Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sparsh
Paper Tape
Views: 14,070
Message 1 of 5

Contacts not showing in Contacts App, but visible in Phone App

I'm using Moto-G 1st Gen. I can't see my contacts list anymore. All of them were present earlier, and then suddenly when I looked next time, they were lost. But, I can still see them in phone app, when I search for number or name from the Dialer. When I click on the contact in Dialer, it shows a message 'The contact doesn't exist'.

I hadn't synced my contacts on Google, so can't retrieve them from there. I've also tried exporting contacts, but it doesn't show any contact there either. 

Can someone help me figure out if the contacts are really lost? And if they are, how is Dialer still recognising the numbers or names and showing the contact?

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 14,046
Message 2 of 5

Re: Contacts not showing in Contacts App, but visible in Phone App

@Sparsh wrote:

I'm using Moto-G 1st Gen. I can't see my contacts list anymore. All of them were present earlier, and then suddenly when I looked next time, they were lost. But, I can still see them in phone app, when I search for number or name from the Dialer. When I click on the contact in Dialer, it shows a message 'The contact doesn't exist'.

I hadn't synced my contacts on Google, so can't retrieve them from there. I've also tried exporting contacts, but it doesn't show any contact there either. 

Can someone help me figure out if the contacts are really lost? And if they are, how is Dialer still recognising the numbers or names and showing the contact?

Hi Sparsh,

Have you checked Contacts to display option if it is selected as All?

Go to Contacts app.

Tap 3 dot option

Tap Contacts to Display.

Tap All to show all of your contacts.

See if that works.

Regards,
Jess
Motorola Support

Sparsh
Paper Tape
Views: 14,036
Message 3 of 5

Hi Jess,

Thanks for replying. 

Yes, I've already checked this and it is set to all. I also tried to customize it and noticed that there's no option for Device/SIM in there. Although, I checked in another Moto-G device and found that it is not present in any of the Moto-G devices, so that couldn't be the issue either. 

The other things I've tried are -

1. Uninstall Truecaller app, just in case the contacts were returned from there while searching. But, they still showed on search.
  2. Restart my phone several times.
  3. Exporting storage to .vcf file. But, it didn't contain any contact.
  4. Used Data Recovery tool (Wondershare Dr.Fone for Android), but didn't find any contact there either.

But, even after all this, the contacts are still being shown in Phone App, but not in Contacts App.

It will also be helpful if someone can let me know where is the file stored from which Dialer recognizes the numbers. I'm guessing there should be a file, as cache should've been cleared after restarting my device.

Regards,

Sparsh

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 14,019
Message 4 of 5

@Sparsh wrote:

Hi Jess,

Thanks for replying. 

Yes, I've already checked this and it is set to all. I also tried to customize it and noticed that there's no option for Device/SIM in there. Although, I checked in another Moto-G device and found that it is not present in any of the Moto-G devices, so that couldn't be the issue either. 

The other things I've tried are -

1. Uninstall Truecaller app, just in case the contacts were returned from there while searching. But, they still showed on search.
  2. Restart my phone several times.
  3. Exporting storage to .vcf file. But, it didn't contain any contact.
  4. Used Data Recovery tool (Wondershare Dr.Fone for Android), but didn't find any contact there either.

But, even after all this, the contacts are still being shown in Phone App, but not in Contacts App.

It will also be helpful if someone can let me know where is the file stored from which Dialer recognizes the numbers. I'm guessing there should be a file, as cache should've been cleared after restarting my device.

Regards,

Sparsh

Contacts are stored in an internal contacts data base. It is the same database that populates the phone contacts. 

I assume your contacts are coming from google contacts? It sounds like something is interfering with the contacts app.

You can try removing the google account and adding it back. Or maybe even a reset is required as apps like true caller do some weird things on phones. 

If you can't determine the problem. I would do a device reset and not install or restore any apps. Set up your google account, verify your contacts are visible in contacts, then add apps back until your contacts disappear. Then you found the problem app. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Tadek02
What's DOS?
Views: 2,514
Message 5 of 5

I have the same problem. When someone is calling (in a car) I can see number but not the name. Also my contact list (in a car) displays numbers but not the names