Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
fuzzman
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,617
Message 51 of 144

Re: SD Card Missing Please Reinsert

Another victim here. Word to others- back up your data as soon as you can- the SD card problem gets worse over time, and quickly.

At first, maybe a bout 2 months ago, I saw SD card missing once per week. Power cycle brought it back. But then, over the course of the last month, however, the frequency increased. I was on holiday taking lots of pics, loading up podcasts, generally loading up the card. Every day, then every few hours I had to power cycle the phone. 

Now in the past 2 days, the card will only stay mounted for maybe one minute after a power cycle. Worse, it appears to have "lost" files from the past 4 months. That includes my holiday photos, so I am sad about that.

At this point it appears too late to backup the files. Even if I could somehow access the files, the card won't mount long enough to backup to cloud, or over USB.

I cannot even see the internal storage over USB anymore.

I've tried all of the fixes on this forum, and several others, including:

• Power off, remove SD card. Bootup, shutdown. Reinsert SD card, bootup.
  • Clear app data and cache for External Storage, and Media, reboot, and wait 10 minutes. This may have actually been the worst step- that's when it lost my more recent files. I suspect they are still on the card, but the card dismounts before the indexing and caching completes, or the files moved to the /lost directory or somesuch. Again, no way to recover when the card dismounts so quickly.
  • Chatting with Motorola support just confirmed the problem on my phone, and was advised to do a factory reset.

Obviously, Lenovo/Motorola/Android has a significant problem with this feature. Look at the number of views on this thread!

So in hindsight, if you have this problem, backup your data, asap. 

TwirlyGirly
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,611
Message 52 of 144

The new SD card I bought two weeks ago (to replace the one the phone stopped recognizing) just failed. Suddenly the screen went black, then the very beginning of the Motorola start-up sequence flashed across the screen (just the portion in which the can rolls across the bottom of the screen). That immediately went to the home screen, and I noticed a bunch of app icons were gone (apps that had been on the SD card) AND when I looked in settings, no SD card was being detected.

Powering off, removing the SD card, turning on, powering off, reinserting the SD card, and powering back on - had no effect. The phone killed yet another SD card.

I'm totally fed up. Honestly, I do understand things can and do go wrong with technology. I get that. But that there are SO MANY REPORTS of issues with SD cards + Moto G3 + Marshmallow and yet NOBODY at Lenovo/Motorola is addressing these problems, even if all they can say at this point is "We're sorry. There's obviously an issue here and we're trying to figure out what the source of the problem is, but haven't yet been able to isolate it" - THAT would be something. Instead, I feel like they're all sitting around drinking coffee and laughing at those of us having to deal with a serious problem with what would otherwise be a pretty decent phone.

Quick question: Because I want to make sure I've tried *everything* before insisting Motorola replace the phone (although it's unlikely a new phone won't do the same thing), I decided to order a Kingston card and try that (both previous cards were SanDisk). Must I do a factory reset before installing the Kingston card? RIght now, when I look in settings under "Storage," it says "SanDisk SD card Not Inserted" (even though it is). Because the phone won't recognize the card as being installed, I can't "unmount" it - I can only power off and remove it (which results in it saying the same thing when I look at "Storage"). Must I erase the phone's "memory" of the SanDisk card by doing a factory reset before installing the new Kingston card? Or, can I just power off the phone, and pop it in? The last thing I want to do is screw up the new card right off the bat! Or, is there another alternative that won't require a factory reset?

Hunky
Punch Card
Views: 2,517
Message 53 of 144

I would my name also as another user facing the same issue..

I have Moto G3 16GB (IN) version with a San-disk Class 10 16GB Card..

Facing this same issue, the Card is getting automatically ejected and I have reboot so many times a day to find the card !!

No clue now as what do to, as first, before reading this thread, I thought, some how my firmware is messed up and I came here looking to download Stock and latest Firmware+Rom and flash the device to fix this issue..

But I guess I am pretty much stuck.. Wont be able to claim warranty as date is over, pretty sad..
Lets do more with less
bobsk8
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,498
Message 54 of 144

Try another brand of SD card. 

carlopipitone
Serial Port
Views: 2,259
Message 55 of 144

Same complaint here.

My Moto G3 is having the same or similar issue with a 16GB class 10 Sandisk card installed as external storage with pictures, mp3's and a few apps installed on it.

It started with a 'missing card' warning that was (temporarily) fixed with phone rebooting. I've lost a few photos during the repeated reboots. Now, after quite a few of such reboots the SD card 'disappears' sometimes: I haven't had any more 'missing card' warnings but I can tell by the fact that the apps installed on the card disappear from the main display , yet they are still in the phone and don't get uninstalled - so I have just to move them again on the main display.

Very, very annoying, especially if this repeated issue would lead to damaged sectors or even to a fully unusable card finally.

It is clearly a Moto G3 issue. And what really upsets me is that this must be the reason why this model was heavily discounted on Amazon when I bought it.

Why the f*** doesn't Motorola try to fix the problem, maybe making reapir patches available for download?

bobsk8
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,247
Message 56 of 144

Ditch the Sandisk 16GB card. That will solve the problem. 

schroda
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,240
Message 57 of 144

I've been going back and forth between SanDisk and Samsung SD cards. I'm pretty sure I've narrowed the issue down to Facebook when it's on the SD card internal and has an update it will mess up the card. I'm guessing other apps will do the same when they're installed on the card and get an update

Llares
Paper Tape
Views: 2,232
Message 58 of 144

Nope, it is the same issue with external cards and no Apps Installer on it.

schroda
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,226
Message 59 of 144

Well with that said time to start looking at other phone options. Anybody have a recommendation for a phone under $200 with similar specs to the Moto G 3rd gen?

TwirlyGirly
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,212
Message 60 of 144

I'm interested in the answer to that as well. I *love* the camera on the Moto G3, and thus far haven't found a phone in the same price range with a similar camera....

Top Kudoed Authors