Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DanysL
What's DOS?
Views: 1,858
Message 21 of 47

Re: Water Resistance - film under speaker grille

The grill is in fact sensitive, I would say extremely or too delicate.  I almost seems as it was only put in place for esthetic reasons.  Anyway hope Motorola clarifies on this matter.

I bought mine on the Motorola website, but it would be too much hassle to return it since I don't live in the USA.

I will have to wait one day when it drops in water, I'll have to report then.

customer065
What's DOS?
Message 22 of 47

I wish there was a steel mesh adhesive that i can put over tempered glass protector to cover speakers. I never even inserted anything or get dust in the speaker openings. Thanks a lot, cheaporola!!!

thatsnotme
What's DOS?
Message 23 of 47

I was just looking at mine, that I got yesterday. It has what looks like small creases in the seal, is this normal or should I be worried?

joehb10
What's DOS?
Message 24 of 47

I'm quite concerned about this. It happened to me. The film is extremely thin and easily ruptured. I would like Motorola to clarify whether this means the phone is no longer waterproof. Otherwise I'm going to take it back and seek a full refund as this is not acceptable. The phone should not be so easily damaged. I hereby ask Motorola to comment
Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 25 of 47

joehb10 said:

I'm quite concerned about this. It happened to me. The film is extremely thin and easily ruptured. I would like Motorola to clarify whether this means the phone is no longer waterproof. Otherwise I'm going to take it back and seek a full refund as this is not acceptable. The phone should not be so easily damaged. I hereby ask Motorola to commentView original

Please look further up the page at the post by Matt, Forums Manager.  In another thread in this forum, Matt posted additional information:

"After a follow up with the development team, I learned that Moto G achieves IPX7 water resistance through use of seals, gaskets, and adhesives. "

joehb10
What's DOS?
Message 26 of 47

This does not directly answer my question. Sorry, but I would like a clear answer as to whether or not the breaking of the seql impact on the intended performance of the phone.

This is a disappointing issue. This is my third Motorola phone. Inevitably during normal use objects with occasionally go into the speaker opening I feel like a better design should have been considered; one which includes a hard mesh over the delicate membrane which would protect it from unintentional damage.
joehb10
What's DOS?
Message 27 of 47

Anyone? Matt? Grateful if you could clarify??

I really dont want to have to return it, hassle... but im wondering if i really should.

Dhruvpandit
What's DOS?
Message 28 of 47

Same for me.
I also tore it accidently.

Now want to confirm if my phone still has water resistance or not.
DanysL
What's DOS?
Message 29 of 47

Update.

I had my Moto G exposed to water a few times after the grill was punctured with a line across the grill almost entirely. One time it did not stay long underwater, maybe 15 seconds in my short's pocket as I fell from a stand up paddle board. I rinsed it in fresh water later to clean it up from sand and salt water. It still works, but then I noticed the speaker and mic not working properly. The speaker would work sometimes with ringtones but not media playback could be heard. Headphones worked ok.

I fixed that by going into the ringtone selection and making it play for a few minutes, then it kinda made a small pop sound and the ringtone was much louder, everything worked after that.

On another ocassion, I just rinsed the phone from dirt, and noticed water did in fact penetrate into the LCD screen, causing something of a bleeding effect on the screen, also small bubbles formed inside the front camera lens.  This cleared on its own after a day, I tried to keep the phone close to heat (indirect sunlight) so it would dry.

Hope this information helps.

customer065
What's DOS?
Message 30 of 47

G3 is crap. Im glad i exchanged mine. Won't ever water test or breathe on 

it. Getting a waterproof bag for the water season. Thanks for info.