05-25-2014

Canada

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 1 of 8

"Speak PIN to unlock" when in NFC Unlock mode

2014-05-25, 18:39 PM

Has anyone been able to use the "Speak PIN to unlock" feature when using a Moto Skip in NFC Unlock mode as the primary unlock method with a PIN as the secondary unlock method?

When I first got my Moto X, I was able to do this, as far as I can recall.  After some updates, it seems the "Speak to Unlock" feature stopped working unless a PIN was the primary method of unlocking the phone.

I wish the software would allow me to speak my PIN code in both PIN and NFC Unlock modes, since both modes can recognize a PIN.  

Options

1 Posts

06-18-2014

India

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 2 of 8

Re: "Speak PIN to unlock" when in NFC Unlock mode

2014-06-18, 2:57 AM

I was wondering the same thing myself.  I just got my Moto X and was disappointed to find that I couldn't unlock the phone using Touchless Control after I configured it to use the Skip and NFC Unlock.  Does Motorola read the forums?

Options

12372 Posts

02-02-2016

US

2935 Signins

20947 Page Views

• Views: 20947
  • Message 3 of 8

2014-06-18, 10:27 AM

This forum is designed as a peer-to-peer forum, for users to help users.  There are a few Motorola employees in here...both forum managers are employees.  They don't read every thread, but they do escalate serious problems.  Employees are identified by an M in a red circle next to their names.  

I seem to remember a thread similar to this when the X first launched, but I can't find it now.  FWIW, though, I wouldn't want to employ two unlock methods that don't require actually touching the phone.  

If other users haven't chimed in yet, it may be that this isn't a common use case.   Hopefully another person has the answer.

Options

170 Posts

11-22-2013

United States

1 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 4 of 8

2014-06-18, 14:21 PM

I have the moto x and use NFC unlock. I also use the HX550 headset. With the HX550 as a trusted device I don't have to worry about unlocking my phone all that often. I did notice that the speak pin is disabled and quite frankly I like that. I'm with crystallet on this one. Two ways to unlock the phone without touching the screen is potentially problematic. I think the key is to have your skip dots strategically placed. I have a dock in the car that I use and have a skip dot there. A dock at work (arriving today) that I will transfer the dot from my desk to that. Finally I have my actual skip in my wallet in my front pocket. With a simple wave I can activate the screen and unlcok. There are still times where I use the pin but those are rare.

There are some very specific instances where touchless controls with speak pin unlock would be better than the currrent method. But I suppose if I knew I was getting into one of those situations like cooking, I would disable NFC and use PIN. That does requires some foresight and planning though.

Options

4 Posts

05-25-2014

Canada

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 5 of 8

2014-06-18, 22:29 PM

What is it that makes two touchless unlock methods problematic for you guys?  Is it a security concern?  I think the Skip itself is a pretty big security concern to begin with.  I personally don't feel that adding the touchless unlock to the mix makes things much worse, but that's just my own opinion.  Your raising the concern at least makes me feel a bit better about not being able to have both features at once.  

I've chosen not to use my Skip anymore because of one specific case where I really want to be able to be able to speak my PIN: even though I've made my car's bluetooth stereo a trusted device, I still have to unlock the phone using a PIN one time before having the freedom to unlock without it.  For obvious reasons I don't want to enter the PIN using my hands while driving my car.  I can't say I mind having to enter the PIN one time, really, because someone could steal both my car and my phone and potentially have free access to the data on my phone.

I still wish I could at least have the option to use both the Skip and the touchless PIN...but as crystallet points out, it may not be a common use case.  

Options

12372 Posts

02-02-2016

US

2935 Signins

20947 Page Views

• Views: 20947
  • Message 6 of 8

2014-06-18, 23:19 PM

To my way of thinking...just my opinion, of course...unless you're always where no one can hear you, speaking your PIN is a bad practice.  I just think that if me and my phone are separated, like if I leave it at my desk, whatever method I use to lock the phone shouldn't be easy for someone to pick up.  I think about lost skips, overheard PINs, things like that.  Whether I use a PIN or a pattern, I'm forever wiping the screen so the smudges can't be seen.  I think our homes and our cars are places for the convenience of an NFC unlock or spoken PIN (unless you have a baby like the one that managed to buy a car by accident),      

Call me paranoid...    :-/

Options

4 Posts

05-25-2014

Canada

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 7 of 8

2014-06-18, 23:24 PM

Makes perfect sense.  I even worry about my neighbors overhearing me speaking my PIN, so I mostly only do that in my car.  

Options

4 Posts

05-11-2017

US

5 Signins

27 Page Views

• Views: 27
  • Message 8 of 8

2017-05-11, 21:30 PM

True unless your alone in your car and don't want to touch the screen while driving

wrote:

To my way of thinking...just my opinion, of course...unless you're always where no one can hear you, speaking your PIN is a bad practice.  I just think that if me and my phone are separated, like if I leave it at my desk, whatever method I use to lock the phone shouldn't be easy for someone to pick up.  I think about lost skips, overheard PINs, things like that.  Whether I use a PIN or a pattern, I'm forever wiping the screen so the smudges can't be seen.  I think our homes and our cars are places for the convenience of an NFC unlock or spoken PIN (unless you have a baby like the one that managed to buy a car by accident),      

Call me paranoid...    :-/

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete