Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Alex695
What's DOS?
Views: 64,446
Message 1 of 19

cannot connect moto g to mac via usb

i am unable to connect via usb to my mac, i cannot successfully download mdm install either, it says it is successful but then i  cannot find it

the phone charges via usb only

i also tried connection through andriod file transfer but it couldnt find a device

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 2 of 19

Re: cannot connect moto g to mac via usb

Are you using the cable that came in the box with the G?  If not, try that.

WillyPhu
What's DOS?
Message 3 of 19

Mac Users are required to install Android File Transfer from Google in order to permit any storage transfers... etc. 

Download Link : http://www.android.com/filetransfer/

Instructions are on the site . 

Alex695
What's DOS?
Message 4 of 19

after a bit of a fiddle android file transfer did the trick thanks

pa_co
What's DOS?
Message 5 of 19

sorry but nothing works for me: filetransfer doesn't find any device and I use the cable that came with the box (also tried with other cables). 

I installed the Motorola Device Manager (MDM (https://motorola-global-es-latam.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/89882), I've also tried this: https://motorola-global-es-latam.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/91562 but nothing happens.

The most shocking is that the first times I connected the phone to the Mac there appeared the USB connection mode options: MTP (Media Device) and another one, but this only happened once or twice and nevermore, I don't understand nothing.

The Mac completely ignores the phone, it doesn't recognise it as a disk, nor as a camera on iPhoto or as a device in Doubletwist app.

Very frustrating. 

captain-janeway
What's DOS?
Message 6 of 19

All I get when I hook phone to Mac is a note for android file transfer (I did download it). However, the phone doesn't show as an attached device. I can move for example photos from the phone to mac, but not the other way.

I did get photos loaded from old phone to new, but it puts them all in Photos. If you want to attach photos to contacts, they have to be in gallery. I haven't figured out how to get one to the other and it seems stupid to have them in both places.

If I realized I'd have to worship at the god Google to use this thing, I probably wouldn't have bought it. What a pain!

I'm about to throw this thing out and get a Samsung

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 7 of 19

Did you follow these instructions?

captain-janeway
What's DOS?
Message 8 of 19

Now I just have two copies of android transfer showing under finder. It still doesn't show the phone as a listed device.

I can sometimes manage to pull a file from docs straight over to the phone, but I can't find where they are on the phone once it's unplugged. If I try to click on it looking at the phone window when it's plugged in, I get messages saying either "to open move file to computer" or" can't access storage"

I went through another help link

https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/97429

and and installed help for Mac. If  I try to activate android transfer what I don't see is:

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 9 of 19

Motorola does not include a file manager on their phones because there are some excellent, and free, file managers in the Play store.  The ones that have been recommended often in here are Astro File Manager, ES File Explorer and Root Explorer (which doesn't require root).  All of those apps will allow you to explore your phone, and move or copy files on the device.  They also allow you to manage files in the cloud.

captain-janeway
What's DOS?
Message 10 of 19

Thank you. I'll give some of these ideas a try, but it's very strange to me that the Mac doesn't even show the phone listed as an attached device when it's hooked up through USB. I'll try tech support as well. Maybe it really is the phone even though I know it's normally the user.