11-16-2012

United States

6 Signins

45 Page Views

• Views: 45
  • Message 1 of 15

Moto X on Verizon Can't Receive Text Messages

2016-03-30, 20:48 PM

I have two Moto X 2013 Developer Edition phones on the Verizon network and one stopped receiving text messages on Thursday, March 24th the other phone stopped receiving messages yesterday.

Calling works, everything works, even sending text messages but they will not receive text messages.

This past Monday, I spent about an hour and a half on the phone with Verizon tech support trying new apps, deleting messages, wiping cache, trying safe mode and ultimately they recommended a factory system reset.

Today I called back as the first time I called only one phone had the issues now both do, Verizon informed me some code Motorola put in the phone is no longer supported thus the phone has to be reprovisioned which requires doing a factory reset so it can be reprogrammed. In other words, Verizon said it isn't our fault blame Motorola.

I've also seen a few others with this same problem within the last couple of weeks on other forums.

Does this make any sense to anyone here? I really would like to avoid doing a factory reset that may or may not help.

I know there are some old threads about this but this seems to be a new recent issue that is just now happening to multiple users. Thanks for any help that can be provided.

Options

28352 Posts

02-02-2016

US

5841 Signins

132765 Page Views

• Views: 132765
  • Message 2 of 15

Re: Moto X on Verizon Can't Receive Text Messages

2016-04-01, 13:05 PM

It makes no sense to me.  More likely Verizon changed something. But if they are saying a reset is required, they must know something.  

The first gen X Verizon software is still Verizon, so you are at their mercy.  

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Options

4 Posts

11-16-2012

United States

6 Signins

45 Page Views

• Views: 45
  • Message 3 of 15

2016-04-01, 13:59 PM

Thanks for the reply.

I ended up doing a factory reset on one of the phones with no luck.

Verizon told me it was a motorola issue so I did contact motorola did some troubleshooting that didn't help and they basically said well sorry your device is out of warranty.

The breakdown I got from verizon tech support is these are the notes on the issue

To correct issue
1-Visual Voice Mail must be removed from account (if it has not been done already)
2-Device data must be backed up
3-Master/Factory reset required on device

So it definitely sounds like verizon changed something but so far the only solution I've seen that worked for people previously is upgrading from kitkat to lollipop which I would rather not do as kitkat works just fine otherwise.

Options

10 Posts

09-08-2014

2 Signins

12 Page Views

• Message 4 of 15

2016-04-04, 3:34 AM
Very interested in your problem, as I thought I was the only one! Around March 24, my Verizon Moto X (still running 4.4.4) suddenly stopped accepting text messages. Like you, everything else worked fine, including sending text messages. I also tried uninstalling and reinstalling apps, deleting old text messages, wiping cache, booting to safe mode, etc. No luck. I talked to Verizon and they said the only cure was to wipe the phone. They did not mention any problem with Motorola. I was reluctant to spend the time doing a reset, but finally did, reloaded all of the same software (but still on 4.4.4), and the phone is now accepting text message. I wonder if the issue is related to having not upgraded to 5.1.
Options

15438 Posts

02-04-2016

US

260 Signins

3971 Page Views

• Views: 3971
  • Message 5 of 15

2016-04-04, 3:43 AM

wrote:
Very interested in your problem, as I thought I was the only one! Around March 24, my Verizon Moto X (still running 4.4.4) suddenly stopped accepting text messages. Like you, everything else worked fine, including sending text messages. I also tried uninstalling and reinstalling apps, deleting old text messages, wiping cache, booting to safe mode, etc. No luck. I talked to Verizon and they said the only cure was to wipe the phone. They did not mention any problem with Motorola. I was reluctant to spend the time doing a reset, but finally did, reloaded all of the same software (but still on 4.4.4), and the phone is now accepting text message. I wonder if the issue is related to having not upgraded to 5.1.

I wouldn't put it past Verizon to do something like this. It is a good way to push people into an upgrade. Remember that it takes more money to support a phone that is not on the most current OS. It is more programming in their system and more space on their servers.

I am not a Motorola/Lenovo Employee. I am just a volunteer who happens to be a Moderator. All comments are my own and are not necessarily Motorola/Lenovo's position.

Options

8 Posts

12-02-2014

US

1 Signins

47 Page Views

• Views: 47
  • Message 6 of 15

2016-04-05, 2:36 AM

I can't really offer any help that hasn't already been given, but I will confirm that I, too, suddenly stopped receiving text messages on my unlocked & rooted 4.4.4 2013 VZW Dev Edition Moto X sometime on either 3/24 or 3/25 for no discernable reason whatsoever.

I talked to Verizon and tried all the easy fixes like you did (plus a few more), but ultimately, begrudgingly, performed the factory reset (no upgrade to 5.1) and can now receive text messages OK.

Options

4 Posts

04-18-2017

US

3 Signins

33 Page Views

• Views: 33
  • Message 7 of 15

2017-04-20, 2:24 AM

Not a Moto X but a G5 plus here. Otherwise the same problem, everything works except receiving SMS, even MMS messages can be received.  Just got the phone Monday and hasn't worked from the start.  I switched to my wife's sim card to test it and can receive texts to her number on my device.  I've tried a reset and chatted online with Verizon support without a solution.  Thoughts?

Options

4211 Posts

02-25-2016

US

2146 Signins

35065 Page Views

• Views: 35065
  • Message 8 of 15

2017-04-20, 2:31 AM

What was your last phone?

*the search bar is your friend*
-This is a peer to peer support forum, MOTOXPRTs are volunteers, not Motorola employees
Options

4 Posts

04-18-2017

US

3 Signins

33 Page Views

• Views: 33
  • Message 9 of 15

2017-04-20, 2:39 AM

A lost first generation Moto X.

Options

4211 Posts

02-25-2016

US

2146 Signins

35065 Page Views

• Views: 35065
  • Message 10 of 15

2017-04-20, 2:49 AM

Ok, that rules out my first train of thought.

Can you check your APN settings?

They're under settings > under wireless&networks tap more > then select cellular networks > and then Access Point Names. Tap on the one that is highlighted. It should match one of these

*the search bar is your friend*
-This is a peer to peer support forum, MOTOXPRTs are volunteers, not Motorola employees
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete