Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
shaans
Paper Tape
Views: 3,284
Message 71 of 144

Re: SD Card Missing Please Reinsert

Hi All, after my experiences of ending up with 2 useless cards (Sandisk - Ultra Class 10 UHS-1 U1 32 GB and Samsung - Class 10 UHS 1 U3 32 GB) (https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/MOTO-G-3rd-Gen/SD-Card-Missing-Please-Reinsert/m-p/3384858#M6694) and then deciding to stay on using the SD card as external only (https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/MOTO-G-3rd-Gen/SD-Card-Missing-Please-Reinsert/m-p/3385223#M6703) here's an update on my experience so far.

I've now been using a Sandisk 32 GB UHS-1 U1 card again, and haven't had any major issues in the last 6 weeks. I did face a slight issue where the phone suddenly stopped displaying my SD card and its contents, but I suspect that had something to do with the card getting slighly dislodged from the slot over the course of time (since the card didn't seem to be completely in, when I opened the back cover to pull it out). To be safe, I shut down the phone, pulled the card out, copied all files to my PC (did see a 3-4 corrupted files, a few audio ones and a photo), ran a full chkdsk, reformatted the card, pasted the files back to the card and plugged it in to the phone. Everything is working fine at the moment. I'll post if there is any change.

What's really frustrating is how Lenovo is just not concerned, first with the issues of so many customers, in relation to the SD cards (especially when you start to look at posts over in XDA, reddit and many other in these forums) and now with the lack of a Nougat update for the osprey and merlin devices, while other phones (Moto G4 Play and Moto X Play) with the same SOCs and GPUs as osprey and merlin will get Nougat!

I'm done with Moto/Lenovo, never buying Moto/Lenovo again or recommending to anyone.

Eric_w_
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,264
Message 72 of 144

I have a similar issue. One day I was skyping my friends while playing a game(both apps were on the sd card) and charging and I guess I pushed the sd card too hard or the phone got too hot becuase it just shut off and when I could turn it back on it stopped recognizing the sd card and I haven't had any luck with any other cards too. I am on marshmallow 6.
Young_Zaphod
What's DOS?
Views: 2,610
Message 73 of 144

Sounds like several consumers (myself included) have had equipment destroyed as a direct result of the latest system update.  A class action lawsuit might get the attention of the vendor.

carlopipitone
Serial Port
Views: 3,099
Message 74 of 144

Strange things happen...

When I had a hi-speed Sandisk card (installed as external memory) I started having the 'Reinsert your card' issue. This happened 4-5 times. Then it became an issue of a different nature: at times SOME of the apps installed on the card disappeared from the main screens, yet they were still on the phone. I just had to add them again to the screen.

Now I have installed a Lexar 300x card as internal memory, and after one week of use the same 'disappear from screen' issue occurred. I have to add the 'ghost' apps back to the screen. This happens with SOME of the apps installed on the card, the same as with the previous Sandisk card.

At this point I wonder if the issue is REALLY linked to the card or RATHER to the Moto 3G phone... :-(

kainila
Paper Tape
Views: 2,966
Message 75 of 144

Isn't San Disk good enough?
schroda
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,962
Message 76 of 144

What is high speed for a micro SD card? I tried multiple SD cards that were rated high speed but the phone said they were too slow. Finally I bought the fastest speed I could find SanDisk Extreme Pro 95mb/s Read/90 write.

After 3 weeks with this card installed as internal memory I have had absolutely no issues still a week or two to go to be sure but so far so good way better than before

ATcaveman
What's DOS?
Views: 2,813
Message 77 of 144

Well, I guess I'm joining the club.

This morning, I went downstairs, started some music on my phone (which was not stored on the SD card, Google Play over WiFi) let out the pup, and then went upstairs to get ready for my day.

When I came downstairs, the music had stopped, and the message had appeared.

"SanDisk SD card missing

Reinsert this device" 

Notes of the situation:

• Moto X Pure Edition, purchased new, unlocked, about a year ago (SKU XT1575)
  • Phone was sitting, in a hard plastic case, and was not dropped or disturbed in anyway at the time.
  • Phone was charging
  • SD Card was being used as Internal Memory
  • Android version 6.0
  • SD Card is SanDisk HC 8GB
  • This is the first time I've seen this message
  • The SD card has data that I absolutely DO NOT want to lose
  • No system update has been performed in the recent past
  • Phone has never had a bad drop, and does not have any major damage to the casing or screen

Things I've tried:

• Restarting the phone
  • Turning the phone off, removing the SD card, reinserting the SD card, and restarting the phone
  • Turning the phone off, removing the SD card, wiping it with a cloth, blasting it and the slot with canned air, reinserting the SD card, and restarting the phone
  • Turning the phone off, removing the SD card, and restarting the phone, turning the phone back off, reinserting the SD card, and restarting the phone
  • With the phone on, removing the SD card, then reinserting
  • Turning the phone off, booting the phone into safe mode, then restarting the phone
  • Uninstalling a couple random apps that I don't use anyway, and then restarting the phone

I'm at a complete loss as to what to do next. This is pretty terrible.

Guru
Views: 2,808
Message 78 of 144

I'm wondering if the problem is related to the app & service being used maybe having a bug or even a slight loss of connection or data stream? Have or can you try using just a simple, simple, music player without all the bells & whistles of streaming & album covers & lyric downloads etc..  If the streaming service cuts out, couldn't that also cause the app to perhaps crash or lose it's way? It seems to me that some of these apps require always being connected or streaming even the slightest bit of data & if that data stream is lost, then wouldn't things possibly crash or lose the SD card say? Try an app that does zero streaming or needs no connection to WiFi or Data? I know that this isn't the point, of the device or app being capable, but one needs to find out which of the things is failing?

Look for some tiny apps tha will play podcasts or music? I use my file manager app, Total Commander to play music & it also has some graphic equalizer controls, though for audiophiles, it's probably too basic & doesn't do streaming. My point being, try to figure out whether it is a hardware bug, system software bug or an individual app bug or the streaming service bug or data connection loss. I don't use Google Play Music app or service or streaming, so I haven't experienced these problems.

carlopipitone
Serial Port
Views: 2,553
Message 79 of 144

Since I started to use a Lexar 300x microSD I've had only one 'missing icons from display' issue. No more 'please reinsert card' nor loss of files.

km9172
Paper Tape
Views: 2,539
Message 80 of 144

Since I've started using a Kingston Class 4 32GB card (it's been 2 months) instead of my prior 3 SanDisk UHS Class 10 32GB cards, I have had no issues.

I was using the card as external storage for my MP3 collection.  I have done extensive writes on this card trying to create the issue, and it hasn't popped up.

Top Kudoed Authors