Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AndrewZ
Paper Tape
Views: 91,377
Message 1 of 33

Unable to transfer apps to SD card since upgrading to Android 6

Since I upgraded my Moto G 3rd gen to Android 6 a couple of weeks ago the option to transfer apps to my SD card no longer appears on each app's page in settings. Just not there at all, not present and greyed out.  There is plenty of room on the SD card. Would be very grateful to know how to fix this or whether it's just not possible, thanks in anticipation!

(PS Just had a very unhelpful chat with a support person who clearly didn't have a clue about the problem!)

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 91,028
Message 2 of 33

Re: Unable to transfer apps to SD card since upgrading to Android 6

If your SD card is formatted as external, moving apps to the SD card is not supported.

Apps can be moved to the SD card if it's formatted as adopted internal storage, but then the card can't be used or even read in any other device, including your computer.

AndrewZ
Paper Tape
Views: 90,996
Message 3 of 33

Many thanks for your reply.

I've been using a 64GB SD card with my Moto G with no problems, although I know 32GB is supposed to be the max. Will I be able to adopt the 64GB card as internal storage. Also, once it's adopted, can I store my MP3 files on the card? I assume so, unless the 64GB is a problem, if it just behaves like internal memory.

Seems like a very backward move by Google, presumably there was a good reason for it but I'm beginng to regret upgrading. My camera hasn't worked as well since the upgrade (problems focussing).

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 90,992
Message 4 of 33

You can store your music library on the SD card whether it's formatted as internal or external.

I honestly don't know how Android will view your card.  Just be sure you start with a blank card because the formatting will erase it.

About the camera...have you tried taking pictures in safe mode to see if it behaves the same way?  Have you tried clearing cache on the camera app?

AndrewZ
Paper Tape
Views: 90,987
Message 5 of 33

Thanks again for the quick response. I'll try it and see what happens and will post here to let you know.

Thanks for the info re the camera - no I hadn't tried either of those suggestions, I will do so later on. Andrew
ummy
What's DOS?
Views: 90,865
Message 6 of 33

I have this problem too - just got the phone 2 weeks ago, bought an SD card and able to put photos and music on but it won't allow apps.  

So can you confirm that I have to format it and use as internal storage to store apps ?   If I then store photos on there, does that mean that those photos are no longer accessible via my pc (I usually connect my pc to the phone to copy photos over).  Or is it just that I can't take the SD card out and use it elsewhere ?  Just a bit confused

Thanks (p.s. also spoke to customer support and he had no idea what my issue was in not seeing the option to move the apps and he gave up on me !)

Bubai2013
802.11n
Views: 90,831
Message 7 of 33

These will be the scenario for a SD Card 

As Internal Storage-

1) The Card will be encrypted,

2) All newly installed app will be installed in SD card

3) You willn't be able to access your files like image, videos from any device as it will be encrypted. Though you can send those files through shareit, or access them through many third party softwares like xender, wifi droid etc.

4) Once formatted as internal storage, you have to reformat to use it as portable/external storage.

5) If you remove you SD card your all apps and app data will be lost. You can't use it anywhere until you reformat it as portable storage.

As External Storage-

1) You no more can move apps to SD card.

2) You can access everything on SD card.

With Love,
Bubai
linuxmel
Paper Tape
Views: 90,794
Message 8 of 33

How do you format the SD card?
Bubai2013
802.11n
Views: 90,788
Message 9 of 33

You have to format it from phone.

1) Go to Settings

2) Storage & USB

3) Click On SD Card Name

4) After Opening there will be stock file explorer

5) Click On The Top Right three dots

6) Format as portable

With Love,
Bubai
linuxmel
Paper Tape
Views: 90,730
Message 10 of 33

And this will allow apps to be installed here?