Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PhoneDonkey
WWAN
Views: 15,866
Message 1 of 6

Set to update and sync only when on WiFi

In order to save network data usage

1) Is it possible to set the phone to only check for updates and sync when WiFi is available

2) Without simply manually switching Network Data off is it possible to set the phone to use WiFi when both WiFi and a network is available. (Mine seems to choose the network if both are available)

I have noticed other phones have this facility built in, is it possible or is there an App which will do it?

Motorola Admin Motorola Admin
Motorola Admin
Views: 15,780
Message 2 of 6

Re: Set to update and sync only when on WiFi

Unless I am misunderstand, yes.

1. Turn off mobile data and it will only use Wi-Fi. I think I may be misunderstanding this part of your question though.

2. Wi-Fi should be the first option. If it's not, go to Settings > Wi-Fi > Menu > Advanced > uncheck "Avoid poor connections." That might be why Wi-Fi is not kicking in?

Please do not PM me - if you have issues, search the forums for threads on your topic and post there, or start a new thread. Thanks!
PhoneDonkey
WWAN
Message 3 of 6

Hi Matt

1) Yes if you switch off mobile data then it will only use WiFi but because the timing of updating and syncing seems to be random and automatic it could (and does) update while mobile data is available (and maybe WiFi is not). I was looking for a switch that restricted actioning the Update and/or sync when Mobile data was switched on and WiFi was not available. I have found in Play Store settings an option to "Auto update over WiFi only" so that should take care of all updates from play store. I guess there are just now updates from other places, motorola and the auto syncing to gmail etc to try to force to use WiFi.

2) "WiFi should be the first option" ?, well I hope so, but when I switched on my second phone (I had to return the faulty first phone I bought) it brilliantly completely set up the new phone from the back ups but it downloaded all the Apps etc via mobile data even when WiFi was available so from that experience it looked like it choses Mobile Data first. I was asking if there is a setting to control that, there is on the Samsung.

Highlighted
IanSB
What's DOS?
Message 4 of 6

1.Open Play Store

2. Go to settings

3. select auto-update apps

4. select update over wi-fi only

It doesn't help with synching but it does stop apps updating over your data plan

Alokebhakta
What's DOS?
Views: 11,642
Message 5 of 6

I want to update my phone using mobile data,how can i?

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 11,628
Message 6 of 6

Turn off WIFI and then check for updates.

Hoov
Former Microsoft MVP - Consumer Security
SpywareHammer.com