RonV407
What's DOS?
Views: 15,972
Message 1 of 15

"internal error" with KitKat email app?

Hi, 

Tried to do a search in this forum but didn't get any hits on it:

Moto G / KitKat / US, Carrier: Solavei

Set up the default Android email app for both gmail and hotmail. Hotmail, for some reason when you set it up automatically, decides it's an Exchange based email and sets it up as a Corporate Email. Not a concern for me. 

What is a concern is trying to get email on either the gmail or the hotmail side, and getting a a triangle error with the words "Internal Error", and a "Report" button that doesn't seem to do anything when you tap on it.

The program still seems to work just the error is annoying.

I tried to search this on the Moto forum, but didn't see anything. However if you do a Google search, there seem to be quite a few external forums that talk just about this. The common suggestion, besides the usual "clear out the program and disable it ( you can't remove it, it seems to be inherent ), and then try to enable it, No joy. only other solution is to use something like k9, and I'm not much of a fan of this program.

Any ideas how to fix this issue or any other free multi mail program I can use?

Thanx,

Ron V.

Posted this in January, and no response yet, I'm hoping editing will bring it back up, as I still don't have a solutions and Moto G chat didn't have much of a solution either. RV

Ed_D1
What's DOS?
Message 2 of 15

Re: "internal error" with KitKat email app?

Moto G

Android v.4.4.2

System v174.44.1.falcon_umts.Retail.en.US

Same issue.  Can't send or receive e-mail.  Only with Yahoo mail.  Outlook and Gmail work fine.   Seems to have just started on the 1st of June 2014.  I think Yahoo may have changed something but not sure what or how to fix it.

Any thoughts?

PhoneDonkey
WWAN
Message 3 of 15

Only with Yahoo mail.  Outlook and Gmail work fine.   Seems to have just started on the 1st of June 2014.  I think Yahoo may have changed something but not sure what or how to fix it.

Any thoughts?

Have you thought about using Yahoo's own mail App https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.yahoo.mobile.client.android.mail

Ed_D1
What's DOS?
Message 4 of 15

Yeah I thought about that.  I really like the idea that all my e-mail is consolidated into one app.  Kind of like Trillion used to do with all the chat clients.  Yeah I'm old school. ;-)

... but now I'm seeing another issue with Outlook.  I get mail but I've got a whole slew of crap in my outbox.

It also seems to be intermittent. As yesterday, I deleted the Yahoo mail acct and recreated it.  It kept complaining about my credentials being bad.  I retyped them a trillion times and then mysteriously it connected and got all the mail.  Then I send an e-mail from my laptop  and forced it to get mail and it gave me the "internal error"

it's bullpoop...I'm sure Yahoo just wants you to use their app cause then they can push ads and other crap to you while you get your e-mail.

I'll try it and see how it works.

I really need to set up my own mail server again.  ;-)

Thanks for the help.

Ed_D1
What's DOS?
Message 5 of 15

yo ....just trying it.  kind of a turd.  I sent myself an e-mail from my g-mail acct.  it showed up in the acct when I checked with the laptop but nothing with the app.  took about 10 minutes before it showed up even when I was forcing it to get new mail.

funniest thing about all this is the gmail account works great right now.  go figure

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 6 of 15

Ed_D said:

Yeah I thought about that.  I really like the idea that all my e-mail is consolidated into one app.  Kind of like Trillion used to do with all the chat clients.  Yeah I'm old school. ;-)

... but now I'm seeing another issue with Outlook.  I get mail but I've got a whole slew of crap in my outbox.

It also seems to be intermittent. As yesterday, I deleted the Yahoo mail acct and recreated it.  It kept complaining about my credentials being bad.  I retyped them a trillion times and then mysteriously it connected and got all the mail.  Then I send an e-mail from my laptop  and forced it to get mail and it gave me the "internal error"

it's bullpoop...I'm sure Yahoo just wants you to use their app cause then they can push ads and other crap to you while you get your e-mail.

I'll try it and see how it works.

I really need to set up my own mail server again.  ;-)

Thanks for the help.

View original

What do you mean "used to"?

Trillian's still around...    ;-)

live2skico
802.11n
Message 7 of 15

try using a different/better email app like K-9 mail.  you wont be able to setup hotmail with exchange - only pop/imap accounts.  you can also have the gmail app pull in your other mail accounts.

RonV407
What's DOS?
Message 8 of 15

I don't need to set up Hotmail as exchange. The email program decided it was so. K-9 will do Hotmail, I just don't like the program and besides, why add an app to take up space on the phone when there is already a built in app that will do the same function?

And yes, trillian still does exist, I am still using it after all these years Smiley Happy

For me, the strange thing is the email program still does work, for both gmail and Hotmail. It's just the "internal error" popping up every time I am using the program that bugs me. I just don't know when or if it will mess up. the other is the "send feedback" button that does nothing either.

Ron V.

live2skico
802.11n
Message 9 of 15

as you have found out, the default email app is not very good.  it's always had issues and google does not have a big incentive to make it robust - they want you to use gmail.  

Just because it came with the OS does not mean it's what you need to use - it's not iOS wink  You asked if there was another email app which will work.  If you don't like k-9 mail, that's fine.  but you'll get much better features, support and updates from k-9 or any other 3rd party mail app than the default email app.  also you can always use gmail to import your mail which is the default mail app.

MotoAgent
MotoAgent
Message 10 of 15

Hey all,

I added both a Gmail account and a Hotmail account to the Email app on the Moto G. I added the Hotmail account as a corporate account (same as the OP) and configured the Gmail account in Email as well (instead of just using the Gmail app) and didn’t encounter the same issue. I haven’t seen any other reports from other people either.

Maybe try removing the accounts and adding them again and also check with just the Hotmail account and then with just the Gmail account. Maybe one of the accounts is causing the error? Try safe mode as well to see if an app interferes: What is safe mode and how do I use it ?

Or, use K9 or another email program if you don't wish to troubleshoot.

Cheers,

Nicole