Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CowboyJMB
Punch Card
Views: 1,089
Message 1 of 9

No Android Marshmallow for Moto MAXX?

Hello, I currently have the Moto MAXX XT1250. I live in the US.

I am curious as to why I'm still stuck on Android 5.0.2??? My friend that has a Droid Turbo on Verizon received his update a month ago, and we are talking virtually the same phone! As far as I know, the Marshmallow update has been rolled out in other countries too. So what gives? If these other phones are getting updates, why hasn't mine received one yet? Thanks.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 1,061
Message 2 of 9

Re: No Android Marshmallow for Moto MAXX?

@CowboyJMB wrote:

Hello, I currently have the Moto MAXX XT1250. I live in the US.

I am curious as to why I'm still stuck on Android 5.0.2??? My friend that has a Droid Turbo on Verizon received his update a month ago, and we are talking virtually the same phone! As far as I know, the Marshmallow update has been rolled out in other countries too. So what gives? If these other phones are getting updates, why hasn't mine received one yet? Thanks.

What is your system version ? It sounds like you have the "regional carrier" variant, and it didn't get updated. Likely there were not many sold. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
CowboyJMB
Punch Card
Views: 1,049
Message 3 of 9

System version is

22.34.27.quark_lra.LRA.en.US acg

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 1,039
Message 4 of 9

@CowboyJMB wrote:

System version is

22.34.27.quark_lra.LRA.en.US acg

That is the regional phone that never got updated. You would need the international Moto Maxx or Droid Turbo to get the M update.  

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
CowboyJMB
Punch Card
Views: 1,029
Message 5 of 9

That makes no sense whatsoever. It's the same phone, and there is no good reason that I haven't received an update. I have also emailed Moto support, hopefully they can figure out how to get me an update. Even if they aren't pushing Marshmallow over the air for my phone, there isn't any reason they can't send me an update file.

Thank you for your insight.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 1,026
Message 6 of 9

@CowboyJMB wrote:

That makes no sense whatsoever. It's the same phone, and there is no good reason that I haven't received an update. I have also emailed Moto support, hopefully they can figure out how to get me an update. Even if they aren't pushing Marshmallow over the air for my phone, there isn't any reason they can't send me an update file.

Thank you for your insight.

Software builds are different for every phone. The turbo software only works on verizon phones,  while the Bazil or Indian software only works on those phones. There was no software developed to push to your phone. 

The phone you have was an exclusive for smaller rural carriers.  This situation is not uncomon. If you bought a Moto E that was made for Tracfone you would see similar limitations. 

CowboyJMB
Punch Card
Views: 1,017
Message 7 of 9

I know what you are saying about regional carriers and all that. However this phone must not be all that exclusive if I bought unlocked on Target.com.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 1,005
Message 8 of 9

@CowboyJMB wrote:

I know what you are saying about regional carriers and all that. However this phone must not be all that exclusive if I bought unlocked on Target.com.

Target and walmart do sell old stock. The phone is GSM unlocked, but it was designed for specific usa carriers. The Acg in the software version clearly shows the variant - Associated Carrier Group. Only the non- usa variants of Moto Maxx/Turbo and Verizon Droid Turbo got Android M.

Good luck, but this has been addressed before. I am sorry to say it, but This phone will not get Android 6. 

Netossauro
What's DOS?
Views: 939
Message 9 of 9

Hi there!

We have the same problem. I bought my Moto maxx US version (XT1250) on e-bay last year, and I am stuck on 5.0.2 Android. I am already losing the hope of getting a Android 6 update for it, and I am even considering getting a cyanogen ROM for it. The main issue is reseting the entire phone, getting my apps installed again, etc. I´ve sent an email with complaints for Lenovo / Motorola asking about the possibility of having an update, I wuish luck for us