10-19-2013

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 1 of 18

Kit Kat dialer missing business search?

2013-11-20, 7:09 AM

The Kit Kat phone dialer is supposed to let you search for nearby businesses, as you see in this screenshot from the Ars Technica review I've attached.

However, on my Moto X, the search box just says "Type a name or phone number" and not "Search contacts & nearby places" so you can't search for businesses from inside the dialer.

Anyone else seen this?  This is a really convenient piece of functionality and it would be too bad if it's missing in the Moto X version.

My phone is connected to a corporate Exchange server for email, which does enforce some extra security policies, but I don't think it would restrict this as similar searches in Google Maps work fine.

Options

7 Posts

11-14-2013

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 2 of 18

Re: Kit Kat dialer missing business search?

2013-11-20, 7:40 AM

I noticed this as well and was really bummed out, but even in the Moto blog post, they specifically avoid calling out this functionality, and instead frame it as the functionality we have: typing a person's name, or selecting from a list of favorites.

This is by way of saying I'm a bit frustrated and not hopeful that it's just a bug, but was intentionally left out for some reason.

Options

2733 Posts

03-08-2010

United States

1 Signins

4 Page Views

• Views: 4
  • Message 3 of 18

2013-11-20, 7:45 AM

I am not sure if this will work (my x is on at&t and is still not on kit kat), but I have a nexus 4 with kitkat with this option. Check when in dialer if you can open settings, click on "Nearby places" and set switch to "On". Again, this is a long shot and may not work on moto x but doesn't hurt to try.

Options

7 Posts

11-14-2013

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 4 of 18

2013-11-20, 7:49 AM

drago said:

I am not sure if this will work (my x is on at&t and is still not on kit kat), but I have a nexus 4 with kitkat with this option. Check when in dialer if you can open settings, click on "Nearby places" and set switch to "On". Again, this is a long shot and may not work on moto x but doesn't hurt to try.

View original

Yeah, that's what also worried me. The reviews for other devices mentioned this as a setting. It's not a setting in the Moto X dialer. Thanks, though.

Options

2733 Posts

03-08-2010

United States

1 Signins

4 Page Views

• Views: 4
  • Message 5 of 18

2013-11-20, 7:57 AM

That is a bummer :(. Hopefully it comes as an update. The dialer is ripe to get its standalone playstore app as camera, keyboard, calendar etc. did and that it is on its way.

Options

11 Posts

10-19-2013

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 6 of 18

2013-11-20, 8:00 AM

Yes, I looked for the "Nearby places" setting because it is mentioned in the Ars Technica article as well.  Moto X builds of Kit Kat don't appear to have it.

From the Ars Technica review, the only other item I expected to see for sure in the Moto X build was the Cloud Print plugin (I mentioned that in another thread in this forum).  Given that Motorola is now "a Google company" as the splash screen on Kit Kat prominently says, it is odd that usages of Google products got left out.

Options

9 Posts

11-20-2013

US

7 Signins

126 Page Views

• Views: 126
  • Message 7 of 18

2013-11-20, 15:51 PM

HP Cloud Print installed when I updated to KitKat, but I'm missing the new themes and some other stuff. I still have the Jelly Bean notification sounds and ringtones. I also don't have the updated white folders for KitKat. The dialer icon is also the Jelly Bean version.

Options

7 Posts

11-14-2013

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 8 of 18

2013-11-21, 8:15 AM

I'm hoping we'll see the dialer.apk pulled out as a separate file we can install. I was reading its moved to a telephony.apk file that's part of /system, so maybe not a simple change on non-rooted systems, but this is a big bummer I wish we'd hear something back from Moto on... why kneecap a sweet feature that they're heralding specifically for Kitkat?

Options

11 Posts

10-19-2013

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 9 of 18

2013-11-21, 16:16 PM
In today's Ars Technica article about Kit Kat on the Moto X, this missing feature of the dialer was noticed..
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013/11/hands-on-with-kitkat-on-the-moto-x-more-of-the-same-less-blue/
The author seems to have contacts at Motorola and is following up with them. Hopefully we'll get an answer that way, watch that article.
Options

1 Posts

11-21-2013

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 10 of 18

2013-11-21, 16:23 PM

It also only works for businesses that have Google+ pages or are listed on Google Maps. I know that doesn't really help because most places have either of those so it is a long shot that you were getting called by someone with out that but it is at least something to consider.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete