cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hedgehog90
Paper Tape
Views: 16,411
Message 1 of 16

No signal. Radio off. Can't make/receive calls. Second Time it's happened, tried everything.

About a year ago I ran into this quite prevalent bug/defect among Moto G models. I spent 2 days trying to fix it, flashed stock firmware, wipes, all sorts of fiddling about, until suddenly it started working again.

I think it was following the old the old trick of turning on Aeroplane Mode, rebooting, and turning off Aeroplane Mode, but it seemed somewhat unexplainable as I had tried this more than once with no results.

About 4 weeks ago the same thing happened again. No signal.

I've tried everything.

I've flashed stock firmwares twice. I've installed all the most recent updates. Cleared caches and all that.

I've tried every combination of sim removal, rebooting and toggling Aeroplane Mode possible.

The  [removed]  menu provides nothing, if I change the preferred network type it will revert to LTE/GSM Auto (PRL) after a reboot. Touching 'TURN ON RADIO' does nothing, as if the button has no function.

And when I go to make a call, it says in big letters 'Radio Off', and immediately I get a popup saying 'To place a call, first turn off Aeroplane Mode'... I'm not in Aeroplane Mode though.

If I remove the sim altogether, I get the 'Mobile networks not available' popup as expected.

Since I lost the ability to make or receive calls, there's been 0 sign of life from the radio transceiver, but I still suspect this is entirely a software problem, as so many people encounter this and manage to get it working again (myself included).

Everything else functions completely fine.

It's an XT1039, my IMEI is still correctly showing, my sim works in other phones, inserting a new sim though doesn't help matters.

Please help.

• Edited due to violating Site Rules' putting dial codes. -Jess
Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 16,171
Message 2 of 16

Re: No signal. Radio off. Can't make/receive calls. Second Time it's happened, tried everything.

@hedgehog90 wrote:

About a year ago I ran into this quite prevalent bug/defect among Moto G models. I spent 2 days trying to fix it, flashed stock firmware, wipes, all sorts of fiddling about, until suddenly it started working again.

I think it was following the old the old trick of turning on Aeroplane Mode, rebooting, and turning off Aeroplane Mode, but it seemed somewhat unexplainable as I had tried this more than once with no results.

About 4 weeks ago the same thing happened again. No signal.

I've tried everything.

I've flashed stock firmwares twice. I've installed all the most recent updates. Cleared caches and all that.

I've tried every combination of sim removal, rebooting and toggling Aeroplane Mode possible.

The [removed] menu provides nothing, if I change the preferred network type it will revert to LTE/GSM Auto (PRL) after a reboot. Touching 'TURN ON RADIO' does nothing, as if the button has no function.

And when I go to make a call, it says in big letters 'Radio Off', and immediately I get a popup saying 'To place a call, first turn off Aeroplane Mode'... I'm not in Aeroplane Mode though.

If I remove the sim altogether, I get the 'Mobile networks not available' popup as expected.

Since I lost the ability to make or receive calls, there's been 0 sign of life from the radio transceiver, but I still suspect this is entirely a software problem, as so many people encounter this and manage to get it working again (myself included).

Everything else functions completely fine.

It's an XT1039, my IMEI is still correctly showing, my sim works in other phones, inserting a new sim though doesn't help matters.

Please help.

• Edited due to violating Site Rules' putting dial codes. -Jess

Since you have flashed software, we can't help on this forum. Only stock phones are supported here. That includes locked boot loader and never been flashed. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
hedgehog90
Paper Tape
Views: 16,159
Message 3 of 16

Re: No signal. Radio off. Can't make/receive calls. Second Time it's happened, tried everything.

You refuse to even acknowledge my question because I've flashed my phone with official firmware?
Well, thanks.
Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 16,154
Message 4 of 16

@hedgehog90 wrote:
You refuse to even acknowledge my question because I've flashed my phone with official firmware?
Well, thanks.

The motorola site has never provided firmware for 1st or 2nd gen moto G thati have seen. So I am not sure why you say this is official. 

But even if it were official, these forums are for unmodified  devices. User flashed devices are modified. 

No one refused to acknowledge you or there would be no replies.  Others can post suggestions if they wish. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
MandA3
What's DOS?
Views: 15,986
Message 5 of 16

I'm having the same problem. My phone is as it came from Motorola... Unlocked. 

Can you help?

hedgehog90
Paper Tape
Views: 15,983
Message 6 of 16

Since my last post, I removed the sim from my moto g and was using it in an old samsung phone.

A month later I tried putting it in the moto g again... and it worked. I had signal again.

But then about 5 days later, the problem returned. No signal, tells me I'm in aeroplane mode when I try to make a call.

I'm back to using the old phone to make/receive calls and use 4g.

Very frustrating.

MelkorCZ
What's DOS?
Views: 11,440
Message 7 of 16

I have the same problem, with stock unmodified Moto G 1 LTE, system up to date.

Suddenly, for no apparent reason, my service disappeared. Airplane mode, reboots, removing SIM, nothing solves it. In the "Phone info" hidden screen, it says: "GSM service: Radio off". There is a button "TURN ON RADIO", but clicking on it does nothing.

Can you please help me?

TerryinNC
What's DOS?
Views: 9,591
Message 8 of 16

Moto G (1045XT), Android 5.1.  Put it in airplane mode Wednesday evening - won't come out.  No service, radio off, etc., same symptoms described here.  Tried chatting with Mot support in India but they had no idea.  I appreciate mine is an "old" phone and warrants little support, but there must be some of the original software guys still around who know what else is controlling the radio besides the airplane app,  Most of what I see online is a giant fishing expedition of clearing, resetting, try this combination, etc.   

I don't think its an interaction with a 3rd party app (safe mode has no effect), but ...  Is there a way to tell when apps were last updated?  I don't pay close attention but I may well have approved some Wednesday morning.  I'd be glad to start there. 

dimeslime
Fanfold Paper
Views: 9,210
Message 9 of 16

Its not the software its the snapdragon 615 chipset, try and search phones with this issue, even on qualcomm's website theylink is unavailable to this chipset. no one even tells the truth

TerryinNC
What's DOS?
Views: 9,191
Message 10 of 16

Thanks. Good thought. But my phone predates snapdragon 615. Do you have any further idea about what the bug is and how to get around it?
Top Kudoed Authors