Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
frupoli
What's DOS?
Views: 37,036
Message 1 of 7

MotoG People App: not able to add contacts to SIM

Good morning.

I just bought a new Motorola Moto G. Very good device, useful software, very satisfied. I'm new in Android world, but not at all in PC and Apps world.

Doubt and question for you: when I add a new contact, I'm not able to save it to SIM card (I had all my contacts on the SIM card) but I can only add it to my Google account which I was requested to insert during initial setup of the phone.

My contacts are now on my account Google, but if I wanted to still have them on my SIM card... why cannot I wrtite them to my SIM?? angry Please an help and your advice.

Thank you.

live2skico
802.11n
Views: 36,970
Message 2 of 7

Re: MotoG People App: not able to add contacts to SIM

that's how android works, everything is linked to your google account (for better or worse).  Go into the people app, click on the 3 dots in the lower right corner and select import/export.  This will export your contacts as a .vsf file.  There are also apps in the market which will export your contacts to your sim card.  

But why do that? if you lose your phone, you've lost all your contacts.  With the contacts in Google, when you sync your gmail account to your next phone, all your contacts will be there. plus you can access them from any computer.   

frupoli
What's DOS?
Message 3 of 7

First of all, thanks for your answer.

I understand now the advantages of having my contacts in a Google account, I only wanted to have the choice. Why don't leave me the choice to save my contact to my SIM card, if I wanted or needed?

For me, saving my contact to SIM card could permit to me to have my contacts even on older phones wich are not smartphones and not connected to the web. I ensure that this could be a real possibility or need for someone.

Do u think that I could access my SIM card if I just disconnet my Google account from my phone? ....

Or... could someone give to me an advice about an App to manage contacts on SIM? Manage means... write on the SIM card... not only read! :-)

>> plus you can access them from any computer

Please could you explain me with little more detail?

live2skico
802.11n
Message 4 of 7

you don't need to remove your google account from the phone.  The contacts should still be on the sim card. Google just imported them, not removed them from the sim. Try this now, take out the sim card and put in a feature phone to see if they are still there.  You just can't add new contact to the sim card without an app.  I don't use any of these apps, but searching the play store for 'export to sim' comes up with several well ranked apps.

to access your contacts via a computer, log into gmail, and select contacts.  You can add/delete/modify the contacts as needed.  Any changes will be synced to the phone.

niami
Paper Tape
Views: 22,529
Message 5 of 7

My Moto G is dying after 2 and a half years and now, with all the updates, I see that no contact was imported to my Google account and I mean phone numbers, not Facebook and email contacts. 

I used the Import/export option and created the vsf file in Storage, but is this all I need to do? Is everything saved on my sim card with this action? I have no other phone to transfer the sim to see if it has all the contacts on it. Moreover, the phone seems so damaged that it doesn't connect to my computer anymore so that I could go into its files from my computer and recover what I need. 

Why my Google account didn't upload my phone contacts so far? I know that my phone contacts list was filled one day with all the contacts I have ever had in my life in my Yahoo mail, most of them not at all important to me, I was also asked to create a google account which I did, following the instructions on the phone, but surprisingly there's nothing of what I need in there. How can I save my phone contacts now?

Redbeard99
Paper Tape
Views: 17,164
Message 6 of 7

It's not how android works, it's how Motorolas implementation of android works. Motorola android v7 does not have a setting to export to sim. HTC version 4.4 does have an export to sim.
Motorola is just forcing us to use google

ohh and I know excactly what DOS is, you presumptive.....

Highlighted
Rhinobiker
Paper Tape
Views: 233
Message 7 of 7

That "What's DOS" line is something motorola adds to new accounts, it did the same to me. Yes, I know it's an old post.

Top Kudoed Authors