Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Retro54
Paper Tape
Views: 2,332
Message 1 of 8

Why does ringer volume fade in? MotoG3

Can anyone help with the following?. Since upgrading to 6.0, I've noticed that my ringer fades in rather than starting at the set volume level. My ringtone is approx. 24secs and I actually hear it about 6secs into the call and it would then get up to full volume at approx. 12secs. I've never had this problem with any phone before since the ringer would always start at the set volume level.

While I would eventually hear the phone ring, the real problem is when I miss a call. The missed call alert I use is only 2secs long, so I don't hear it at all because of the fade in effect.

Interestingly, even though the ringer and notification sound streams are now merged in android, I do not get the same problem with notifications, only with phone calls.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 2 of 8

Re: Why does ringer volume fade in? MotoG3

The ringer volume should fade in - 1 second low at the beginning then normal volume. All Moto phones have been this way for quite some time. Why yours is low for 6 seconds I don't know. 

Notification sounds should not do this. You say they don't, but you said missed call alert does, so I am not not clear.

Notification and Ringtone were merged in android back in ICS I think - maybe earlier. 

You may want to try a reset, and not install or restore any apps - just test the ringtones and then work on restoring apps. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Retro54
Paper Tape
Message 3 of 8

Just migrated from ICS where the sound streams were separate, no fade in and life was simpler so I was unaware of this change.

Needless to say, I don't like it. Is there any way to disable this feature?

I did mention not hearing the missed call alerts. This had to do with the missed call app itself which I've sorted out but I would really love to get rid of the fade in. My ringtones are homemade and very precise so the fade in ruins them.

Thanks.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 4 of 8

I would love separate levels for ringtone and notification, but it is not part of stock android and Motorola has not added it. No work around that I know of. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
skay_baltimore
SCSI Port
Views: 1,637
Message 5 of 8

@Retro54 wrote:

Can anyone help with the following?. Since upgrading to 6.0, I've noticed that my ringer fades in rather than starting at the set volume level. My ringtone is approx. 24secs and I actually hear it about 6secs into the call and it would then get up to full volume at approx. 12secs. I've never had this problem with any phone before since the ringer would always start at the set volume level.

While I would eventually hear the phone ring, the real problem is when I miss a call. The missed call alert I use is only 2secs long, so I don't hear it at all because of the fade in effect.

Interestingly, even though the ringer and notification sound streams are now merged in android, I do not get the same problem with notifications, only with phone calls.

I just got a Moto E4 (coming from Moto X with Lollipop 5.1) and noticed the annoying fade in immediately. It serves no purpose whatsoever other than to be annoying. It's not a feature, it's a bug.  If it's an Android bug, then maybe there's nothing Moto can do about it. But who knows. What I do know is that I don't like it at all. I extended my ringing to 30 seconds years ago with my carrier, and have stuck with it. (I believe 30 seconds is the maximum allowed.) And so when I make customized ringtones I make them 30 seconds long, so that helps. But still...it's annoying.

Retro54
Paper Tape
Views: 1,622
Message 6 of 8

Since there appeared to be no solution to my original query, I got rid of the annoyance by adding approx. 1 second of silence at the beginning of each ringtone. While it now takes an additional second to hear the phone ring, that's not a long time and the fade in feature or bug no longer affects the actual ringtone.

I've saved the 1 second of silence so I can add it to any ringtone I make in the future. It works so well I'd actually forgotten that this annoyance existed.

skay_baltimore
SCSI Port
Views: 1,620
Message 7 of 8

@Retro54 wrote:

Since there appeared to be no solution to my original query, I got rid of the annoyance by adding approx. 1 second of silence at the beginning of each ringtone. While it now takes an additional second to hear the phone ring, that's not a long time and the fade in feature or bug no longer affects the actual ringtone.

I've saved the 1 second of silence so I can add it to any ringtone I make in the future. It works so well I'd actually forgotten that this annoyance existed.

I found I had to add close to 3 seconds (2.95, to be exact) in order to have the phone start out playing the ringtone at full volume. I hear/feel the vibration, then 3 seconds later I hear the ringtone. I did try the "best" app to fix it -- "Disable Increasining Ring" -- but it didn't work. I contacted the deveopler and he had no real answer for me. So that's when I decided to take matters into my own hands and just add silence to the beginning of my custom ringtones. (I have a different ringtone for eveyrone in my favorites contact list.) Fortunately, I always save the wav file before converting it to an mp3. It was a drag, but for now, it was a viable workaround.

Taildragger
Paper Tape
Views: 263
Message 8 of 8

I believe the fade-in feature well be intentional but not thoughtfully implemented. With the relocation of the ringer speaker to the earpiece position, I've certain I've suffered permanent hearing loss from having the phone at me ear when an (unknowingly) disconnected call rings back in. Excruciating eardrumb piercing pain.  By fading the ringer in, it gives you a second to move the phone from your ear.  The more elegant solution would be to implement the fade-in only when the phone detects the proximity of the phone to the users ear (presumably using the camera), but consider yourself fortunate that you won't  risk permanent hearing loss with the ring fade-in 

Top Kudoed Authors