Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Fanfold Paper
Message 1 of 207 (20,097 Views)

Touch detection problems (phantom touch / ghost touch)

[ Edited ]

I was wondering, does your G3 have a problem like shown in the video?

It is quite annoying because I am getting false taps all the time. It is to a point where the phone is almost unusable. You constantly have to be careful how to you use the phone, otherwise you risk tapping on something you did not want.

Moto G3 Touch Problem - YouTube

Moto Sr Moderator
Message 2 of 207 (19,913 Views)

Re: Touch detection problems (phantom touch / ghost touch)

Does it do this in safe mode? After a reset? 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 3 of 207 (19,911 Views)

I watched the video, and I have to say I am not convinced their is a problem.  The G is different from the Lumia in every way, so I am sure the programming is different.  

The he screens are capacitive touch and being very close can cause stray taps, so breaking and regaining contact could register as a touch each time if your finger is close enough when you break contact 

I have not seen many people use their phone with such a light touch. Why not just touch harder? 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Fanfold Paper
Message 4 of 207 (19,898 Views)

I definitely think it's a problem. It's not like I deliberately went looking for problems. It just got too annoying not to notice. It's not about light touch, it's when you use the phone at normal speed, sometimes your thumb's nail touches the screen when you scroll, that on G3 registers as a touch. I've tried my friend's phones, G4 and S6, none of them exibit this problem.

It's doing it after reset, after cleaning, nothing helps.

Before purchasing it, I watched TIm Schofield's Moto G3 Reivew

He mentioned a touch problem with the phone in his review. I think I should've trusted his opinion.

Punch Card
Message 5 of 207 (19,846 Views)

I've mentioned it a few times over the months and it's getting worse.
Both with mine and my wife's, unwanted phone calls are made from the favorites screen by merely trying to scroll up or down. We tried different fingers-washing our hands, etc., but it gets more annoying with time.
This has never happened on any other brand phone and I have had many.
Yes, I've tried all the suggested "fixes" to no avail.
The biggest mistake I ever made with a phone was to update to 6 on these MotoG3s. I bought them on the basis of their functioning with 5.1.1 and have offered to pay someone to downgrade them back to normalcy. The warranty is not an issue because if they don't begin behaving better very soon, I'm going to toss them anyway. Very annoying to make unwanted calls and receive calls back from those dialed in error. And this happens on apps and even while scrolling the app list.

Strange not to be able to directly contact the factory, speak to a tech and after trying what they might suggest, expecting them to send an advance replacement, while temp billing my card, and getting a phone that may work better. Just fired up one of my Huawei phones with 4.4 and how sweet it is.
I suppose that times have changed and I'm way out of touch.
Fanfold Paper
Message 6 of 207 (19,812 Views)

I had the same issue after upgrading my Moto G3 to MM. Moto support could not help so I unlocked the bootloader and downgraded to Lollipop. The touch problem resolved. Desperate measures but at least my phone is usable now but I won't be buying another Moto phone.
Punch Card
Message 7 of 207 (19,789 Views)

jayjay756..

Since downgrading, have you missed any of the bells and whistles that MM provided?
I was totally happy with 5.1.1. I wish I could pay someone to downgrade both my Moto g3 phones.
Maybe I'll fire up my previous phones and then see if I can do the downgrade myself on the g3.
Punch Card
Message 8 of 207 (19,786 Views)

Excellent video showing the very same problem that I as well as who knows how many others are having with the touch sensitivity.

Instead of Moto and now Lenovo offering excuses and pseudo work arounds that don't work(try this, try that, have you tried), one would think that Moto would get involved and try to please the customers who bought their product and  who keep them in business.

They seem to spend more time offering excuses and suggesting that we don't know how to work our phones and that whatever is happening is normal.

I'm much older than most anyone in this group and it is difficult for me to understand the lack of service, other than  this forum, to satisfy the customer.

Fanfold Paper
Message 9 of 207 (19,771 Views)

I don't miss anything about MM other than Now on Tap but that's no reason to live with these phantom touches.
Fanfold Paper
Message 10 of 207 (19,751 Views)

Hello everyone.
My G 3rd has had this problem on 5.1.1 right out of the box.
The problem went away after one day without reappearing (except maybe once or twice but i don't remember that)

After 6.0 update i did a factory reset (cause thats how u do a proper update),
and i had this problem... But after a month or so the problem again has disapeared.

Supposedly lowering the "touch speed" in language and input might help this problem,
But i dont think it had much effect on mine.

Im glad the problem resolved itself, just like it did on 5.1.1 albeit a bit slower.
I've no idea what could cause this.
Top Kudoed Authors