Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Greg70
Paper Tape
Views: 56,500
Message 1 of 144

SD Card Missing Please Reinsert

I installed a 32 GB SD card in my Moto G3, and formatted it for internal memory. It works fine for the most part, but every once in awhile I get a message that says "SD card missing. Please reinsert the card." The card isn't missing. It's still there. If I turn the phone off and back on, the message goes away and I can access the data on the SD card again. Is there a fix for this problem?

er0shima
Fanfold Paper
Views: 55,454
Message 2 of 144

Re: SD Card Missing Please Reinsert

The sd card connector might be dirty or miss aligned. Turn off your phone, remove the sd card, give it a nice clean with a clean soft cloth, don't use your fingers or rub it with them. Put the card back and make sure it fits tight on its port.

Greg70
Paper Tape
Views: 55,444
Message 3 of 144

Thanks for the advice. I'll try that.

Greg70
Paper Tape
Views: 55,281
Message 4 of 144

Tried that. No luck.
quakeaz
802.11n
Views: 55,260
Message 5 of 144

I had the same problem with a 32 GB Samsung SD formatted as internal. I tried reinserting and reformatting, etc. Nothing helped, it'd do ok for hours to days then the same error. I went back to my SanDisk 16 GB and everything is fine. Strange issue..

Griss
What's DOS?
Views: 54,709
Message 6 of 144

Same issue.  SD card was installed day I got phone, worked for few months.  Then the mysterious failure to recognize.  when replaced, it will initially "see" the sd card, note the approximate amount of used space as before, list the icons of the apps, and then, if I try to open one of those apps, use a file explorer, or hit most anything in setup having to do with storage, whatever it is will start, and stall and then back to no SD card.

Only option is "forget." No national security state secrets but some photos and documents that somehow did NOT get backed up to google drive even though I have backup on in the only place I can find to select it.

I had the sd card set up as "internal" and true to form, it does not seem readable when placed in an adapter and inserted into a pc.

Any help or referral would be appreciated.  

jamcan
What's DOS?
Views: 54,701
Message 7 of 144

No fix. But, I feel your pain, Greg.

My G3 had a new card inserted when bought, worked fine for 4 months, and has just started doing the same.

A reboot allows the system to see the card again, but it just randomly disappears on occasion.

It has never happened while using an app or watching a video installed on the card, only when I try to do so.

My attempts to connect to a Windows 7 PC via MTP usually fails with a "Windows cannot initialize the device driver for this hardware. (Code 37)", which also requires deleting the driver then reinstalling before I can see the device contents.
(try -  http://www.ghacks.net/2014/05/26/fix-windows-initialize-device-driver-hardware-code-37/  -if this rings a bell)

But now half the time the problem is that the card is AWOL.

A quick Google search shows that both these issues are not uncommon amongst users of the G series (and some Xers).
It would be nice if Motorola/Lenovo got off their backsides and sorted this issue, or this may well be the last one of their devices that ever makes it into my possesion. It is starting to get a bit irksome.

Sergio_Sz
Punch Card
Views: 54,674
Message 8 of 144

Hi guys.

I have my Moto G 3rd. gen since a couple of months. I have a class 10 SD card of 16 Gb inserted, where I have music, photos and some appls (the ones Android list as SD store capable), and I never had this kind of issue. Important note, I never upgraded to Android 6, I stays on 5.1.1, because all these stories of issues mainly with SD cards. 

What class cards do you use? I wonder if that has something to do with this... I read that only a very fast one can be used as internal memory. 

Regards.

Gilsworth
Fanfold Paper
Views: 54,610
Message 9 of 144

I  am having the same issues! This is not good. I too have a MotoG 3rd Generation. Not happy!

Kennic
Paper Tape
Views: 54,172
Message 10 of 144

Having the same problem. Upgraded to marshmallow a few months ago and everything was fine. Now it thinks my SD card is missing. I can pull it out and reinsert to get back but a few hours later it will be gone again.  Using a 32gb Sandisk class 10 card in Moto 3g formatted as internal.

*edit: found another thread on this (https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/MOTO-G-3rd-Gen/SD-card-auto-unmount-marshmellow-moto-g3/td-p/3346153).  Tried the delete photo solution and it is working so far.

Top Kudoed Authors