Did you mean: 
Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 1,583
Message 31 of 47

Re: Water Resistance - film under speaker grille

DanysL said:

Update.

I had my Moto G exposed to water a few times after the grill was punctured with a line across the grill almost entirely. One time it did not stay long underwater, maybe 15 seconds in my short's pocket as I fell from a stand up paddle board. I rinsed it in fresh water later to clean it up from sand and salt water. It still works, but then I noticed the speaker and mic not working properly. The speaker would work sometimes with ringtones but not media playback could be heard. Headphones worked ok.

I fixed that by going into the ringtone selection and making it play for a few minutes, then it kinda made a small pop sound and the ringtone was much louder, everything worked after that.

On another ocassion, I just rinsed the phone from dirt, and noticed water did in fact penetrate into the LCD screen, causing something of a bleeding effect on the screen, also small bubbles formed inside the front camera lens.  This cleared on its own after a day, I tried to keep the phone close to heat (indirect sunlight) so it would dry.

Hope this information helps.

View original

It's important, I think, to understand what the waterproof certifications mean.  This phone can be submersed up to 1 meter for 30 minutes without suffering damage.  Below 1 meter, the water pressure increases, and the phone is not certified to withstand that.  Also the phone is certified for submersion, but not for the introduction of fluid under pressure, as you would experience by holding the phone under a running faucet.

IP water ingress levels 1 through 6K are about the entry of water under pressure.  Level 7 (this phone) is about submersion, not water under pressure, and the International Electrotechnical Commission (who publishes the IP codes) is clear that the levels are not cumulative.  In other words, a device that is IPX7 certified is just that: it is not certified at levels 1 through 6K.  Here are the levels and the definitions of each level from Wikipedia.  

As consumers, especially if we intend to use the device under punishing conditions, we have to fully understand what our devices can and cannot do.  By obtaining the IP certification, Motorola has provided the information we need to do that.

DanysL
What's DOS?
Message 32 of 47

That was a perfect explanation.  However it was not the answer to the question at hand.

People are concerned about the effect of a damaged grill cover, which has been proven to be of very bad quality.

In my experience a punctured top grill on the Moto G 3, would appear to in fact affect the water resistance of the phone.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 33 of 47

DanysL said:

That was a perfect explanation.  However it was not the answer to the question at hand.

People are concerned about the effect of a damaged grill cover, which has been proven to be of very bad quality.

In my experience a punctured top grill on the Moto G 3, would appear to in fact affect the water resistance of the phone.

View original

Well, it was an answer to why the phone shouldn't be rinsed under running water.

On the previous page, the Matt, the Forum Manager, says that the grill should not impact water resistance.  Also on the previous page, I quote Matt in a different thread saying, "After a follow up with the development team, I learned that Moto G achieves IPX7 water resistance through use of seals, gaskets, and adhesives. "  And he also talks about being careful with the speaker grill.

I don't think you're going to get a better answer than that.

DanysL
What's DOS?
Message 34 of 47

joehb10 said:

This does not directly answer my question. Sorry, but I would like a clear answer as to whether or not the breaking of the seql impact on the intended performance of the phone. This is a disappointing issue. This is my third Motorola phone. Inevitably during normal use objects with occasionally go into the speaker opening I feel like a better design should have been considered; one which includes a hard mesh over the delicate membrane which would protect it from unintentional damage.View original

Crystallet, 

Not trying to be rude, or start a heated discussion, but I read the thread  and if you did too, you should have notice the concern of other phone owners.  Like the post I'm quoting.

No offense to him but Matt is as you said, a Forum Manager and not part of the development Team. He even had a misconception about how the water resistance on the phone was achieved as he first stated the phone had an invisible coating (then corrected the information).  

But people wanted an official statement or direct answer from Motorola in regards to the function of the grill mesh in regards to the water resistance.

Answers like the ones below (from Matt and Joelbon) do not really convince people, as those are just their assumptions.

Matt said "It should not materially impact water resistance, but submit it for repair anyway."

Joelbon also stated "I don't think it would put the phone in danger of water damage. Everything is sealed. The cover isn't going to be a part of the water resistance. Hope this helps."

If the thin mesh is in fact part of the seals/gaskets/adhesives combo, then so be it. But this still has not really been answered yet with a direct statement.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 35 of 47

DanysL said:

joehb10 said:

This does not directly answer my question. Sorry, but I would like a clear answer as to whether or not the breaking of the seql impact on the intended performance of the phone. This is a disappointing issue. This is my third Motorola phone. Inevitably during normal use objects with occasionally go into the speaker opening I feel like a better design should have been considered; one which includes a hard mesh over the delicate membrane which would protect it from unintentional damage.View original

Crystallet, 

Not trying to be rude, or start a heated discussion, but I read the thread  and if you did too, you should have notice the concern of other phone owners.  Like the post I'm quoting.

No offense to him but Matt is as you said, a Forum Manager and not part of the development Team. He even had a misconception about how the water resistance on the phone was achieved as he first stated the phone had an invisible coating (then corrected the information).  

But people wanted an official statement or direct answer from Motorola in regards to the function of the grill mesh in regards to the water resistance.

Answers like the ones below (from Matt and Joelbon) do not really convince people, as those are just their assumptions.

Matt said "It should not materially impact water resistance, but submit it for repair anyway."

Joelbon also stated "I don't think it would put the phone in danger of water damage. Everything is sealed. The cover isn't going to be a part of the water resistance. Hope this helps."

If the thin mesh is in fact part of the seals/gaskets/adhesives combo, then so be it. But this still has not really been answered yet with a direct statement.

View original

Thin mesh is not a seal, gasket or adhesive.  If you're concerned, send your phone in for repair.  It's what Matt said in his post.

Matt is not just the Forum Manager.  He does not post supposition.  When he needs a technical answer he does not know himself, he gets the information straight from the people who have it.  You will note, of course, that the comment about the seals, gaskets, and adhesive, came from the device's development team.

DanysL
What's DOS?
Message 36 of 47

I don't want to send my phone for repair because I do not live in the USA, I bought two of them and really like them.  I don't want to ditch Motorola.

But still no answer.  You keep beating the bush around.  I don't know if you work directly for Motorola, but if you do, this would be the time to get the "information straight from the people who have it".

Does the rupture of the film under the top grill affect or not the water resistance?

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 37 of 47

I don't work for Motorola.  I'm a volunteer forum moderator.  Matt works for Motorola.  He went directly to the people who have the answer.  He posted that answer.  His posts were clear: get it repaired anyway, even though the grill is not a seal, gasket, or adhesive.  That's really the only answer there is.  No one is beating around the bush here.  

The issue as I see it is that Matt said to get it repaired anyway, and you would have trouble doing that, because you're in Panama and your repair location is the United States.  

Motorola strongly recommends against buying a phone outside the country of use just to avoid the issue you're facing.  You can send the phone to the U.S. for repair, and, if you have friends or family here, you can have repair ship the phone to them, and they can ship it to you in Panama.

customer065
What's DOS?
Message 38 of 47

No matter who says what i would not pour water, spray, submerge g3, broken 

speaker seal or not. I treat it as a regular phone and motorola as false
advertiser. A dollar waterproof bag from ebay should protect it.
DanysL
What's DOS?
Message 39 of 47

Good thing you don't work for them.  You'd probably be terminated.

I don't want my phone repaired. I want the question answered. It is a closed ended question, which you have failed to answer time and time again.  If you don't know the answer just don't reply.

Does the rupture of the film under the top grill affect or not the water resistance? YES OR NO.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 40 of 47

DanysL said:

Good thing you don't work for them.  You'd probably be terminated.

I don't want my phone repaired. I want the question answered. It is a closed ended question, which you have failed to answer time and time again.  If you don't know the answer just don't reply.

Does the rupture of the film under the top grill affect or not the water resistance? YES OR NO.

View original

Telling others not to reply is not acceptable. I am sorry you don't like the answers you are getting, but you can't dictate the rules.  Be polite and follow the forum rules.  

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum