Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
gingercat
Paper Tape
Views: 78
Message 1 of 2

motoG3, SDCard as adopted memory, can't get in SDCard

I have just reset my moto g3 to factory setting and adopted a 32GB SDCard as internal memory, followed by Move Data to card.

The problem I get is, to put it short: the system can access the SDCard and install apps in it, but I can't get in it from File Manager.

More detailed info is per below:

although when installed apps, those apps that support installaion-in-external-storage do get installed in SDCard (and from Settings->apps->storage I can see it clearly shows "Internal" storage and ScanDisc SDCard storage), BUT, I can't browse into the SDCard, hence I can put my files (music, text files etc etc) in the SDCard, those large files only end up in internal storage. Apps don't see SDCard, either, they only see "internal storage" which is quit tiny.

I am attaching a screenshot here which shows a File Manager app saying it can't see SDCard.

I also use Total Commander as file manager, from which I browsed into:

/mnt/storage

/sdcard

/storage

All three paths seem to be linked to the same path, i.e. the files and folders in them are the same.

I suspect the system somehow failed to create a link to the SDCard..

I have large collection of music and pictures that I'd like to keep in the phone instead of cloud for obvious reasons: instant access and no data usage cost.

Porphyrius
802.11n
Views: 75
Message 2 of 2

Re: motoG3, SDCard as adopted memory, can't get in SDCard

The SD card Internal Memory system from Android is flawed.I've seen your problem before and also you will not be able to transfer files using a USB cable.This is not Motorola/Lenovo's fault.You can still use WiFi/Bluetooth to backup.

I think this option has now been disabled on some later Android phones.

There are several things that anyone thinking of doing this should to know.

1:If you,"Soft Eject" the SD using the phone's Storage and Data section it will DESTROY all the Data on the SD card!

2:If you,"Remove" the SD card whilst the phone is on it will DESTROY all the data on the card!

The SD card can be removed when the phone is off and the data will be intact but as the SD card has been encrypted uniquely to the phone it came out of the card CANNOT be read by another device.This means the SD card is pretty much useless unless used with Data-Recovery software and then reformatted.

You may have to take the card out and reformat it on a Computer or another device.

My advice is to use the SD card as external and try and keep control of how much you install to Internal memory.I wish it were different Smiley Sad

Top Kudoed Authors