13 Posts

05-24-2014

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 1 of 13

Moto X - Front microphone not working properly

2014-05-24, 2:12 AM

Hello all, 

I wanted to know if anyone is having any issues with their front microphone like I am. A few weeks ago, I noticed that my Moto X wasn't picking up any of my voice commands from as far a distance as it used to, but it would eventually still pick it up if I spoke louder. What I didn't realize was that it's actually lost sensitivity somehow. Here's an example:

If I call someone and speak normally, they won't hear anything; however, speaking loudly directly into the mic will work. Only they can't really hear what I'm saying. I've tried re-recording the hotkey phrase and either I'm too quiet or it reports I'm too close to the mic for it to understand. 

The back microphone works, as I assume that when I have the phone in speaker, it defaults to that mic. I'm not sure exactly how long it's been going on since I primarily use bluetooth to speak on the phone. 

And to be sure all of the solutions are covered:

1. My screen protector has an appropriate hole at all necessary points.

2. Phone case was purchased directly from Moto Maker and also has appropriate holes in all places. 

3. Phone is undamaged and has never been dropped. 

4. I'm assuming the problem mic is the one at the front, below the screen, near the charge port. I actually don't know where non-speakerphone calls are recorded, but it seems that it's that one. 

5. I actually don't know if it's the mic or a software issue, but it makes sense as no one can hear me when I call and speak with normal volume, and the Touchless Control won't hear me unless I speak loudly, directly to the phone (with my mouth about an inch away). 

6. I rebooted in Safe Mode and the issue still occurs.

7. I also did a Factory Rest and that did not resolve the issue. 

I was curious about possibly cleaning the microphones, but I read that people were damaging their mics using toothpicks and compressed air, so I refrained from doing so. Also, looking closely at the front mic, it seems that it's sealed or covered by something transparent anyway, so I'm curious over how it could be damaged by anything if it's protected. 

I contacted Motorola 5 days ago and received an email the day after saying they'll get back to me within 24 hours, but I've yet to hear from them. I was also wondering what everyone's experience was with how long it takes for customer service to reply. 

Thank you!

Solved! See the solution
Options

1485 Posts

08-11-2013

US

694 Signins

8363 Page Views

• Views: 8363
  • Message 2 of 13

Re: Moto X - Front microphone not working properly

2014-05-24, 2:32 AM

You mention:   "...it seems that it's sealed or covered by something transparent anyway, so I'm curious over how it could be damaged by anything if it's protected."

I just took a look at my front microphone with a jeweler's loop, and I don't see anything in the nature of a transparent seal or covering, just what appears to be a recessed dark area, much like a speaker grill. ANY chance some stray piece of plastic got lodge in the microphone port? I know, seems like a longshot, but just in case...

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

13 Posts

05-24-2014

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 3 of 13

2014-05-24, 2:52 AM

That's really odd. Where the screen-protector cutout is, it seems the microphone is sealed, and in such a way that it's flush with the rest of the surface, so it doesn't appear out of place in the least. 

Actually, this is quite hilarious. The moment I read your post, I double checked and and clearly remember placing the screen protector on and plopping out the little hole cutouts. I actually was thinking there might be a difference between model types until I got curious and I started picking at the plastic on the mic. 

surprise>>IT CAME OFF<<surprise

How embarrassing. I've done these a few dozens times and now and for the life of me can't think of why I didn't pop out out the screen protector hole for the front. Meanwhile, all of the others cutouts were removed when the protector was placed on.

Thank you for making me re-check. That's...unfortunate that I had to worry for such a long time about it. Truly, embarrassing.  

It works perfectly now. 

Options

13219 Posts

02-02-2016

US

1406 Signins

8895 Page Views

• Views: 8895
  • Message 4 of 13

2014-05-24, 3:20 AM
We all do things like that. Thankfully @RevLauren responded to your post. I
was about to post the same thing. The most common issue with screen
protectors is interference of the proximity sensor but as you found out
other things can get blocked too. Glad @RevLauren was able to help you.
Enjoy your X!
Options

1485 Posts

08-11-2013

US

694 Signins

8363 Page Views

• Views: 8363
  • Message 5 of 13

2014-05-24, 4:25 AM

That's okay, @3phemeral. Don't be embarrassed! We've ALL had those "oh, for pete's sake" kinds of moments. Just glad you mentioned the mic seemed to have a covering, and it was an easy fix!

Options

2 Posts

11-01-2014

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 6 of 13

2014-11-01, 15:25 PM
Hey 3phemeral, I am from India and I bought Moto X 5 months from now and I am having the same exact problem you mentioned....please tell if you got a solution for this problem now. Please do reply.
Options

12372 Posts

02-02-2016

US

2935 Signins

20947 Page Views

• Views: 20947
  • Message 7 of 13

2014-11-01, 17:42 PM

Vimanyu said:

Hey 3phemeral, I am from India and I bought Moto X 5 months from now and I am having the same exact problem you mentioned....please tell if you got a solution for this problem now. Please do reply.View original

If you'll read the posts in this thread, you'll see that @3phemeral's problem was solved back in May when, at the suggestion of @RevLauren, he (or she) removed a piece of plastic that covered the microphone.  The phone's hardware was not malfunctioning.

Could the same be the case with your phone?  Have you looked at the microphone with a magnifying glass?

Options

13 Posts

05-24-2014

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 8 of 13

2014-11-01, 23:28 PM

Vimanyu said:

Hey 3phemeral, I am from India and I bought Moto X 5 months from now and I am having the same exact problem you mentioned....please tell if you got a solution for this problem now. Please do reply.View original

@crystallet is correct in that it was a plastic cut-put that I left on the screen cover. I neglected to punch a hole through it, which is why it would only detect my voice if I spoke directly next to it. After punching the hole out, it's functioned fine since. 

Options

1 Posts

07-02-2015

Brazil

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 9 of 13

2015-11-13, 5:50 AM

Solution found for Moto 1st Front Mic Issue solved.

I have a  Moto X 1st gen AT&T Unlocked phone purchased in INDIA Last Year, issue i faced is my Voice cuts in and out randomly suspected microphone issue. The person on the other end of a voice call cannot hear me, but i can Hear them Clearly, but after searching for a long time, i last my hope planned to replaced my Front Mic, mean While i got Lollipop Update issue but still issue remains

i just changed some settings now front MIC is working fine i like to share with you ALL 

Settings > Battery > Upper right you an see option type button select > Battery saver > turn On

(To help improve battery life, battery saver reduces your device's performance and most background data that rely on syncing may not update unless you open them)  Suspected that Mic related App is running its making an issue

After enabling Battery saver my phone turned to Red, but phone call are Clear and Better

If this solution is working for ALL,

I request Motorola team to help to update and Fix this Bug

Hope this solution will help You

Regards,

Pradeep

Options

2 Posts

07-29-2016

IN

1 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 10 of 13

2016-07-29, 12:11 PM

Even i too have mic issue , pls tell what is fix for it....

Most people could not able hear they are saying 

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete