Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Moto G PhonesMOTO G / MOTO G 4G LTE 1st Gen
All Forum Topics
Options

4 Posts

08-31-2014

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 1 of 15

Moto G low microphone volume issue

2014-08-31, 17:34 PM

Hi

I've seen this problem talked about before here but i'd like to present my personal experience as well.

The microphone volume is very low for things like Whatsapp voice recording, sony audio recorder (i have not tested call mic volume as its WiFi only currently) my speech is legible but very soft

HOWEVER

I installed "Smart Voice Recorder" which in its settings allowed the disabling of AGC (auto gain control), as well as calibrating the mic gain which it set at 1.7x , i proceeded to record a message and the volume was finally adequate.

Another note is that when capturing video the sound, while not very loud, seems to be reasonable, certainly not as soft as with the problematic apps

Is this a software or hardware issue? for the record i've tried resetting to factory with no luck as well as using safe mode

Options

11 Posts

09-01-2014

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 2 of 15

Re: Moto G low microphone volume issue

2014-09-01, 17:47 PM

I can confirm I have this in my 1 month old Moto G LTE (XT1039)

I tried to ask in different places (xda, reddit) but no one will comment.

This is the original message:

"""

Hello

I noticed my Moto G LTE microphone volume is pretty low in Whatsapp, Recording apps and in calls. Other devices are much louder and clear (I tested against the SGS2 and SGS3) anyone facing this problem too or is my device broken?

I found using the QCATest app that the DEAFULT MIC (one used for all the mentioned above) has vey low volume but none background noise, PRIMARY MIC on the other hand, has little background noise but much better volume. I guess it's a software issue regarding the background voice cancellation mechanism? can anyone confirm this?

"""

Motorola please comment on this matter, I don't know If I should get my phone replaced.

Thanks.

Options

20125 Posts

02-03-2016

United States of America

2600 Signins

65343 Page Views

• Views: 65343
  • Message 3 of 15

2014-09-03, 13:32 PM

Interesting. I'd like to know first if either of you are using screen protectors and/or cases on your phones, and if you have tried cleaning the mic port with a blast of air in case dust is in there.

Please do not PM me - if you have issues, search the forums for threads on your topic and post there, or start a new thread. Thanks!
Options

11 Posts

09-01-2014

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 4 of 15

2014-09-03, 19:13 PM

Matt (Forums Manager) said:

Interesting. I'd like to know first if either of you are using screen protectors and/or cases on your phones, and if you have tried cleaning the mic port with a blast of air in case dust is in there.

View original

I'm using tempered glass screen protector with no case, and the problem was there before I applied it.

And yes, tried to clean it with some air and checked there is no dust in there.

Like I said before, If I'm using the PRIMARY_MIC in the QCATest App so you can hear much louder. I'm really thinking this is a software related problem

Options

4 Posts

08-31-2014

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 5 of 15

2014-09-03, 23:06 PM

View original

I'm using a regular cheap plastic screen protector but unlike the Moto X the Moto G does not have any microphone openings on its face... can this still affect the volume issue? it seems unlikely. The case i'm using doesnt obstruct both mic holes

My phone is only a few months old and has seen very little use aswell as constantly being indoors in a fairly clean environment, i do not think dust is the issue.

I also just used CQAtest mic loopback and my findings are that the default mic volume is good with little background noise and the primary mic has higher volume but with higher background noise

Options

4 Posts

08-31-2014

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 6 of 15

2014-09-04, 19:44 PM

Update:

I tried using both skype and viber and the mic was working fine according to the people i was talking with.

However i tried using vibers recorded message feature and once again the mic volume was very low.

This is obviously a software issue and occurs in every scenario whereby an audio recording is made, but is fine during the live calls with the VOIP programs mentioned

Options

11 Posts

09-01-2014

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 7 of 15

2014-09-13, 14:11 PM

View original

Any word on this? I have found many people with the same issue, can't get Shazam, tons of recording apps to work properly.

Options

11 Posts

09-01-2014

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 8 of 15

2014-10-10, 9:39 AM

Still looking for solution...

Is there anyone that can point a recording app where you can hear your self ok without having to shout or speaking directly into the mic hole?

Options

25 Posts

07-21-2014

India

5 Signins

133 Page Views

• Views: 133
  • Message 9 of 15

2014-10-21, 17:13 PM
same problem here with 3 moto g lte
Options

40 Posts

07-22-2011

United States of America

47 Signins

270 Page Views

• Views: 270
  • Message 10 of 15

2014-10-21, 18:55 PM

Sixtron said:

same problem here with 3 moto g lteView original

I have tried recording voice from a fairly loud tv or by holding about 8 inches from my mouth and the sound is very quiet (moto g 4g/lte) using Rehearsal Assistant.  When I record holding the phone as one would normally hold it to talk on the phone, it records well.  But that's not how I would want to use the app!

I am not using a screen protector but am using a wallet case - but the mic hole (and all other openings) are completely unobstructed and this phone is less than 2 weeks old.  I tried it the first day when I received it and sound was quite low.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms