Motorola Community

Unlockable PhonesMOTO X™ (DEVELOPER EDITION)
All Forum Topics
Options

44 Posts

08-29-2013

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 1 of 3

Waiting for Device...

2014-12-23, 4:05 AM

I just picked up a 2013 Moto x Dev Edition a couple weeks ago on eBay (new in the box). I decided to go through the process of unlocking the bootloader but am currently stuck. 

I'm having trouble getting the needed string which I'm to submit to Moto in order to get an unlock code for my devices bootloader. 

It seems like the phone is tripping out because I can get the phone to reboot into Fastboot by typing: 

$ adb reboot-bootloader 

Then when I type: 

$ fastboot oem get_unlock_data 

I see the following: 

< waiting for device > 

...and nothing else ever happens. A couple times when I gave up waiting and just rebooted the phone normally, USB debugging has been magically turned off. It had obviously been enabled before, as I was able to reboot the phone into fastboot in Terminal. 

I've also tried following the directions to the letter, as spelled out on Moto's "unlock my device" page by shutting the phone down manually, pressing the down volume and power button to access Fastboot, changing directories to where the Android SDK toolds live on my computer and typing: 

$ ./fastboot oem get_unlock_data

then I see: 

< waiting for device > 

And again nothing happens... 

BTW, I'm using a computer running Ubuntu 14.04 LTS. I've never had problems communicating with Nexus devices on my machine so this is a little strange. I even had one of the Linux engineers (also an Android nerd :-P) at work make sure I wasn't doing anything wrong and he agreed that it appeared I was doing everything correctly. 

Does anyone have any ideas? Perhaps, the phone has a problem? 

Thanks, 

~Slim 

Options

44 Posts

08-29-2013

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 2 of 3

Re: Waiting for Device...

2014-12-24, 13:46 PM

Problem solved. 

Thankfully, the Moto X Community on Google+ helped me solve this problem. It's a little disappointing that I never got a response here on the forum.  

~Slim 

Options

44 Posts

08-29-2013

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 3 of 3

Re: Waiting for Device...

2014-12-26, 20:22 PM

For anyone that is interested, here's an explanation on the Cyanogenmod wiki page explaining why in many Linux distributions, it is necessary to type sudo in front of adb &/or fastboot commands. 

http://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/UDEV 

That is essentially what was hindering me, though it wasn't completely obvious by what was returned by the send command in terminal. 

I did go through the process of setting up the udev rules as laid-out on the Cyanogenmod page so I can certainly try to help anyone else that tries to set it up and runs into trouble. 

~Slim

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete