 155

2017-03-24, 7:52 AM
Factory reset didn't work for me. What is more frustrating is that, in my specific case, after factory reset and a new, faster card, the issue of 'unseen card' accompanied by disappearing of all card-installed apps and of all files stored in the card occurred again. Sooner or later it occurs, even after a few months.
This is why I got rid of my G3 at last.
Options

746 Posts

02-06-2012

United States

3 Signins

102 Page Views

• Views: 102
  • Message 114 of 155

2017-03-28, 12:52 PM

Ran in to this on my Moto X Pure Edition.  Have had the phone since Nov 2015, with the SD card formatted as internal for maybe the last 6ish months.

My phone has been driving me nuts for about a month now (forgetting Bluetooth pairings, apps disappearing, not able to download MMS, front facing camera not working) and I'm thinking a lot of the issues have been caused by lack of storage space, so just moved a bunch of apps over to the SD card, rebooted, and when it came back online got the reinsert SD card warning.  Have tried multiple reboots, pulling it out, reinserting, etc.

Except for one brief stint with Blackberry, I've had Motorola phones consistently for 12 years.  With Android I've gone from the original Droid, RAZR, X, and X Pure.  I was a huge power user with the first couple phones, rooting, constantly changing ROMs, had the OG Droid severely overclocked and never really had any issues.  I even was a part of a couple soak tests when this used to be the Motorola forum.  But this phone has me pulling my hair out at the one year mark and I'm throwing in the towel.  I really think Lenovo has ruined what was once a great, reliable company.

Options

2 Posts

11-16-2016

IN

8 Signins

59 Page Views

• Views: 59
  • Message 115 of 155

2017-04-29, 1:27 AM

Facing same issue with my Moto G3. Got this device around late 2015. Was using my 32 GB microsd card as exrernal memory. Running smooth over a year. Around Nov-2016, I bought 64 GB sandisk card (SanDisk Ultra MicroSDXC 64GB UHS-I Class 10 Memory Card (Upto 48 MB/s Speed))
Formatted device and used this 64gb card as internal memory device. Running smooth for another 4 months till one fine day when I get this exact same issue: 

"SD card missing. Please reinsert "

Another peculiar thing I noticed in case of my device is that I get this error only when I am plugging my Moto G3 for recharging to wall charger. 

@Motorola technical support team, do you have any idea why is this happening? Any solutions?

Thanks!

Options

1 Posts

04-29-2017

GB

5 Signins

24 Page Views

• Views: 24
  • Message 116 of 155

2017-04-29, 10:25 AM

No solution from me, but just a comment as my Sandidsk SDHC UHS-1 80MB/s  card fitted in Dec 16, following the same failure after 3 months of the first SD card in the phone, has just started playing silly Bs, much as the first one did.  Time for another card?!?  (Both cards used as internal storage as phone is 8MB.  Lesson learnt there!)

Increadibly annoying 'fault' :(

Options

79 Posts

02-17-2016

IT

102 Signins

665 Page Views

• Message 117 of 155

2017-04-29, 13:02 PM

I got rid of my G3. There was no way to fix the 'missing card' issue.

Now I own a G4 that didn't give any trobule so fare (about two months).

The most incredible thing is that Lenovo didn't do a product substitution for G3 units, and that they keep on selling it!

Options

1 Posts

05-02-2017

CA

2 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 118 of 155

2017-05-02, 5:28 AM

When you format your SD Card to INTERNAL, then the data on the card is encrypted via a high level code, which is not recognized by your computer, if you decide to insert the card into the SD Adaptor. Cards formated in this mannor are ONLY recognized by THIS phone (your phone), and are NOT exchangable between other Motorola or Android phones.

INTERNAL ADDS to your internal phone's memory. 16GB + 128GB = 144GB Total Internal Storage

Format your SD Card as EXTERNAL and then you can flip/flop from phone to computer over and over, etc...

EXTERNAL keeps your card and internal memory SEPORATE from each other. 16GB + 128GB = 16GB + 128GB.

Hope this makes it more clear for all.

Options

79 Posts

02-17-2016

IT

102 Signins

665 Page Views

• Message 119 of 155

2017-05-02, 7:50 AM

I don't know who are you replying to.

The trouble isn't SD card management according to the different formatting options.

The trouble is that (1) the Moto G3 at some point does not recognize the SD card, irrespective of the type of formatting adopted, (2) the card content is in many case erased during the 'Missing card' issue.

Also, at least in my case, the card - formatted either as internal or external memory - is not 'seen' by the File Manager app, just like it does not exist.

Options

1 Posts

05-07-2017

GB

4 Signins

22 Page Views

• Views: 22
  • Message 120 of 155

2017-05-07, 17:43 PM

We've got 5 of these Moto G3s because i thought they were so good (after having G2 myself)  - I bought 1 for myself, 1 for my girlfriend 1 for my mum, 1 for my sister and 1 for the mother in law (for birthdays etc :-) ).  These phones seemed like the ideal phone on a budget and an ideal present..

The phones are pretty good most of the time but this SD card issue is a RIGHT pain in the backside.

I've lost my data on my SD card, my girlfirend's is intermitently working and i've just had to reformat my mum's SD card - luckily enough mum hasn;t got anything but apps on hers.  Not sure if any issues with mother in law and sister's phones.

HOWEVER, after formatting my mum's SD as internal it seems stable now.  It was ALREADY formatted as internal beforehand but since the latest update, things started to go wrong (same with all the phones).

I'm hoping that this is the simple solution i.e. BEFORE ever doing an update, back up the whole SD card then re-format card once update done.  I am going to try getting data off my phone again later today (and re-formatting) so we'll see what happens with that.  If that works, then i'll have to do them all :-(.

This just tarnishes the view that i had of this range of phones and i was just about to order 2 of the new G5s (3gb RAM / 16Gb Mem) BUT this issue makes me think otherwise - i will hold off my purchase for a little while to see if i can solve this current G3 issue.  I'm hoping it's an android software issue and i can blame android and not motorola.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete