Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MattMacor
What's DOS?
Views: 539
Message 1 of 10

Cached Data

How do you guys manage your cached data? Mine used to go up and down but recently it seems to just be rising, currently it is taking up more storage than my apps! Im not sure if this is normal or not so if anyone can check theirs out and let me know thatd be great. For comparison i have 1.00 gb apps and 1.02 gb cached data. 

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 2 of 10

Re: Cached Data

Depends what apps you're running. I know Google Music consumes huge amounts of cached data if you're saving locally.

Go to settings -> apps, and click on individual apps and see how much cached data they have. My Google Play Music is over 3GB. Just don't clear it or you'll loose all your locally stored music and playlists.

MattMacor
What's DOS?
Message 3 of 10

yeah i used to locally store it on my gnex with 32 gb but with the X and only 16 i only stream and dont store any on my device. The biggest would be Chrome for me which has 300 mb cached. The rest are all under 100. Can i clear the cache? What would i lose? Im guessing passwords and stuff on chrome, but for facebook or instagram, would I have to re-enter all my information?

rman18
What's DOS?
Message 4 of 10

Good call... I just checked and had nearly 2gigs cached.  Wow.  

Chrome was 250megs of that.  

MeganC1985
What's DOS?
Message 5 of 10

Clearing cache for your chrome on your phone would be the same as clearing on a cpu web browser, in regards to what it clears.  

tominbristol
802.11n
Message 6 of 10

You can monitor this with "App Cache Cleaner" app from the Play store...when it opens it will rank your apps by cache size and you can selectively clear them from the app.

HTH

MattMacor
What's DOS?
Message 7 of 10

So does anyone know why so much is cached. I just looked on an iphone 5s and an old razr maxx and neither of them seem to be affected by this cache thing. Having only 16 gigs on this and at least one of them getting taken up by cache is kind of concerning considering it is constantly growing.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 8 of 10

I use Clean Master everyday just to clean quickly.  Its free in the play store. As to why you are seeing this. Most apps let you choose how much cache space you give them. Others let you clear it on exit. You must have some apps that are the main problem.

KPrimeau1
SCSI Port
Views: 222
Message 9 of 10

If you clear your cache & data, your phone loses the screenshot of websites your device has already loaded into a file. In which case your device has to use more data to open those same websites again. You can manually clear data from websites you won't use again. It's in your best interest to keep this data so your device loads those sites faster and uses less data to load them. Does this even make sense.
Highlighted
sundarS
Fanfold Paper
Views: 23
Message 10 of 10

@MattMacor wrote:

yeah i used to locally store it on my gnex with 32 gb but with the X and only 16 i only stream and dont store any on my device. The biggest would be Chrome for me which has 300 mb cached. The rest are all under 100. Can i clear the cache? What would i lose? Im guessing passwords and stuff on chrome, but for facebook or instagram, would I have to re-enter all my information?

Clearing the cache usually does not require you to re-enter the information unless you are using the method of deleting the application with the cache in the settings. The way to clear the Instagram cache is to clear the history.

Top Kudoed Posts