Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
chemtech
What's DOS?
Views: 13,156
Message 1 of 10

how to recover deleted text messages

I tried to delete a specific text message and somehow deleted the entire group of text messages from a particular sender. Is there a way to recover them? I downloaded a program that would recover files from phone and put them on computer. However, it did not recover the particular text messages from this person, it seemed to back up everything else. Any suggestions?

Guru
Views: 13,131
Message 2 of 10

Re: how to recover deleted text messages

Are you talking about the default Messaging App? or a 3rd party app such as WhatsApp, etc.?

If for the Default Messaging App: Do you have this set to ON: Settings>Backup & reset>Backup my data>On . Also, do you have On: Settings>Backup & reset>Automatic restore>On.

The messages are supposedly backed up in App Data if you had that enabled / On. Then if you Removed the Messaging App & later restored it, the Automatic Restore feature, also if enabled, would restore the backed up messages. No backed up data setting, likely means, no backed up messages.

You may want to do a Google Search for more info, as these are Android OS features, and not really anything to do with

Motorola. Or if you are using a 3rd party messaging app, then check with them or in the app settings.

Failing that, your messaging service provider likely has backups, but I have no idea if they are able to restore them for you. Maybe ask, but also first check your phone account online & see if there is a messaging user component, as some providers do have online messaging controls. Same as being able to see all the phone numbers you called & duration, etc., but maybe your provider also displays the messages?

As well, check your settings for your Google Account Settings to see if you have enabled Auto Backups & Syncs.

chemtech
What's DOS?
Views: 13,109
Message 3 of 10

It is the standard text messaging that is on the Moto g phone. I had the "back up my data" turned on and I also has the "automatic restore" on. But, I don't know where to find the deleted text messages in the phone. If it were like emails, I would just go to the trash folder and tell it to move it to the inbox. Is there such a thing on this phone for text messages?

Thanks for the help!!

Guru
Views: 13,101
Message 4 of 10

No there is no trash text folder in the default text app or on the device.

I may have a solution though?

You could first try a 3rd party app such as MyPhoneExplorer (which I use) from the Google Play Store, as it allows you to Archive Deleted Text Messages to your PC.

There are other apps. But I use this app to import text messages into the same app (though the PC Desktop version) MyPhoneExplorer Home Page . It's free though Donation Ware & it works great overall. There is nothing to set up on the G3 side once installed, as all the settings are in the Desktop Program. So make sure that you have a good look at File>Settings & all the options & the other menu items to familiarize yourself with the program. It's not difficult but set up is a bit quirky for non-geek types. I also set Sync to MyPhoneExplorer only, but you can explore the options for what works with you. You can also choose to sync things Auto (I don't) or manually & I don't sync the Calendar at all as I found in a past version it produced duplicates & errors, so I don't use it now. But the Text Message & File Transfer functions work GREAT.

I backup my text messages & other files this way over the WiFi connection, or you could use a USB cable. It also has a function to DOWNLOAD ALL messages & to Archive Deleted messages, but becareful as it ask do you want to archive or delete the messages you deleted from your device, so choose Archive!!!! or it will for sure remove any trace of past deleted messages. You could also write the app developers to see if they can help further as they seem to know the Android platform. Let me know if this works for you? I just tried it on my G3 & it brought back lots of deleted messages from weeks & months ago, as I hadn't used that feature before. You would then check the Messaging>Archive Link on the Desktop App to view your deleted but now Archived ON THE PC text messages. It won't restore the message to your G3 but keeps it in the Archived area in the Desktop App. But you could select it & Forward it back to your own phone number or another number from the MyPhoneExplorer Desktop.

Failing all that. You could try to Force Stop the messaging app, then disable it. Then reboot your device & then Enable the app again & see if it does read the backup to bring back your messages. I've never tried that & you may lose everything, so be warned.

I looked & searched at all the system folders that I could but many remain out of touch by Android & so I could not find or at least open possible SMS files. The phone might have to be rooted to gain full file access.  You could try to look on some Android forums, such as XDA Developers, before you do anything other than trying MyPHoneExplorer to save what you have. Those guys write apps & so know the Android platform & if they can't help you find where the SMS messages are stored & how, then only Android/Google itself (not likely) or your phone company could. Or? any chance that the person  you were texting can resend / forward to you that missing text message?

juniorwu1124
What's DOS?
Views: 12,932
Message 5 of 10

Hi, after your text messages are lost, please stop using your phone at once to increase the chance of recovery.

Because any newly added data may overwrite the lost ones.

Then please check this post: How to Recover Deleted Text Messages from Android

Follow the steps to recover your text messages.

Hope it helps.

tikara
Paper Tape
Views: 12,914
Message 6 of 10

If there is no backup, I think the first thing you need to do is not using the phone in case of data ovewritten by new data. Then find a phone data recovery program to get them back. Usually, it works well. 

shshxiaojing
Paper Tape
Views: 12,640
Message 7 of 10

On Android phone, you text messages and sms are stored inside the memory. If you did not backup the lost sms with computer or Google account, then in order to recover Android deleted text messages you can try FoneCope Android SMS Recovery.

RothmanJ
Blue Screen Again
Views: 12,532
Message 8 of 10

Which Android data recovery program did you try? I tried this last month for my deleted photos, and of course all my wanted files were regained completely. And it also has a mode to retrieve deleted messages from Android phone devices, so might as well try it because it will not cost a cent of you if it couldn't find out the exact messages you need. 

Jcaklly
Paper Tape
Views: 11,563
Message 9 of 10

Phone messages usually stored in SIM card . If you lost messages from your mobile phone. You can try Android Data Recovery to get messages back . 

EmilyBaker
Punch Card
Views: 8,452
Message 10 of 10

Restoring your lost Android messages to computer would be a safer way since you can backup them to PC at the same time. But to achieve this goal, you need to find a professional yet reliable Android SMS Recovery software as your assistant - Doctor for Android (Win/Mac).

Except for desktop program, there are also lots of mobile applications available for you to extract the lost messages. By using a mobile application, you are capable of restoring the messages on the Android phone directly.

In fact, to keep your Android text messages safe, you'd better develop a good habit of backing up all your messages. You can complete it simply with the software Assistant for Android. It can greatly reduce the possibility of losing messages in your daily life. And the action of backing up seems to be much easier than restoring.

Top Kudoed Authors