Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Moto PhonesMOTO MAXX / MOTO TURBO
All Forum Topics
Options

22 Posts

10-18-2012

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 1 of 21

Frustrations with Locked Bootloaders

2016-01-07, 17:53 PM

I bought a used Droid Maxx XT1080 and the bootloader is locked. Used to be able to hack past that but apparently no longer.

Even though the phone was originally made for Verizon, I'm not a Verizon customer. I'm using Straight Talk. And although I know they are a reseller of Verizon's network I have to ask - what is it that gives Verizon the right to keep my bootloader locked on a phone that I didn't buy from them when I'm not a customer of theirs? 

It's my phone. I'm thinking about doing something about it. I'm just wondering if I'm missing something.

Thoughts?

Options

28352 Posts

02-02-2016

United States of America

5841 Signins

132765 Page Views

• Views: 132765
  • Message 2 of 21

Re: Frustrations with Locked Bootloaders

2016-01-07, 18:06 PM

You are in the wrong forum. This is for the Moto Maxx - a different phone. 

As for "rights" - the phone was made for Verizon and that was their rule. It is true of all Verizon branded phones and there has only been one exception (2013 X verizon dev edition).  Verizon never sold the phone for use on any other network, and the people that buy Verizon phones understand the deal they make.

You bought the phone used, so you get it in the condition it is in. Having an unlockable bootloader was never a feature of the phone. 

No one forced you to buy the phone. If an unlockable boot loader is your wish, you should get such a phone. 

This is a user to user forum, so all you will get is opinions here. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Options

12372 Posts

02-02-2016

United States of America

2935 Signins

20947 Page Views

• Views: 20947
  • Message 3 of 21

2016-01-07, 18:12 PM

You're missing two things:  there was, in fact, a developer edition of the Droid Maxx that had an unlockable bootloader.  And...

Despite the openness provisions of the Block C license, the FCC stipulated that a carrier had to comply with opennesss only if it didn't interfere with “the management or protection of the licensee’s network.” 

Not sure there's really anything you can do.

Options

22 Posts

10-18-2012

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 4 of 21

2016-01-07, 18:20 PM

I know there was a developer edition. I don't consider that relevant.

Carriers used to lock phones to their network. Then - like you said - FCC ordered openness. It's my opinion that would also apply to the bootloader. No one has ever demonstrated that an unlocked bootloader is a threat to anyone's network.

Since I'm not a Verizon customer I have no agreement with them about anything so why does what they want matter?

Options

28352 Posts

02-02-2016

United States of America

5841 Signins

132765 Page Views

• Message 5 of 21

2016-01-07, 18:40 PM

I don't disagree with your opinion that you should be able to do what you like with your phone, It is your phone. But Verizon phones are built that way per Verizon. 

Do like many others of us do - vote with your wallet. If you want an unlockable bootloader then buy a phone that has one and don't patronize Verizon. 

Your argument and dissatisfaction are not new - but the only option you have is to get a different phone. There is nothing else anyone here can do. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Options

22 Posts

10-18-2012

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 6 of 21

2016-01-07, 18:48 PM

Here's the issue. And I should have said this in my first post. This can be fixed if Motorola were to give me the unlock code. So the problem can be fixed if Motorola stopped denying me the unlock code.

So - my real complaint is with Motorola - why do the have the right to deny me an unlock code because Verizon wants it? (Assuming that the reason Motorola isn't allowing me to have the code is because of Verizon)

If this weren't easily fixable with an unlock code I wouldn't be complaining here.

BTW - wasn't there some trick to get an unlock code by putting in a SIM from a different network?

Options

12372 Posts

02-02-2016

United States of America

2935 Signins

20947 Page Views

• Message 7 of 21

2016-01-07, 19:01 PM

You may not consider it relevant, but the FCC and Verizon would, and I'm not sure I disagree with that.  What Verizon wants matters so long as your phone rides on their network, regardless of how you get there.

According to the FCC, openness only refers to your ability to take your phone from one carrier to another.  The carrier is within their rights, at least as currently interpreted, to limit or disallow unlocked bootloaders based upon the fact that custom software might not work properly on the network.  They also say that they can't provide support to customers with custom software.

However, if an unlockable bootloader was an important feature for you, then maybe you should have checked out the phone's "unlockability" before the purchase.  

Options

12372 Posts

02-02-2016

United States of America

2935 Signins

20947 Page Views

• Message 8 of 21

2016-01-07, 19:18 PM

Motorola will not give you an unlock code for a phone if they have an agreement with the carrier not to unlock it.  They have agreed that the only Verizon branded phones they will unlock are the developer editions.  The fact that you're using it on one of Verizon's MVNOs does not make it any less a Verizon branded phone.

Since the phone is not unlockable, the Forum House Rules would not permit us to discuss unlocking the phone by any but the official route.

I think we all get a few surprises when we get a new device, but we should never be surprised by the presence or absence of the features upon which we determine a buy/no buy decision.  There's a lot of modding information on the web that would have helped make the decision.

Options

28352 Posts

02-02-2016

United States of America

5841 Signins

132765 Page Views

• Message 9 of 21

2016-01-07, 19:22 PM

The SIM has nothing to do with the bootloader unlock. You can switch SIM cards all you want. 

Also, the Droid name is licensed to Verizon from Lucas Films - Motorola is thus building the phone under contract for Verizon. Your complaint is with Verizon. They dictated the terms of this phone. 

All your reasoning has been stipulated before since locked boot loaders appeared - and nothing has changed. This is a multi-year old discussion.

If you feel that strongly, then take it to court. But since the market place does offer other options, and you weren't forced to buy this phone, I don't think you have much of a case. The information about this is readily available too, so you could have checked before you purchased. 

Options

22 Posts

10-18-2012

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 10 of 21

2016-01-07, 19:45 PM

But I'm not a Verizon customer and I'm not a Motorola customer. I don't go to Verizon for support. So what gives Verizon the right to withhold the unlock code from me when I have not business relationship with them?

BTW - I appreciate the feedback. I was looking for people to not agree with me. I want to see if I'm missing something. So far no one has made a good arguments as to why I should be denied an unlock code. But - keep trying. If I see a good reason I'll change my mind.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms

Most Liked Authors

(Last 7 days)