Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 1,797
Message 31 of 220

Re: Moto G will not power up

I know that in many markets, the Moto G only comes with a USB cable.  While Motorola will always recommend its own charger, the Motorola website says something a bit different.  Please see this information from the Motorola website about charging the Moto G.  

I agree that all phone accessories are expensive.  You may find more reasonable accessories at other websites, and this forum is a good place to ask people for recommendations.

Location settings are used for several purposes, but not to receive or make telephone calls.  Google uses the services to make recommendations, to improve navigation and more.

It is not necessary to have WiFi on to make or receive calls.  WiFi is another method of connecting to the Internet, and if you have an Internet connection in your home with a wireless router, you can connect your phone to it and turn off mobile data to save money on data costs.  Here in the U.S. many public places have free WiFi, allowing you to connect to the Internet while out and about without incurring data charges.

To update apps, many of us recommend that you do not allow apps to auto-update, but rather you should choose what to update and when.  Updating apps will incur data charges, so if you can connect to WiFi, you'll save money.  To adjust when apps update, launch the Google Play Store app on your phone, touch the three lines in the upper left corner, and then tap Settings near the bottom of the menu.  Make sure auto-update is turned off.  When an app needs an update, you will see a notification in the notification bar of your phone.  If you use an app, you should update it each time an update is available.

Here is a link to the Moto G User Guide which should be helpful.  Browsing through the Moto G Community in this forum should also provide a lot of information.

Good luck with your phone!  I hope you enjoy it, and I think you will!

NorthenLight
What's DOS?
Message 32 of 220

My issue is back! ...If I power my phone Off, I cannot power it back On properly! ...The screen is only a dark grey, and goes to total black in about one minute; no regular bright screen with the Motorola logo!  What to do what to do now! 

And, when I plugged the white USB cable between the phone and my PC, there is no more "Charging ..%" displaying, below the time and date at the center! How come how come!

Yesterday it did power back On properly, but only once I believe, and I thought that my issue was finally resolved, but no, today I tried about Six times, and to no good available! And now the charging is not displaying no more (but it is charging; I verified), so I don't know the percentage of the charging process anymore, for a quick look. 

What is it with the Moto G that makes it acting differently from one day to the next? Is there something behind our control that is the cause of this? Are those anomalies happening with other smartphones' companies as well?

I find it very annoying and frustrating at the same time, the up and down emotions from one instant to the next; there seems to be no constant happiness in every day with my Moto G. Tomorrow I will bring it to my phone company for whatever they;ll say and do about it. Because it just don't make any sense from one day to the next. 

DhirajBadwar
What's DOS?
Message 33 of 220

Matt (Forums Manager) said:

FullyG said:

Just woke up to this problem this morning, phone wouldnt switch on or charge, having run down overnight. I held down the power button for about 3 minutes and it woke up again, with 0% charge, and started charging, working fine now. Worth a try if anyone has the same problem. Otherwise leaving it for 24 hours seems to work for some people. 

View original

This is our recommendation as well. 

1. Hold the VOL DOWN key

2. While still holding the VOL DOWN key, press and hold the POWER key

3. Hold both keys down for over 120 seconds.  This is more than two minutes and will seem like a long time. You might want to time yourself to make sure you hold it longer than two minutes. 

4. After holding the keys down for more than two minutes, release them.

5. The Flash Boot screen will display, and the Normal Reboot option will be highlighted

6. Press the VOL UP key and the device will start a normal reboot.

We're working to eliminate this issue in a future update.

View original

I am facing same issue also I have following your instruction but not succeed. Now My phone is showing blank screen and battery is full. When I follow the instruction , I see device is locked. but phone is not startup normal.

NorthenLight
What's DOS?
Message 34 of 220

My phone won't power On, even with the battery fully charged!

Is it possible that my PC is not charging properly (even if my Moto G is showing 100% charged)? ...It is an old IBM PC, about 15-years old.

Would purchasing an AC charger resolve my issue?

* It's funny; we depend so much on electronics that if it doesn't work properly we feel distressed. Lol

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 35 of 220

NorthenLight said:

My phone won't power On, even with the battery fully charged!

Is it possible that my PC is not charging properly (even if my Moto G is showing 100% charged)? ...It is an old IBM PC, about 15-years old.

Would purchasing an AC charger resolve my issue?

* It's funny; we depend so much on electronics that if it doesn't work properly we feel distressed. Lol

View original

You don't have an a/c charger? Didn't the phone come with one? I think that it would definitely be a good thing to try with plugging it into an a/c charger. Charging it with a PC should be fine too, but since there seems to be a problem then the a/c route would be a good 1st step.

edit: have you tried Matt's advice above? Here is a quote from his comment:

This is our recommendation as well. 

1. Plug it into the charger 

2. Hold the VOL DOWN key

3. While still holding the VOL DOWN key, press and hold the POWER key

4. Hold both keys down for over 120 seconds.  This is more than two minutes and will seem like a long time. You might want to time yourself to make sure you hold it longer than two minutes. 

5. After holding the keys down for more than two minutes, release them.

6. The Flash Boot screen will display, and the Normal Reboot option will be highlighted

7. Press the VOL UP key and the device will start a normal reboot.

We're working to eliminate this issue in a future update.

I am not a Motorola/Lenovo Employee. I am just a volunteer who happens to be a Moderator. All comments are my own and are not necessarily Motorola/Lenovo's position.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 36 of 220

I think, and I could be wrong, that in India, the G comes with a wall charger.  But everywhere else, the G only comes with a USB cable.  See this on Moto's website.

TheCrazyDutchma
What's DOS?
Message 37 of 220

It seems to me with Smart phone manufacturers who are still learning about this issue need to consider this very inconvenient glitch.  Here are some manufacturing ideas:   1.  Before the phone gets deeply discharged say at 0% software should power it self down at 2%.  Also,  having designed the Moto g with a battery not user removable is risky, because simply removing the battery and replacing it assist in clearing troublesome glitches from time to time.  Other than this issue the phone is amazing.  So Moto you almost designed a perfect phone.

fairyfreak
What's DOS?
Message 38 of 220

My phone has been on charge all day so I unplugged it thinking it would be fine and it said connect charger then died. I can't get it to turn back on or charge up. I have only had it since march the 30th. Is there anything I can do? Shall I just sent it back and get a refund?

Thanks Smiley Happy 

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 39 of 220

fairyfreak said:

My phone has been on charge all day so I unplugged it thinking it would be fine and it said connect charger then died. I can't get it to turn back on or charge up. I have only had it since march the 30th. Is there anything I can do? Shall I just sent it back and get a refund?

Thanks Smiley Happy 

View original

are you using the original cable and a/c adapter?

I am not a Motorola/Lenovo Employee. I am just a volunteer who happens to be a Moderator. All comments are my own and are not necessarily Motorola/Lenovo's position.

DrDiGiT
What's DOS?
Message 40 of 220

My moto g 8gb was turned off for two days and when I was turning it off it had about 30% of charge left. I usually charge it with a wall charger. 

Now I am trying to turn it on but it is not turning on. When I do the method of keeping the power button pressed for 120 seconds then all I see is that the led notificiation light turns on once and then a second time with a dull led. But the screen doesn't turn on. I have tried holding it for longer times too but the same thing happens yet it does not turn on. 

I tried giving it an all night charge but its still not turning on. I tried the method where you press the volume button down and the power button. The led notification light blinks about once in a while during that but whether I keep on holding it for 120 seconds or lesser . The problem remains the same.

Is there any other help? Is my moto dead? Or is there anything else I can try? I have left it in the wall charger for now. I have the original cable and wall charger as I prefer wall charging. I also tried sony wall chargers to see if any difference was made.

Only once when I put the moto g with an htc charger the led notification blinked a dim light but that was it. No difference after that.