cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BretAB
Fanfold Paper
Views: 148
Message 1 of 6

Moto G4 Plus (aka G4+ ) screen LCD went permanently dotted pixelated speckled.

Hi,

Yesterday one of our users was using their Moto G4+ inside their house. They were in the Whatsapp app as usual, and suddenly out of nowhere, the entire screen turn into a finely-grained multicolor impressionist-like canvas. it looks like very small pixelation or like multi-colored specled paint. 

Additionally, the fingerprint reader is also unresponsive now. I've tried everything I could think of to power cycle the phone: 1) Hold power down, wait 3 seconds, press where the "Power Off" pop-up usually appears. 2) Hold power down, wait 10 seconds, I can hear the reboot sound, but never any pre-OS launch Moto sounds. 4) Power button + Volume Up (to enter Recovery mode). 

Just in case something nefaruis is going on, and since I don't seem to be able to power it off, and even though the phone does have paid antivirus-antimalware installed, I removed the SIM and SD card.  Yes, I know the SD is still mounted probably. Now I'm waiting for it to run out of battery power. Btw, it's so nice that the battery is inaccessable without discetion isn't it? Not!

I've attached a pic of this latest G4+ failure. Does anyone have an idea what failed this time? Was it the LCD screen and digitizer assembly? CPU board? Other? Thanks for your thoughts, comments and suggestions in advance.

Regards . . .

KarlBeckman
802.11n
Views: 130
Message 2 of 6

Re: Moto G4 Plus (aka G4+ ) screen LCD went permanently pixelated speckled.

When you reboot into recovery mode, do you also remember to clear the cache memory before you allow any apps to reload?  

BretAB
Fanfold Paper
Views: 121
Message 3 of 6

Hi Karl,

Thanks for the suggestion, but I can't boot into anything becuase I can't see anything except for that pixelated screen. The fingerprint button dosn't work now either.

Regards,

Bret

BretAB
Fanfold Paper
Views: 99
Message 4 of 6

Hi KarlBeckman et al,

Yesterday I received new information that has illuminated (punn intended) the source of the problem: My user informs me that just before the screen went speckled/dotted: They had been at work, using the phone and waiting in their lobby for a major thunderstorm to pass. When the downpur began to subside, the user  ran for their car . . . with the phone in their back pocket. They arrived home about 10 minutes later, did something for 2-3 minutes, then turned on their Android app, and that's when the phone failed. According to this new info, there was maybe 15 minutes between the phone working and its failure.

For posterity, I've attached 2 pics that clearly show water staining an pooling inside the top rear of the phone.

IMG_20191029_084319~2.jpgSigns of water pooling (rubber cap removed) for other inspection)

IMG_20191029_084454~2.jpgNo guessing about the source of the problem here.

My guess is that the earphone hole that's directly above the rear camera took a direct hit from one of our grape size raindrops. In addition to letting yourself open to an easy phone pick-pocket, this is just one more reason NOT to hang your cell phone on your butt pocket. Another lesson learned the hard way.

One final comment: This is a known common issue:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Moto-G4-Moto-G4-Plus-Moto-G4/Moto-G4-plus-statisc-screen-with-colored-d...

I'm disappointed that no one from Lenovo had the courtesy to explain the problem in this thread.

Hope this all helps someone.

Regards . . .

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 65
Message 5 of 6

@BretAB wrote:

Hi KarlBeckman et al,

Yesterday I received new information that has illuminated (punn intended) the source of the problem: My user informs me that just before the screen went speckled/dotted: They had been at work, using the phone and waiting in their lobby for a major thunderstorm to pass. When the downpur began to subside, the user  ran for their car . . . with the phone in their back pocket. They arrived home about 10 minutes later, did something for 2-3 minutes, then turned on their Android app, and that's when the phone failed. According to this new info, there was maybe 15 minutes between the phone working and its failure.

For posterity, I've attached 2 pics that clearly show water staining an pooling inside the top rear of the phone.

IMG_20191029_084319~2.jpgSigns of water pooling (rubber cap removed) for other inspection)

IMG_20191029_084454~2.jpgNo guessing about the source of the problem here.

My guess is that the earphone hole that's directly above the rear camera took a direct hit from one of our grape size raindrops. In addition to letting yourself open to an easy phone pick-pocket, this is just one more reason NOT to hang your cell phone on your butt pocket. Another lesson learned the hard way.

One final comment: This is a known common issue:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Moto-G4-Moto-G4-Plus-Moto-G4/Moto-G4-plus-statisc-screen-with-colored-d...

I'm disappointed that no one from Lenovo had the courtesy to explain the problem in this thread.

Hope this all helps someone.

Regards . . .

Hi BretAB,

Sorry to know about this, looks like it is a hardware failure and a repair in the next option. I would suggest submitting the device and go for repair. Her is the link.

Regards,

Suman

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Highlighted
BretAB
Fanfold Paper
Views: 51
Message 6 of 6

Thanks Sunman. I don't mind paying when it's obvious we screwed up. Thanks for the link.
Regards . . .