Motorola Community

Unlockable PhonesMOTO X™ (DEVELOPER EDITION)
All Forum Topics
Options

2 Posts

08-01-2015

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 1 of 2

How do I relock my Moto X DE bootloader?

2015-08-02, 12:57 PM

I have a Moto X (1st Gen) Developer Edition XT1053 (running Lollipop as upgraded following carrier OTAs). My phone died last week (booted to black screen, got hot, wouldn't respond. Formatting cache and data from recovery did nothing to fix it). Other than this attempt to fix the phone, it has never been unlocked.

To repair it, I obtained the factory image (MOTO X, GSM Dev Edition L-5.1-LPA23.12-15 (Retail) LMR1) and attempted to restore it.

Everything worked except the oem relock. The instructions on the factory firmware page suggest that merely typing "fastboot oem lock" will work. The phone returns an error that I must use "fastboot oem lock begin." Other instructions indicate that I need to add my unlock code. Regardless, I can't even flash the images without errors once I perform a "fastboot oem lock begin" (I am using the fastboot tool in the factory image archive)

After far too many hours of fighting with it, I have one of two errors:

No Valid PIV block in SP for system piv validation failed (system)

failed to hab check for (imagename) 0x56

Normally a hab check failure would indicate a non-genuine image. I get the hab check failures on most of the images once I execute "fastboot oem lock begin" Nothing at all about the factory restore instructions works as described on the page.

How do I relock my bootloader?

Solved! See the solution
Options

2 Posts

08-01-2015

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 2 of 2

Re: How do I relock my Moto X DE bootloader?

2015-08-07, 2:46 AM

Let me restate, I apparently have a Moto X "Enthusiast Edition" that was mislabeled as a "Developer Edition"

For anyone looking for help on this, Motorola support will be absolutely useless. Chalk it up as a loss and go back to Nexus for development devices.

The basic summary is that the instructions for reflashing appear to work for second generation devices only that don't require the bootloader unlock code. If you perform a "fastboot oem lock begin", none of the Lollipop images (boot, recovery, system) validate (with error failed to hab check for (imagename) 0x56), if you do an "oem unlock begin" just ahead of only the system.img, it will fail with a preflash validation as soon as the first chunk is sent and, if you flash all the factory images, do an "oem lock begin", wipe userdata and cache, and then "fastboot oem lock" (or "fastboot oem lock [UNLOCKEY]" as another poster discovered is actually required and, no, fastboot oem lock begin [UNLOCKKEY] doesn't help) then you will get the No Valid PIV block in SP for system piv validation failed (system) error.

At this point, it's not clear the the Lollipop images on the factory restore page are even signed correctly. So, as long as you ignore security, you can reflash the images without validation and run insecure (unlocked.) It would also seem that it's possible to restore with the officially unavailable RSD Lite with the correct set of files, which are not provided by Motorola.

UPDATE: The stagefright OTA confirms that the "factory" image for the Moto X GSM Dev Edition on the Motorola site is invalid. If you attempt to install the stagefright OTA after flashing the "factory" image you will get an error due to signature check failures as described here:

https://forums.motorola.com/posts/3685137c64

WARNING: If you do overcome this issue, your security version will be bumped and you will not be able to flash the recovery/factory images with verification, including the official broken one posted on the Motorola site. If you want to oem lock the phone, you must do so before you take the OTA.

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete