Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
km9172
Paper Tape
Views: 2,068
Message 61 of 144

Re: SD Card Missing Please Reinsert

After 3 SanDisk Class 10 32GB SD cards going "bad", I ordered a Kingston Class 4 32GB card.  I've been using it for 4 weeks so far, with no issues.  Normally I'd have seen something by now, but I'm still going to hold off on calling my problem "solved".  I've done about 3x as many writes to the card as I had previously, trying to make it fail.

I, personally, think it's an incompatibility between the phone, the OS, and the brand (or perhaps even model?) of card.

bobsk8
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,057
Message 62 of 144

I am amazed that people reading all the issues with Sandisk cards, keep on using them and complain about the phonne.. DUH!!!

schroda
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,055
Message 63 of 144

I love just about everything about the phone other than the crippling SD card issue. After SanDisk I trade Samsung SD and having same issues. One option would be the 16 gig memory 3rd gen but I can't find a CDMA version

schroda
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,045
Message 64 of 144

Bob, what exact SD card are you using?

fuzzman
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,029
Message 65 of 144

If there are certain SD card brand or models that do not fail in this application, they have not  yet been positively identified or qualified to last longer than SanDisk. There are many forum posts -here and on other relevant forums - that describe the same failure on all brands, including Samsung and Kingston. The threads have a common sense of hope and eventual despair when the "different" brand of card eventually fails also.

That said, there may be a really narrow range of SD cards that are adequately robust to withstand the abuse they get inside a Marshmallowed G3. Or there may be a certain card architecture that sidesteps whatever pressures the handset places on it.

Maybe it's time for a poll - which exact brand and model of SD card failed in your Moto G?

The irony is that the people using the successful cards would have little cause to seek out forum advice, so we would not hear much from them.

Purchasers and would-be solution finders should be aware that re-branding of down-spec SD cards is common. Cards that don't pass tests are sold to another party for rebranding. You may purchase a card thinking it's brand X from its labelling, but find it's brand Y once you plug it in. To avoid this, purchase the retail, name-brand (more expensive) cards, and be wary of discounted ones ( but that still is no guarantee of WYSIWYG).

Personally I just gave up on the SD card feature, gave my Moto G to a friend, and went back to iPhone so I can store my music on it, and get regular, timely OS updates.

bobsk8
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,989
Message 66 of 144

Lexar 300x  16 GB

schroda
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,986
Message 67 of 144

Is your Lexar card formatted as internal memory or portable?

bobsk8
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,976
Message 68 of 144

Internal Memory

schroda
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,970
Message 69 of 144

One last shot. Just got this card today. Sandisk Extreme Plus $25 for 32 gig. Fastest I could find at Walmart and one of the fastest on the market.

95MB/sec. transfer speed

I Installed the card (as internal memory) and did NOT get card too slow error. So far so good but will take a few weeks to see if any other errors appear.

eprice01
Paper Tape
Views: 1,707
Message 70 of 144

For me the failure was a SanDisk 32GB Class 10 card.

I tried a Kingston 8GB Class 4 card for three weeks with no issues but the speed is noticable.  I am now waiting delivery of a Kingston 16GB Class 10 card and I will report back with my findings.

I have until this time never had any issues with any of SanDisk's products.  I use their SSD's in my home computers and their USB sticks and SD cards in many other locations.

Top Kudoed Authors