cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 796
Message 11 of 19

Re: when will moto turbo xt1225 get 6.0 update.??

Moved thread from droid turbo to Moto turbo forum. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Former Employee
Views: 784
Message 12 of 19

@JohnJay wrote:

I could not agree less with your analysis.

Whose?

I am a former employee not a support professional so any help I offer here is as a fellow user.
KarlBeckman
Token Ring
Views: 779
Message 13 of 19

I think he is grumbling about my example of an automobile and the Droid phones [both of which no USA inhabitants seem to be able to live without]. Aside from safety recalls ordered by NHTSA, after the original sale and a considerable period of beneficial use by the owner, car manufacturers don't voluntarily update previous models to new software with new or modified features at their own expense. He feels this is not an apples to apples comparison, but offers no other.

JohnJay
Punch Card
Views: 766
Message 14 of 19

@KarlBeckman wrote:

When you purchased that phone (which is NOT a Verizon Droid Turbo) you bought a smartphone with a working software operating system, just as I purchased a new SUV from Ford Motor Co at about the same time. I don't expect Ford to upgrade my 2015 car to all the new software applications that are coming on the 2017 model; why do you think that Motorola is required to update your phone in a similar fashion because a 3rd party Google has made changes to their proprietary operating system? Next, comparing Verizon's role as provider of the 3G and 4G telephonic tollroad highway networks, do you expect your city, county, and state to re-stripe all their roadways with new more highly reflective lane marking paint just so that someone who buys a new car with 'driverless' accessory options can more easily stay within its traffic lane? More to the point, why should you insist that the manufacturer and network provider design, test, and install those changes at their (significant) cost on a time schedule that you, not they, arbitrarily determine to be sufficient for the work involved?

Sorry, my previous post missed this paste. This is what I do not agree with. I am not looking to demean anyone or thoughts. I just don't agree. 

KarlBeckman
Token Ring
Views: 746
Message 15 of 19

Yes, I understand that you disagree with one of the analyses given, and I also mean no ill will.  I was simply pointing out that the update you expect to receive for free is not something customarily provided by the device manufacturer, especially when the update is for new features being introduced, rather than just fixes for harmful security issues.

If I correctly read and understand the blog article you referenced, the writer indicated that some security flaws were found within the general Android Lollipop code. He did not say that the version of Lollipop loaded on your XT1225 or my XT1254 phone after the soak tests still included those security flaws.  He DID imply that any delay in providing the update to Marshmallow after the flaws  were reported left those phones vulnerable to security attacks.  I do not believe that implication is accurate.  Further, the upgrade content and timing is determined by the carrier (Verizon for all Droid phones by Motorola), NOT Lenovo or Motorola.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 742
Message 16 of 19

@KarlBeckman wrote:

Yes, I understand that you disagree with one of the analyses given, and I also mean no ill will.  I was simply pointing out that the update you expect to receive for free is not something customarily provided by the device manufacturer, especially when the update is for new features being introduced, rather than just fixes for harmful security issues.

If I correctly read and understand the blog article you referenced, the writer indicated that some security flaws were found within the general Android Lollipop code. He did not say that the version of Lollipop loaded on your XT1225 or my XT1254 phone after the soak tests still included those security flaws.  He DID imply that any delay in providing the update to Marshmallow after the flaws  were reported left those phones vulnerable to security attacks.  I do not believe that implication is accurate.  Further, the upgrade content and timing is determined by the carrier (Verizon for all Droid phones by Motorola), NOT Lenovo or Motorola.

Not arguing with your analogy, but this thread and phone (XT1225) is for the MOTO Turbo/Maxx - neither are Verizon or carrier branded phones. So they should get updates before Verizon, but not always. The Droid Turbo has not been updated yet either. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
KarlBeckman
Token Ring
Views: 738
Message 17 of 19

Sorry, the thread originated in the Droid Turbo list before it was moved here to correctly reflect the OP's actual phone model XT1225. Meanwhile I am PATIENTLY awaiting OTA update to Marshmallow on my XT1254, not pitching a hissy-fit every week. As a retired Motorolan, I know that quality software takes time to write and test. And it takes 10x more time and 10X more money to fix if mistakes are pushed into the field devices!

jey114
Punch Card
Views: 677
Message 18 of 19

Hi today recive the update to 6.0.1 marshmallow 

Highlighted
Former Employee
Views: 641
Message 19 of 19

Good for you.

I am a former employee not a support professional so any help I offer here is as a fellow user.