Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
rec71
Fanfold Paper
Views: 225
Message 1 of 6

WiFi speed drops when Runkeeper is open

I have come across the most bizarre issue with my new Moto G 3rd Gen (16GB) and I wanted to find out if I am alone.

Put simply: if I start the popular Runkeeper app, my WiFi speed drops to a crawl, sometimes forcing the phone to disconnect! But only if Bluetooth is enabled (even with no BT device connected)

Sounds odd right? I have used Runkeeper for years now, and the same version works flawlessly on a Nexus 5 and a Moto G 1st gen running 5,0.1.

But on my brand new 3rd Gen, just opening Runkeeper with Bluetooth toggled on will exhibit a massive WiFi speed drop. Every time: It is 100% repeatable. If I use the Android Recent Tasks button to swipe the app away, then boom! WiFi speeds are instantly back to normal (I am testing using the popular SpeedTest app.) I've tried this on three different WiFi networks.

If I toggle Bluetooth off/on then the WiFI speed goes back to normal. But if I restart Runkeeper, then I am back to square one and the problem reoccurs. This is without being connected to a Bluetooth device BTW (although I always leave Bluetooth on as I use it frequently.)

So Bluetooth seems to be significant. As does the Runkeeper app: but other apps that use GPS or Bluetooth do not cause this issue. For example, I can connect to a Bluetooth speaker, fire up Google Play Music, Amazon Music, etc, and happily use Bluetooth with no drop in WiFi speed at all.

Has anyone else seen anything weird like this? It looks like a driver/software issue to me: I'm sure the hardware in my new phone is fine (WiFi and Bluetooth co-exist OK, and it's only one app that is showing up this problem), but it's a little annoying nonetheless.

Thoughts welcome!

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 2 of 6

Re: WiFi speed drops when Runkeeper is open

N5 is also on the same OS version as the G3?

Comment in the spirit of COMMUNITY: "Share experiences / expertise, engage in the discussions, and offer advice and suggestions."
rec71
Fanfold Paper
Message 3 of 6

Yep, the N5 is on 5.1.1 and works fine.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 4 of 6

rec71 said:

Yep, the N5 is on 5.1.1 and works fine.

View original

OK. So N5 and G3 are both on 5.1.1, but Runkeeper only causes this issue on the G3.

Hmmm, let me try to find someone with a G3 who might be able to test....

Comment in the spirit of COMMUNITY: "Share experiences / expertise, engage in the discussions, and offer advice and suggestions."
Administrator
Administrator
Message 5 of 6

Thanks for reporting this -- we've passed it on to the team for investigation.

Please do not PM me - if you have issues, search the forums for threads on your topic and post there, or start a new thread. Thanks!
rec71
Fanfold Paper
Message 6 of 6

Hi, any update on this?