Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
joehb10
What's DOS?
Views: 1,672
Message 41 of 47

Re: Water Resistance - film under speaker grille

Irealised that my love affair with moto g had ended after i decided to upgrade to the moto g3. I lernt a veryvimportant lesson. 1. A faster phone is not always better. 2.i dont care about waterproofing.
3. The moto g 2nd gen 4g is the best moto g ever made. Its fast enough, more ergonomic than the g3, and in my opinion more stylish. The screen on the moto g2 is Much better. The camera is just fine too.

In the end i sent the moto g3 back. A phone with such a flimsy earpiece grill os no phone for me. Newer does not equal better.
Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 42 of 47

customer065 said:

No matter who says what i would not pour water, spray, submerge g3, broken
speaker seal or not. I treat it as a regular phone and motorola as false
advertiser. A dollar waterproof bag from ebay should protect it.

View original

Save your dollar--I have availed myself to the miracle of a [new and freezer quality] Ziploc baggie on many occasions (water park visits in the summer come to mind as well as traveling in uncertain weather conditions...) for all of my phones and I have never been let down  smiley

Comment in the spirit of COMMUNITY: "Share experiences / expertise, engage in the discussions, and offer advice and suggestions."
Joel131
What's DOS?
Message 43 of 47

I happened to puncture my earpiece film today while cleaning with a tissue paper. Seems like tissue papers are stronger than whatever material the film is made of. Nevertheless, my concern is if it will affect my phones normal operation (ear-speaker, proximity sensor) in any way due to dust seeping in. I'm not particularly bothered about it being waterproof or not as I never intend to use it being waterproof as an utility feature. Would appreciate relevant feedback.

DanysL
What's DOS?
Message 44 of 47

Did not affect normal operation on mine.
sgr2
Serial Port
Views: 1,444
Message 45 of 47

@Joel131 wrote:

I happened to puncture my earpiece film today while cleaning with a tissue paper. Seems like tissue papers are stronger than whatever material the film is made of. Nevertheless, my concern is if it will affect my phones normal operation (ear-speaker, proximity sensor) in any way due to dust seeping in. I'm not particularly bothered about it being waterproof or not as I never intend to use it being waterproof as an utility feature. Would appreciate relevant feedback.

The same happened to me today. Ruptured it accidentally with a tissue paper. Any more updates from anyone using the phone with a ruptured film? Is there a need to get it repaired if one doesn't want the waterproof feature?

Tatsuto
What's DOS?
Views: 691
Message 46 of 47

After going through most posts about this topic and examining an affected phone myself it is clear that the mesh is part of the water resistance. Directly under the top speaker is a piece of circuit board. If it gets wet you'll do damage. It may work still for a while until but usually not long. Besides this the torn mesh, depending on severity, can cause buzzing sounds if the volume is turned up to about more than 30℅. Additionally for the piece at the bottom there is a mesh holding it back from tearing it in. However after close inspection it turned out that while this protection prevents tearing in the middle of the mesh the edges of it still easily break. Even by simply breathing into it too much. So this makes you wonder... How could this possibly be water-resistant if it breaks at the slightest touch?

spkapil123
Paper Tape
Views: 631
Message 47 of 47

how is the speaker protected from water(Moto G turbo edition),,,is it an adhesive that stops the water from entering??,,,,because i can see a white film on the front speaker,,,but its not present on the bottom speaker.

Could u please explain how is the speaker protected from water,,,so that we can check while buying...

I also have another doubt,,,,does the back cover protect the sim and sd card slots only ,, or it is needed to protect camera also from water??????