Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted
What's DOS?
Message 1 of 9 (155 Views)

KitKat 4.4.3 update breaking camera functionality

Hi. I upgraded to KitKat 4.4.3 tonight (phone = Moto G) and found that the brightness/contrast of photos taken with the self-facing camera do not match what is visually shown on-screen.

More specifically the brightness and contrast of the actual photo is too dark. No HDR etc. features can be adjusted with the self-facing camera (which is identical to 4.4.2).

The behavior of the away-facing camera is fine.

I'm quite aware that 4.4.3 screwed with the camera code/capability but I can't for the life of me figure out how to actually submit a real bug report to Motorola. :/

Anyway, curious if others with the Moto G are seeing the same issue after the update. I haven't tried a full device reset (factory init).

Carrier is T-Mobile (don't think that's relevant though).
Token Ring
Message 2 of 9 (155 Views)

Re: KitKat 4.4.3 update breaking camera functionality

Same on selfie cam here.   Seems to happen only photos.   

Video appears to render correctly.

What's DOS?
Message 3 of 9 (155 Views)

Thanks Dr.Zed -- good to know it's not just me.  :-)

And yeah, video seems fine, and the away-facing camera also seems fine.  It's just the "selfie" camera that now behaves like this.

Now I wish I could figure out how to report the bug officially to Motorola so that it can get fixed in the next update (or if it's a camera software thing, maybe an app update)... still working on that...

What's DOS?
Message 4 of 9 (155 Views)

I can also confirm that I am having the same issues as well.

What's DOS?
Message 5 of 9 (155 Views)

what i'm experiencing is just that it shows full brightness when you take photos and since my brightness is turned way down when viewing the photos its dark because of that.the pics arent actually dark its just the brightness upon viewing.  i think before the update it didnt show the pics dark even if my brightness was turned down.

What's DOS?
Message 6 of 9 (155 Views)

@perryd -- I'm not actually talking about screen (LCD) brightness, I'm talking about the amount of brightness relating to the camera (think exposure, or something along those lines).  Rephrased (where the term "preview" refers to what the camera application shows you in real-time before touching the screen / pressing the volume buttons to take a photo):

In 4.4.2, the "selfie" camera previews showed high brightness/contrast, and the actual photos taken matched the preview, i.e. what you saw is what you got.

In 4.4.3, the "selfie" camera previews show high brightness/contrast, but the actual photos taken are significantly darker, i.e. WYSIWYG no longer applies, thus is very difficult to take photos using this camera (post edits are required to fix the brightness/contrast).

I can take some example shots if my above explanation doesn't make sense.  Come to think of it, and assuming it works, maybe I should take a screenshot of the preview (pressing Volume Down + Power), then also take a picture, and compare the two.  I'll try that just to see.

All I know is that after the 4.4.3 update the "selfie" camera photos are significantly darker than what the preview showed, so this is some sort of regression (and there are two ways to fix it (either show the proper brightness in the preview, or revert back to whatever the previous behaviour was in 4.4.2)).

What's DOS?
Message 7 of 9 (155 Views)

Yeah, the problem can be confirmed by comparing screenshots to that of the actual photos taken by the "selfie" camera.  (Also I just noticed the "selfie" photos are horizontally flipped, I suppose there's some logic to that too, but it's besides the point).

Screenshot: https://www.dropbox.com/s/0wbsyy6sghtdbfm/Screenshot_2014-06-07-13-04-49.png

"Selfie" camera shot: https://www.dropbox.com/s/satgx6f7ebws0m0/IMG_20140607_130455474.jpg

My point is that in 4.4.2 (and possibly earlier), aside from the horizontal flipping (ignore that), the screenshot and the actual "selfie" photo would have looked the same / had the same brightness/contrast.  With 4.4.3 that's no longer the case.

What's DOS?
Message 8 of 9 (155 Views)

Have you tried out both the motorola camera AND the google camera? Is it occurring with both?

What's DOS?
Message 9 of 9 (155 Views)

BUT, my older photos before the upgrade are darker also. When i turn up my contrast on the phone they are fine..I dont have to edit them. They look exactly like they did in the preview. In my case they are simply darker when viewing in photos if the contrast is turned down..

Top Kudoed Authors