Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ksemeh
What's DOS?
Views: 24,246
Message 11 of 219

Re: Moto G will not power up

Kavindu,

I get your point that we should not let Moto G run down battery below 10% to prevent from dead phone.  But, it should not be that way.  People use their phone until no juice is left sometimes as there may be no charging available.  We need to make sure Motorola is aware and find out if it is an issue with HW.  I am worried this may happen again in a few months down the road.

So far, my replacement unit (2nd time purchase) is working fine for now.
Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 12 of 219

Go to www.batteryuniversity.com.  They have a lot of great information about lithium ion batteries.  Running the battery to zero can damage the protective circuitry.  It's not a Motorola issue, it's the way all of the batteries work.  

Sizzers
802.11n
Message 13 of 219

crystallet said:

Go to www.batteryuniversity.com.  They have a lot of great information about lithium ion batteries.  Running the battery to zero can damage the protective circuitry.  It's not a Motorola issue, it's the way all of the batteries work.  

View original

It's not good to repeatedly fully drain your battery and to try and avoid letting it run too far down: their advice is to run a battery at between 40-80%, charging little and often.

However, even BU do suggest to run the battery down once a month to help with calibration which I can understand. Unfortunately there does seem to be a problem with some peoples' devices not powering up from an empty charge which shouldn't be happening, as well as some pretty erratic battery levels. I've had a few hiccups with my battery, but touch wood nothing too serious so far.

MarkN1
What's DOS?
Message 14 of 219

Thanks to everyone for their contributions. The key point learnt by me is that Lithium-Ion batteries are different to the old NICd batteries. There's no need to condition the battery by running it down to zero; in fact it is probably better not to let the battery drop below 20-40% charge. So:

1. Don't let the Moto G battery run out, if you can. At the very least, start charging when the low-power indicator appears. For many users that might mean charging at the end of every day.

2. If the battery runs out and refuses to recharge, don't panic! Let  the phone rest (not plugged in to charger) for a few hours or overnight, then it will respond to the charger.

Needless to say, it would be helpful if some of this info was in the Moto G manual!

Kavindu
What's DOS?
Message 15 of 219

At least we should be happy .,, this isn't a problem like "sudden death" found in SONY, Samsnug devices . We know the root cause and I think motorola should make people aware about this to avoid any difficulties... 

regards 

zapper1
What's DOS?
Views: 24,245
Message 16 of 219

my charge got fully drained and I did not bother for an hour as I was busy at work, I tried switching it on after an hour and there was just pulse light, then I fixed the charger and the display showed 0% and charging when clicked on the side button, after a while even the display went away, I pressed and held the power button and nothing happened, I left it that way for a couple of hours and nothing changed, so I removed the charger and left it for another half hour, then again I fixed the charger and the pulse light started to glow but still no charging display, then I waited for another 20 minuted and then press and hold power button, the phone switched on, it was such a relief.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 17 of 219

These batteries calibrate by charging them to 100% and then leaving them on charge for a few hours more.  Running them down to zero can damage them.  

When a phone won't power up in the normal way, try holding the power button for at least ten seconds.  But when the battery has been drained to zero, you should let it charge for at least a couple of hours before you even try.

If being near a wall outlet is an issue, then perhaps a portable battery pack is the answer.

FullyG
What's DOS?
Message 18 of 219

Just woke up to this problem this morning, phone wouldnt switch on or charge, having run down overnight. I held down the power button for about 3 minutes and it woke up again, with 0% charge, and started charging, working fine now. Worth a try if anyone has the same problem. Otherwise leaving it for 24 hours seems to work for some people. 

Ciprian1
What's DOS?
Message 19 of 219

@FullyG - thanks for your solution. This has worked on my device. I held down the button while the phone was connected to the charger.

Motorola Admin Motorola Admin
Motorola Admin
Message 20 of 219

FullyG said:

Just woke up to this problem this morning, phone wouldn't switch on or charge, having run down overnight. I held down the power button for about 3 minutes and it woke up again, with 0% charge, and started charging, working fine now. Worth a try if anyone has the same problem. Otherwise leaving it for 24 hours seems to work for some people. 

View original

This is our recommendation as well. 

1. Plug it into the charger 

2. Hold the VOL DOWN key

3. While still holding the VOL DOWN key, press and hold the POWER key

4. Hold both keys down for over 120 seconds.  This is more than two minutes and will seem like a long time. You might want to time yourself to make sure you hold it longer than two minutes. 

5. After holding the keys down for more than two minutes, release them.

6. The Flash Boot screen will display, and the Normal Reboot option will be highlighted

7. Press the VOL UP key and the device will start a normal reboot.

We're working to eliminate this issue in a future update.

UPDATE:

If you have tried the above and it didn't work, try this:

• Plug in the phone for 15 minutes.

• Proceed to Step 2 above.

Thanks.

Top Kudoed Authors