India

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 1 of 9

Uninstall/Disable SMS/MMS App

2015-03-24, 14:04 PM

Hello,

I want to uninstall or disable the SMS/MMS (standard) Messaging App on my Moto X 2014 because I use the Google Handouts App.

Unfortunately it can't be disabled.

I don't understand why? Even the Dialer App could be disabled.

I read on reddit it can't be disabled because it 
provides the background system for other 3rd party SMS apps.

So why didn't you integrate it in the android system and let me disable this useless app? :'-(

Greets,

Felix

Options

15 Posts

01-04-2015

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 2 of 9

Re: Uninstall/Disable SMS/MMS App

2015-03-24, 14:08 PM
If you go to settings>more>default MMS app, change it to hangouts, this way you won't get any messages from the messaging app, and yes, the main messaging app, cannot be disabled, it does provide basic functions to get the messaging working.
Options

13 Posts

01-14-2015

India

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 3 of 9

2015-03-24, 14:14 PM

cervantesjc said:

If you go to settings>more>default MMS app, change it to hangouts, this way you won't get any messages from the messaging app, and yes, the main messaging app, cannot be disabled, it does provide basic functions to get the messaging working.View original

Yes, I know that - the first thing I did with my Moto X 2014.

But I want the delete this useless app from my drawer.

I think nobody use this app.

Why did Motorola made this so inconvenient?

Options

12372 Posts

02-02-2016

United States of America

2935 Signins

20947 Page Views

• Views: 20947
  • Message 4 of 9

2015-03-24, 14:16 PM

If I'm not mistaken, it's the functionality of the texting app that powers the use of Hangouts as a texting app.  Without it, Hangouts won't work for texting.

And a lot of people use the default texting app.  I know I do.    :-)

Options

15 Posts

01-04-2015

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 5 of 9

2015-03-24, 14:20 PM
The massaging app it's an AOSP, it's a system app, Motorola is using AOSP, if you don't like the app on your drawer, you can use a custom launcher like Nova launcher, and hide the icon, since you don't get notifications, you won't even notice it's there.
Options

13 Posts

01-14-2015

India

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 6 of 9

2015-03-24, 14:21 PM

crystallet said:

If I'm not mistaken, it's the functionality of the texting app that powers the use of Hangouts as a texting app.  Without it, Hangouts won't work for texting.

And a lot of people use the default texting app.  I know I do.    :-)

View original

Yeah I allready read that, but on the Nexus 5 or Nexus 6 you could use ONLY Hangouts too.

So there must be a way to integrate this functionality in the system to use an alternative messaging app.

Haha, never tried some alternative apps so far? ;-)

Options

15 Posts

01-04-2015

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 7 of 9

2015-03-24, 14:31 PM
You can replace the system messaging app, but this requires you to be rooted, but doing this can void you warranty.
You can replace the messaging system app, with hangouts, but this can cause big problems.

As I said, I use hangouts as my main messaging app, I still have the stock app, but since I don't receive notifications, I don't really even notice it's still there, I probably would if I had OCD.
Options

161 Posts

12-21-2009

United Kingdom

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 8 of 9

2015-03-24, 20:31 PM

I just had to check my Moto X to see if I still had the messaging app. I really couldn't remember if it was still there or not. 

You have to root to get rid of it if you still want to use the Google Now Launcher. Otherwise use a different launcher that you can hide apps in. I wouldn't personally try to delete it entirely, I'm not sure myself about the services it may still be needed for, but you can't delete either Hangouts or Messages on the Moto X.

Maybe soon Google will release a version of the GNL in which you can hide apps. It's getting steadily more customisable as time goes on.

It's part of the AOSP release, but I don't believe that it must be there. It's a choice for those who don't want to have their SMS and MMS running through Google controlled services. Most OEMs put their own version on, but Motorola are trying to stay as true to the Google vision as possible, so they've saved time and energy by using that instead of wasting time hiring people to make a new one.

Options

15438 Posts

02-04-2016

United States of America

260 Signins

3971 Page Views

• Views: 3971
  • Message 9 of 9

2015-03-24, 20:39 PM

Deleting apps is not a good idea. You will take yourself out of the running to get an OTA. The messaging app is the backbone for texts. All other apps read from it for the texts. I don't know why it is that way, but it has always been that way as far back as, at least, 2009. I know because that is when I had the OG Motorola Droid.

There may be ways to get around it, but please remember that recommending those ways or talking about them are against house rules. This forum was designed to talk about stock only options. Hacking/modding talk won't be allowed. Thank you and hope this helps.

I am not a Motorola/Lenovo Employee. I am just a volunteer who happens to be a Moderator. All comments are my own and are not necessarily Motorola/Lenovo's position.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms